That full feeling!

I have trouble knowing when to stop eating. It seems like the difference between not full and stuffed happens in one bite. I am trying to figure out how to know when to quit before I have that "full as a tick" (as us southerns say) feeling. Any suggestions?

I have trouble knowing when to stop eating. It seems like the difference between not full and stuffed happens in one bite. I am trying to figure out how to know when to quit before I have that "full as a tick" (as us southerns say) feeling. Any suggestions?

Good question... Full post band doesnt feel the same to me as pre band. I now associate full with pressure. If I feel the slightest bit, it's time to stop. I'm thinking this is a good association since I've never PB'ed. Maybe others will be able to give you a better answer :)

Amber

Dr. Ortiz said to me, the goal is to see how little you can eat and not be hungry. It is not to see how much you can eat before you are full. Try that and see if it helps.

I started on the creamy soup stage yesterday and could barely get in 1/2 of what I am allowed, before feeling pressure. I stopped eating, but within just a couple of hours my stomach was hurting so bad due to emptiness, so I am also questioning whether or not I was full or whether it was pressure or gas. Last night before bed, again my stomach hurt sooo bad, so I had an unsweetened pudding and slept like a baby. I guess time will tell and listening to my body for signals is key.

Cathy

I met Julie T (1.5 years banded) at my last fill, and she really helped me with this. With the idea that you should eat just enough to not be hungry, not to be full. She had several meals with me, asking how I was doing through the meals. She also had me separate my foods into separate portions on a salad plate, which I had to ask for. (I know the waiters thought I was weird.) I put a small portion on each 4th of the plate, and would eat that (or what I could of that.) After I finished the small portion, she would ask me how I felt. I told her many times that I didn't know, so she told me to get up, walk around a bit, and come back and see if I was still hungry. Several times I could eat a tiny bit more, but most of the time I just didn't feel hungry anymore and stopped. It is different than feeling full... it is just that I wasn't hungry anymore.

It has worked for me since I left TJ on Thursday. Thanks, Julie T for the good company and helpful advice. You made my trip to TJ so pleasurable.

Thanks for sharing that Paula. It's a great piece of advice. All these posts are great. Thanks for taking the time to share Amber. I "touch wood" don't have much stress in my life right now, however, ask me in a couple of weeks, when I have to cram for a course and write the exam mid July.. ugh!

I started on the creamy soup stage yesterday and could barely get in 1/2 of what I am allowed, before feeling pressure. I stopped eating, but within just a couple of hours my stomach was hurting so bad due to emptiness, so I am also questioning whether or not I was full or whether it was pressure or gas. Last night before bed, again my stomach hurt sooo bad, so I had an unsweetened pudding and slept like a baby. I guess time will tell and listening to my body for signals is key.

Cathy

Hi Cathy...

I had strained cream of mush. soup and it was about a 1/2 cup. I was SOOO full it hurt. I will NEVER do THAT again! I took a walk, then sat proped up against my pillows to read before I fell asleep about 2 hours later. My stomach still HURT. At 9:30 pm, I woke up to feeling the drain go through...and I had relief. It seems that once that happens I get hungry again quickly... This band is like a new toy...I'm still trying to figure out when I'm actually full/not hungry/ and starving! LOL! Good luck!

Hi Cathy...

I had strained cream of mush. soup and it was about a 1/2 cup. I was SOOO full it hurt. I will NEVER do THAT again! I took a walk, then sat proped up against my pillows to read before I fell asleep about 2 hours later. My stomach still HURT. At 9:30 pm, I woke up to feeling the drain go through...and I had relief. It seems that once that happens I get hungry again quickly... This band is like a new toy...I'm still trying to figure out when I'm actually full/not hungry/ and starving! LOL! Good luck!

Thanks letsdothis!

I am trying to only eat 1/2 cup at a time, and feel full very quickly. I am still very gassy and wonder if alot of my discomfort is gas, not full?? I guess you are right, I will listen to my body and stop when I have that feeling and only eat when I'm hungry.

I hope you are feeling well...you were banded the day before me...I am on the mend, hoping to go back to work tommorrow, but still tire very easily and have alot of discomfort at the port site.

Take care, Cathy