Banded May 2 - Not losing weight

I am soooooooo discouraged right now. I have been in a major holding pattern for 1 month now. I was 246 when I went on my pre-surgery protein shake diet. I was 242 when I had my surgery. I went down to 228 the 2 weeks after my surgery. When I began eating solids and realized that I had NO restriction, I put on all of my pre-surgery weight. Then I had a fill on June 16 or 18th (?) and was wayyyyy too tight. Couldn't hold down anything for a month. DID NOT LOSE 1 LB. IN THIS PERIOD. Why you ask??? Well because ice cream shakes and smoothies stayed down fine. So, I went in for an UNFILL approx. 1 month ago and I have went back up to 235 and haven't budged.

How the heck are you all losing weight???? I eat like a bird......several times a day. I am soooooo at my wits end right now. HELP.

Jen

Hey Jen,

Stick with it and try to remember this is a lifelong process and you are still very new living with the band. You recently had an unfill so you are probably not properly restricted yet = you need to wait 3 or so weeks but you could possibly have another fill now. Also, I also think I eat like a bird but everytime I use fitday.com and log every single thing I eat and drink iinto fitday it can easily be 1500+ calories - it is amazing how they add up. I suggest you try to eat 3 meals a day and eyeball them to make sure they are about 300-350 calories. Then if you have to eat something in between make sure it is a piece of fruit or vege like sliced cucumbers or tomoatoes - cuz if you are really hungry those would work - if you are craving ice cream or chips or cookies you are feeding something more than hunger.

Also, if you keep a food diary and weigh yourself once a week, after two weeks send it to Dr. Miranda and she will comment on it.

Lastly, are you exercising??? You have to exercise at least 30 minutes every single day - that could be walking around the neighborhood or even doing exercises at home during commercials. If you watch 2 hours of tv a night, you can get in 30 minutes of exercise just during the commercials. I used to try to do situps during commercials and believe me you can get a lot in.

I know it is frustrating but you can't give up. You have to have a plan. Before the lapband I always wondered why it was I was fat - I didn't think I ate that much at all - now with the band I see all my bad habits head on and I'm not saying they are the ssame as yours - its just you have to look honestly at the effort you are making - if you are doing all of the above and not losing - call dr. Miranda for a consult - she will help you figure this out. Good luck and hang in there. Mary

Jen

Hi Jen,

Hang in there girl. One question I have is where did you have your fill done? And are you starting to feel restriction now? I am scheduled to have my first fill done on August 30th in TJ. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how your progress is doing. Take care!!

Deb

Make sure you are drinking lots of water throughout the day as well. I notice a big difference with my weight loss when i'm really getting in at least 64 oz of water day. Just don't drink it while you are eating (or too close to bedtime hahahaha)

Remember... Dr. Miranda is available via email or by phone if you need help with your post-op diet!

Well because ice cream shakes and smoothies stayed down fine.

I eat like a bird......several times a day. I am soooooo at my wits end right now. HELP.

Jen

I had my first lap band put on about 2 yeas ago. I lost 65 lbs in 4 months and I did it because the band worked. I only small meals and "NO Calorie liquids". I followed the instructions in the pre-op class that I took. If you not chewing your food very very good in the beginning... its not going to stay down because it can't pass. I also learned to eat slower and no distractions when I was eating (not watching TV or doing something else that could make me swallow something with out chewing very good.. and very small bites.

I learned its much better to.... concentrate on your food you can enjoy a very small meal (savor every bite/taste) vs eating a large meal while watching TV and stimulating your mind vs your taste budds.

However, when my band develeped a leak and did not work... I was like you and could eat all I wanted with out feeling full. I gained all the weight back but it took a year and a half.

I did not give up and just had a new band replacement (I had the whole surgery redone) and have lost a lot of weight in the since the last surgery.

Since I was used to having the band on my stomach, the doctor told me I could go back to solids with a few days of the replacement band. I have done the following:

I have cut out all carbs

Drink lots of water (not with meals)

Take vitiman supplements (flinstones chewable)

Started Walking more

cut out all caffine drinks

no drinks with calories

My goal is to loose the 65 lbs as fast as i did it before... I know it wont be easy but when I lost it before I remember the following advantages:

It was easy to put on my socks and tie my shoes

I did not sweat on my neck (even if it was not hot)

I could easily get into and out of my car

I started tucking in my shirt and was not shy to wear tighter fit clothes

It was so much easier to breath and I had more engery.

And most of all... I started to fit in.

Daniel

Congrats on all your successess - thanks for all the good suggestions as to what has and is working for you.

I had my first lap band put on about 2 yeas ago. I lost 65 lbs in 4 months and I did it because the band worked. I only small meals and "NO Calorie liquids". I followed the instructions in the pre-op class that I took. If you not chewing your food very very good in the beginning... its not going to stay down because it can't pass. I also learned to eat slower and no distractions when I was eating (not watching TV or doing something else that could make me swallow something with out chewing very good.. and very small bites.

I learned its much better to.... concentrate on your food you can enjoy a very small meal (savor every bite/taste) vs eating a large meal while watching TV and stimulating your mind vs your taste budds.

However, when my band develeped a leak and did not work... I was like you and could eat all I wanted with out feeling full. I gained all the weight back but it took a year and a half.

I did not give up and just had a new band replacement (I had the whole surgery redone) and have lost a lot of weight in the since the last surgery.

Since I was used to having the band on my stomach, the doctor told me I could go back to solids with a few days of the replacement band. I have done the following:

I have cut out all carbs

Drink lots of water (not with meals)

Take vitiman supplements (flinstones chewable)

Started Walking more

cut out all caffine drinks

no drinks with calories

My goal is to loose the 65 lbs as fast as i did it before... I know it wont be easy but when I lost it before I remember the following advantages:

It was easy to put on my socks and tie my shoes

I did not sweat on my neck (even if it was not hot)

I could easily get into and out of my car

I started tucking in my shirt and was not shy to wear tighter fit clothes

It was so much easier to breath and I had more engery.

And most of all... I started to fit in.