First experience with a negative WLS person!

I am in awe of those of you who tell coworkers, strangers, etc. about your band. My husband is the only one who knows (and I've been banded for a while) and I don't feel like I want to tell others. Today I had to meet with a medical lady regarding a life insurance policy and of course, they have to know every detail of your life. This woman was AT LEAST 60 lbs overweight. She lectured me for like 2 minutes about how diet and exercise are the real way to do it and some people just think that there is a magic cure that will take it off and that people don't like exercise. I was stunned! I just said I love the band and I love to exercise too... I was totally speechless. My husband said I should have asked her if diet and exercise works for her.... Anyway kudos to those of you who battle with people with attitudes like this!

Karen

I am in awe of those of you who tell coworkers, strangers, etc. about your band. My husband is the only one who knows (and I've been banded for a while) and I don't feel like I want to tell others. Today I had to meet with a medical lady regarding a life insurance policy and of course, they have to know every detail of your life. This woman was AT LEAST 60 lbs overweight. She lectured me for like 2 minutes about how diet and exercise are the real way to do it and some people just think that there is a magic cure that will take it off and that people don't like exercise. I was stunned! I just said I love the band and I love to exercise too... I was totally speechless. My husband said I should have asked her if diet and exercise works for her.... Anyway kudos to those of you who battle with people with attitudes like this!

Karen

I'm like you, I chose not to tell everyone about my banding because of people like her!! I would have had trouble holding my tongue! I'm not a confrontational person either, but I would have blown up with her :ireful3:

Please don't let it get you down Karen, there are people all over who'll give you grief about the band [because they don't know what they're talking about!] I agree with Allcdngirl..... that would have been awesome!! :girl_dance: Chin up girl and be proud of your band!!! ><' Darlene

You shoulda asked for her address & when she asked why.

Tell her you were gonna mail her all of your unneeded fat clothes. :ph34r:

I love it!

:girl_blum::sarcastic::yahoo::lol2:

I haven't told enough people to hear this kind of thing personally, but I've read some pretty offensive posts online (not this site of course). I'll have to keep this comeback in my back pocket in case I ever need it. :punish:

:D

You shoulda asked for her address & when she asked why.

Tell her you were gonna mail her all of your unneeded fat clothes. :ph34r:

This is funny, but I would pack up my fat clothes and drop them off at her office, along with a note stating the above suggestions.

Karen, I am like you I don't want people to know either... #1 because people don't know how long I have struggled with my weight..... #2 I don't really want to hear what they have to say about it really.... My mind is made up I am doing it regardless, so really why tell people.. We don't really go around telling people we are on a diet so really why should we tell them how we are losing our weight right... :P

Paula, on the note could be THIS suggestion:

"If you dont want to wear my clothes, may I suggest a place to stick them??"

Karen

Hi Karen, I had to do a medical for life insurance last week too and the nurse gave me a lecture about 'lifestyle changes' and my eyes just welled up with tears immediately. I should have said 'listen lady, I am all about lifestyle changes, I have made many of them but you don't know that because you don't know me'. Instead I just mumbled something about the band being a change and just tried to compose myself. I haven't told anybody either and after hearing her reaction it just reaffirmed that keeping it to myself is the best idea. It really helps having the support of all of our fellow bandsters on this site. ><'

Hi Karen, I had to do a medical for life insurance last week too and the nurse gave me a lecture about 'lifestyle changes' and my eyes just welled up with tears immediately. I should have said 'listen lady, I am all about lifestyle changes, I have made many of them but you don't know that because you don't know me'. Instead I just mumbled something about the band being a change and just tried to compose myself. I haven't told anybody either and after hearing her reaction it just reaffirmed that keeping it to myself is the best idea. It really helps having the support of all of our fellow bandsters on this site. ><'

AMEN!! I think that people who don't know, understand or care about being over weight should voice their opinion! Do they live in OUR shoes? Do they live OUR lives? That kind of stuff really sticks in my craw [?] I'd always get upset when I'd tell Doc's that I needed some kind of help losing weight [back then, I didn't know about the Lap band] and they'd just say "eat less and move more!" Gee thanks Doc, I'd never thought of that!! :crazy:

I told once I had made up my mind and there was no going back. I've been thinking about doing the band ever since it was approved here in the States, but I wasn't ready until now.

After that, there was no changing my mind and I wouldn't allow people to try and talk me out of it. I heard "Why don't you just do it on your own? You were so successful on WW and Atkins, why don't you just do that again?"

UHHHHHHH, I was so successful that I've put all the weight back on! Duh!

One time a coworker I'm close to who is thin and muscular and very athletic was ragging about doing it on my own and she just wouldn't stop. When she finally took a breath I said "Spoken like someone who has never had a weight problem in their life." She got it. She apologized about trying to tell me what I should do when she has no idea how it is to be fat all your life. Now she's one of my biggest supporters.

Okay, so here's my comeback for that insensitive woman... "I love having the band and I made the decision so that I wouldn't have to look like you the rest of my life. What's the next question..."

Jena

I am sorry KarenLynn that you had to endure the negativity of people who don't know any better!

There are going to be people who will not be supportive and those who will jump through hoops for you!

I have told only the people who are my biggest supporters and chose not to tell those who I might feel would not be. I haven't even told my own sister.

As you can see we are one big supportive family here on the forum and they all have great senses of humour. I laughed so hard!!

You keep strong and you know you always have our support right here!

Cathy ><'

I have been gone a few days and missed this, I would have explained to that ignorant lady how my diabetes is in remission, my High Blood Pressure is gone and my Acid Reflux is history and I can now exercise because I don't hurt in all of my joints from the excess weight!!! Therefore I think that the band has prolonged my life and my health....Thank You Band!!!

Karen

Boo to the unhappy overwight lecturer! Boo!