When does the port site stop hurting?

Hi there - sorry you're dealing with that darn port site pain! Yes, in my experience, something like sleeping on the site or bending for too long a period of time, etc. can cause that pain. Be sure to be very conscious of your movements - excessive use of the ab muscles early on or direct pressure can definitely cause it to hurt. I'm just over a month out and I'd say it's been about 2 weeks since I felt mine at all, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Hope you feel 100% soon!

Mine took several weeks to feel normal again. I couldn't sleep on my stomach or side for over a month. It will get better!

I remember when mine was so sore I was freaking out about getting a fill and having a needle stuck in that painful spot! Mine was completely healed by my first fill.

Hi Cathy,

I feel like I have a lot of port pain too. I am going to ask my fill doctor about it when I see her in July. I have learned to sleep on the other side and if I do sleep on the port side, I use a long body pillow and a king size feather pillow to cushion and support that side.

The other thing I noticed is that my stomach looks misshapen where i suspect the port is and where the band is. Maybe I am still just swollen, after all it is just 30 days post op. I guess all things take time.

Kim

I was convinced I had pulled mine or damaged it some how. It took about 3 weeks for the burning feeling to stop.

even now (6 weeks) if I turn the wrong way it still hurts, now if my left shoulder would just feel better!! :wacko:

Linda

I'm right there with you on the neck and shoulder pain and the port site pain. I really only notice the port pain while bending to the left or sleeping on my left side. I too, use the pillow to help prop up the port site. I started walking 30 min on the treadmill, and that does make the shoulder pain subside for awhile, but it does return, for me at night.

I just keep telling myself this won't last forever, and it will be worth it in about a month when the pain is gone and I'm feeling like myself again. All in all, it' hasn't been too bad.

Hang in there, and things will begin to look up.

Denise

Thanks for asking this question. I have alot of discomfort on my left side still and was getting a bit worried. I had my surgery on May 16. Some days are worse than others and it could have to do with bending and sleeping, I hadn't really thought of that.

Cheryl

I don't remember at what point, but I finally forgot about my port... It quit hurting and I forgot that it was there (physically.) I was sucking in my stomach the other day and reached up to see what that bulge was, duhhhhhhhhh...

I am not happy with how far it sticks out.. it really bothers me... I don't know what I will decide to do about that; probably nothing, since I am sure it will involve money.

Ooops.. chased a rabbit for a moment there... I think yours is too new yet not to be uncomfortable with bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, or anything of that type that you are not normally used to doing.