Security in Tijuana?

Hi,

My surgery date is set for June 23. But I keep reading about security warnings from the State department about Tijuana. Did those of you who have already been feel safe the whole time you were there? Were you able to site see or did it not feel safe? It will just be me and another female and we are getting a little nervous reading all of the warnings. Can anyone please give us more info.

Thanks

Hi,

I felt safe during my two visits to Tijuana. I traveled with my husband and a group of bandsters. We didn't go out alone and usually were back at the hotel before dark.

I was a little worried before I got to Tijuana, but really felt safe both times I was there.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Don't drink the water =)

Hi,

My surgery date is set for June 23. But I keep reading about security warnings from the State department about Tijuana. Did those of you who have already been feel safe the whole time you were there? Were you able to site see or did it not feel safe? It will just be me and another female and we are getting a little nervous reading all of the warnings. Can anyone please give us more info.

Thanks

Yes, you do need to be smart, don't go out at night, stay in groups - don’t bring your jewelry or large sums of cash. Be smart, the guys at the Lucerna will help you understand where you should go and how to get there to be safe.

I went by myself - but I met some others having surgery and we all went shopping together. I love Tijuana, my family works in Mexico so I don't worry - but I am cautious - just as I would be in certain areas of LA any other big cities that have crime. (But I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the culture, the people and the history or the opportunity to change my life).

Tijuana has amazing history; you can check out the museum and go shopping on Revolution Avenue. The restaurant by the pool at the Lucerna is amazing, they have incredible seafood so really there’s no need to go anywhere else to eat. And they also have soup that’s really good after your surgery.

Congrats on making the decision to have your surgery!

Best,

Lisa

Oooooh Great topic to start! I'm leaving for TJ on Wednesday and will be traveling with my husband and a few friends. I'm not so worried because my husband will be with me but are there any other security measure that you are all aware of other than being in before dark? And did any of you stay out after dark and feel anything but safe?

I have been there 3 times, and I felt safe every time. Go with a group and don't stay out after dark. And bring lots of money for spending on Revolucion ave.

Like they said, don't go anywhere after dark OR alone. I was leery and always looking around but nothing bad happened. I was a little startled by the Police down there. They ride around in full gear on the back of pick up trucks :ph34r: , rifles and all. The one shop owner said "they're OK, they're the good guys, they're here to protect you!!" With all the people on Revolution Ave., there was no "feeling" that you were unsafe. Relax and enjoy Mexico!! :yes:

I have been there 3 times, and I felt safe every time. Go with a group and don't stay out after dark. And bring lots of money for spending on Revolucion ave.

Do you need cash to shop on Revolucion ave? Or does credit work? What sort of stuff is for sale there?

Also - how much did you all tip the driver and other folks at the hotel? I never know how much is appropriate.

I'm happy to hear you all felt pretty safe - thanks!

Do you need cash to shop on Revolucion ave? Or does credit work? What sort of stuff is for sale there?

Also - how much did you all tip the driver and other folks at the hotel? I never know how much is appropriate.

I'm happy to hear you all felt pretty safe - thanks!

I used cash to shop, I was afraid to use credit :unsure: I tipped the hotel staff a buck or 2 and gave the driver 5. I didn't tip the cabbies...???? I kept cash in my pockets, I separated it and carried a very small purse with a little cash also.

There's all sorts of stuff on Rev. Ave. "Designer" purses, every kind of jewelry imaginable, touristy stuff, clothes,.. you name it. There are pharmacy's every couple feet! Make sure you bargain, never give them what they ask for!! Have fun!! :yes:

I used cash to shop, I was afraid to use credit :unsure: I tipped the hotel staff a buck or 2 and gave the driver 5. I didn't tip the cabbies...???? I kept cash in my pockets, I separated it and carried a very small purse with a little cash also.

There's all sorts of stuff on Rev. Ave. "Designer" purses, every kind of jewelry imaginable, touristy stuff, clothes,.. you name it. There are pharmacy's every couple feet! Make sure you bargain, never give them what they ask for!! Have fun!! :yes:

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice!

Sounds like fun!