Oprah

I've been thinking about this although I didn't see the original show. If I understand correctly it didn't go favourably to lap banding. I can't see how she could have supported it given her economic and media support of Bob Green. She was instrumental in his media creation and continues to be. He's anti lapband and she's all about promoting healthful eating, exercise, etc., although she admits her personal failings. Politically there's no way she could have come out on the side of lap banding given that. I've pvr'd her shows although I admit I'm not a fan and I think her time is done in her original context for the most part. I just delete them every night. I'm only really interested in the Cassie episode.

I agree Jann,

Although I am waiting for the Cassie episode to come on again, as I have not seen it yet. I am not a real Oprah fan.

I actually had a dream last and it was prompting me to go on the internet and search for problems associated with the band, I woke up and thought to myself, I am not going to do that! I don't want to know anything negative, it will stress me out.

I will take things as they come and deal with it!

Cathy

I agree Jann,

Although I am waiting for the Cassie episode to come on again, as I have not seen it yet. I am not a real Oprah fan.

I actually had a dream last and it was prompting me to go on the internet and search for problems associated with the band, I woke up and thought to myself, I am not going to do that! I don't want to know anything negative, it will stress me out.

I will take things as they come and deal with it!

Cathy

My dad always says "Why borrow trouble?" -- for me it's like those WebMD sites, etc. My friend is addicted to them and the more she educates herself the sicker she becomes. Now she's got all the phantom symptoms for almost every major disease going. I look at it this way, if my body tells me the band isn't well I'll TCB immediately. I know what the major issues potentially are and what to look for. That's enough for me. Sometimes igorance is bliss.

I've been thinking about this although I didn't see the original show. If I understand correctly it didn't go favourably to lap banding. I can't see how she could have supported it given her economic and media support of Bob Green. She was instrumental in his media creation and continues to be. He's anti lapband and she's all about promoting healthful eating, exercise, etc., although she admits her personal failings. Politically there's no way she could have come out on the side of lap banding given that. I've pvr'd her shows although I admit I'm not a fan and I think her time is done in her original context for the most part. I just delete them every night. I'm only really interested in the Cassie episode.

The show wasn't that negative, It was Dr. Oz and another doctor that showed they didn't know crap about the band. They had did a small amount of research on the subject. They're biggest gaff was saying that everyone that was over weight had some sort of mental problem. The show is going to be re-aired sometime this summer,, We'll let you know the date when Jenn and Cassie are notified by Oprah's people. Make sure you watch and you can judge it for yourself. I can say one thing,, the show must not have been to negative,, cause the OCC has been overwhelmed with people wanting the lapband surgery. Also,, The Lapband forum membership jumped increasingly after the Oprah show and is still experiancing heavy web traffic. I personally think that lapband patients have done their homework and could tell the differance between Dr. Oz's BS and the real facts of Lap banding. The demand on the OCC and the forum prove that Dr. Oz didn't know what he was talking about. You got to remember,, Dr. Oz is a TV personality,, We have the real deal with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez.

The others are right, Oprah had no clue about the lap band and for someone who I assumed gets all the info about a show she is going to do before it airs (and when she reccords the voice over segments) she really had no clue and kept asking kind of dumb questions that had already been addressed/answered.

You're right Jann she is usually all about the healthy eating and diet but she has been known to do some "fad" diets now and then, when I was looking up Optifast before surgery I read that she did the program in the 80's and lost a ton of weight... I think she also just started a 21 day liquid/detox diet or something so obviously she's open to alternative weight loss solutions, she just take Dr. Ortiz's offer to get a lap band free (not like she couldn't afford it, lol) and stop with all the yo-yo diet plans that haven't worked for her in the past.

I am thankful for the show it is what convinced me to make the appt with Dr. Ortiz and I couldn't be happier with my results so far!

Im with Michelle- if it werent for the show, I would still be trying to figure out how the hell Im going to pay for the band! I think oprahs big concern (as she has done before) is addiction transfer, which is a valid concern. I love Oprah, but i do agree, on this particular show she was a little under-informed

The others are right, Oprah had no clue about the lap band and for someone who I assumed gets all the info about a show she is going to do before it airs (and when she reccords the voice over segments) she really had no clue and kept asking kind of dumb questions that had already been addressed/answered.

You're right Jann she is usually all about the healthy eating and diet but she has been known to do some "fad" diets now and then, when I was looking up Optifast before surgery I read that she did the program in the 80's and lost a ton of weight... I think she also just started a 21 day liquid/detox diet or something so obviously she's open to alternative weight loss solutions, she just take Dr. Ortiz's offer to get a lap band free (not like she couldn't afford it, lol) and stop with all the yo-yo diet plans that haven't worked for her in the past.

I am thankful for the show it is what convinced me to make the appt with Dr. Ortiz and I couldn't be happier with my results so far!

Oh yeah, I remember she wheeled a wagon of fat out on stage!

she just take Dr. Ortiz's offer to get a lap band free (not like she couldn't afford it, lol) and stop with all the yo-yo diet plans that haven't worked for her in the past.

It was marketing genius that Dr. O placed himself on Oprah even if they weren't well informed. The cult of Oprah is a big one and and it doesn't surprise me that website traffic and inquiries are up which will inevitably lead to more surgeries as a natural byproduct. Imagine if he bagged the "Big O", he'd be a billionaire instead of a simple probably at this point multi-millionaire! hehe I'd have offered it to her for free too! The waiting list would be months if not a year down the line not to mention all that FREE press. He'd have to open many more clinics to accommodate that growth.

Very smart and strategic move, Dr. O!

Guest cedartown

Let her continue to yo yo with her weight.Oprah doesn't appear to be a happy person to me.It all looks fake.

Meanwhile we will all be slim & at the beach!