Wanted: info from someone near age 47 and losing

Ok you can see my stats below. I seem to be stuck, what can be the problem?

So if you're losing, please share what it is your doing since you've been banded.

I have been riding my bike about 1 hour a day, 4-5 days a week. It's not a pretty picture :o but I do it anyway.

I really would like to be losing a few pounds a week, sometimes I don't have any restriction.....

ARGHHHHHHHHHH,

reneej

I was banded May 8 and I had lost 25 pounds before surgery and I've lost 15 since. It's a struggle now more than ever because I could use a fill, but I'm not scheduled until Aug. 6. I wanted to go back to the OCC for my first two fills just to make sure everything is okay.

I stay the same for a week, lose 4 or 5 pounds, gain 2 or 3 back, lose 5, gain a few back, lose 5...you get the idea. I quit weighing every day to relieve some on the stress.

My techniques for losing weight without being frustrated is to not weigh every day, stick to low fat, eat lot's of fiber and make sure I "go" every day, switch to whole grain bread items, and eat Lean Cuisines on a regular basis.

I'm 50, so a little older than you!

Jena

I am 45 and was banded on June 10th, so I am still on my post op diet plan...I lost 17 lbs before sx and 11 since...but I am starting to stall.

I am not able to exercise yet, but hope to start walking more in the next week or so...the port site is still painful and is preventing me from moving quickly these days.

Have you measured your body? Sometimes when you are exercising and eating right, your fat turns to muscle and the numbers on the scale increase while the numbers on the measuring tape decrease.

I think you are doing great, eat right, eat under 1200 calories, continue to exercise and it will come off!!!

Good luck!

Cathy

Thanks for your reply, your picture looks as if you are 30, you look great. I agree with everything you said. It's really hard to stay away from the scales. Maybe more fiber, sometimes I end up eating a granola for lunch, so maybe I'm not eating enough, lean cuisine sounds good. I just really want to feel that, "I am stopping here" feeling.

thanks,

Reneej

In my 30's??? I just love you!!! You are the sweetest thing since chocolate cheesecake!!!

I know, I am starting to lose my restriction and able to eat more....I don't like it, but my fill is 3 weeks away, so I am glad they are on top it...I am so fortunate that my clinic is only 1 hr away and all of my post op and fills are included for 5 years, in the fee I paid to have the surgery. If I need a fill, I can call and get one. They told me they were going to start small and gradually increase.

How many fills have you had?

Cathy

I am sure you are frustrated...I would be. I am 46 and banded on 6/4. I've lost 13 pounds since surgery. I t sound like you body is just adjusting to it's new size slowly. With your exercise and food plan You are doing more than the scales reflect as Cathy said. I've found though that sometimes if you do the same activity for exercise your body gets used to that and then it doesn't work as efficiently to burn calories. Change up what you do if you can at least 1-2 times per week. Also I just read a post today on a 900% better workout that spurts of cardio and about only 10 minutes at a time to start. I'll look to see who posted it in case you didn't read that and i'll edit this to give you the posting name.

Hope that helps even though I havn't lost alot of weight yet.

Edit: it's prevention article on fat burning posted by 2mara

I'm close to your age and one thing that sticks out to me is you say you don't have any restriction. Restriction is the key, you don't want to be too tight, nor do you want to be too loose. It’s a hard middle ground to reach. How much are you eating and what is your caloric intake? I know many don't want to talk about calories, but the truth is they are the key. If we take in too much we gain, just enough we stabilize and if we cut them down we loose.

I'd look at that and see if you need an adjustment to your fill. Its hard not to loose if you are taking in 1/3 of what you use to eat and exercising on top of it.

Best,

Lisa

I am on day 11 post-op and I have lost 16 lbs since my surgery. I am 47 years old. Some days I gain some days I loose. So now I am going to weigh only once a week. I have started taking my measurements and keeping up with them. Even if the scale does not show any progress, the tape measure does. I, also take a supplement called Milk thistle. It is for the liver. In any weight loss endeavor, your liver must be functioning properly. Milk thistle seems to help a sluggish liver. I really believe that it help me loose the 32 lbs that I lost pre-op.

I feel your pain. I am 51 and find the trip down the scale is slower than some of the younger ladies but it will go down. Be careful not to cut too much back it seems to cause your loss to stop. I know that is totally contrary to what we understand but I couldn't seem to lose no matter what I did once I went on solids but now it is coming off. One other suggestion you have probably heard a million times before is measure! I find that my inches are dropping then my weight seems to catch up. Just remember the human body is something like 75% water and that can be deceiving.

Cheryl

I'm only 24, so I won't be much help here.

I defer to the experts here, sweetie. I feel a lot of restriction right now, and i'm almost on all liquids just to get in food. If this happens much longer, I'll have a little withdrawn from my band.

I love you too Renee

:)

Renee,

I just wanted to send a hug your way.......Love ya woman!!!

And I'm younger than Will T, so I won't be much help either ;)

I have what I feel is good restriction now. Restriction feels different to me than what I thought it would. It almost feels like a brick is in the middle of my chest and that's my signal to stop eating. I don't feel anything in my "stomach." I thought I would feel an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach - like one would feel when they ate two plates at Thanksgiving dinner and had to unbutton their bluejeans. I don't feel like that at all.

I didn't have good restriction with the first fill as you know, but went to Roswell for my second fill last Sunday and have been doing good so far.

I'm only 24, so I won't be much help here.

I defer to the experts here, sweetie. I feel a lot of restriction right now, and i'm almost on all liquids just to get in food. If this happens much longer, I'll have a little withdrawn from my band.

><' Thanks to all, I knew I would get good info. and lots of support. I think I may not be eating enough throughout the day. It just seems that this is just as tough now as preband times. I am still interested in everyone's thoughts.

Keep those cards and letters coming.

As for Will T and Dawnie, I want to order the same mirror you guys are looking into. You're both hottie's to me.

love ya,

Reneej

I'm almost 40-does that count!

I've lost a total of ONE whopping pound for the ENTIRE month of June!!! I lost 15 pounds pre-op (most of it in one week), 10 pounds post-op (all in one week), and 10 pounds after my first fill. I FINALLY just lost my one more pounds one month post first fill this morning.

I too have been riding my bike. I ride to work which is 15 miles round trip (last half home is uphill). I rode a 25 mile, 18 mile and 12 mile hilly ride all last week. And I finally have one pound to show for it. Who knows what is up. I track my info on sparkpeople.com and it helps, but still gives me no reason for why no weight loss.

When you come up with the magic answer - let me know :)

wow calicat,

you are much more of a rider than me. I just ride for about an hour 4-5 times a week and not up too many hills. I am soooooooooo out of shape. I usually end up walking up the few hills I have. I know that too will improve.

I am still looking for the magic answer here.

I am going on vacation for like 12 days to the beach, can't wait, but the bike will stay at home. I will do my best to walk in the mornings when it's cooler.

thanks everyone! B)

I am 54, and weight loss is slower than it was when I was younger. Between my first day of solids and my first fill, I didn't lose a single pound. I was soooooo upset. I talked to Dr. Miranda when I went back for my second fill, asking her what I was doing wrong. She and I went through my daily typical diet, and she said I don't have to eat a "salad plate" breakfast, just a "leetal half of a banana, or a "leetal" bit of dried cereal, which was a relief, because I hate having to eat breakfast.

She also asked me if I was noticing any non-scale related body changes and if I had measured myself before I started. No, I hadn't, and she told to do it immediately. She asked if I had noticed my clothes getting bigger, and the answer was yes. I have some now that I feel like a slob wearing. Finally, the most important thing I noticed was a landmark for me. I DIDN'T HAVE TO USE THE SEATBELT EXTENDER ON THE AIRPLANE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS! Not only that, but I had a couple of inches of seatbelt left over when I fastened it.

Soooo... check these other things... weight loss isn't always shown on the scale.

Dear Renee,

I am 49, does that count? I am stuck right now on a serious plateau for about a month now. It does happen (this is my second). I am planning on going for my 3rd fill on July 16th. Hopefully that will boost me over the hump. I spent the last few weeks on an emotional rollercoaster. When I stress, my band slams shut and I PB a lot so now that I am over my major new stressors, I am ready to get my fill and get back on the wagon. Even though I was PB ing a lot from the stress, I wasn't losing, I couldn't get to the gym to workout, and when I could eat I was making poor choices (guilty) and eating more than I should have been. Luckily I didn't gain anything, but I don't have any loss to brag about either! Things are finally getting back to near normal in my household, so I think I will be okay now, I even started going to the gym again. Now that I am working out I have an appetite again....therefore, I think I need another fill. Just keep on sticking with it and plugging along. My Dr. is so happy with how I am doing now and my attitude about losing. He cautions me not to try and lose too fast. He also had to start me on B12 vitamins as that was getting low. Otherwise he says I am on the way to perfect health. There are so many benefits of the banding. Losing weight is great, but getting my health back is even better!

Donna