Medical Alert Tags

Has anyone gotten their Medic Alert Tags? I currently wear one for other medical conditions and am going to have it updated after my surgery (12 days and counting) for the Lap Band. I am curious as to what other people are putting on theirs. From what research I have done the basic is: AGB Patient - No NG Tube w/out Endoscope. Can anyone offer any other suggestions or what their Dr. reccomended.

Thanks. Lanie

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten their Medic Alert Tags? I currently wear one for other medical conditions and am going to have it updated after my surgery (12 days and counting) for the Lap Band. I am curious as to what other people are putting on theirs. From what research I have done the basic is: AGB Patient - No NG Tube w/out Endoscope. Can anyone offer any other suggestions or what their Dr. reccomended.

Thanks. Lanie

[/quote

Hi Lanie, As an RN I think you have an excellent idea. The more facts available the better, in case your ever in a medical emergency and unable to speak for yourself. I use to work as as ER nurse, and often found patient's who had no phone numbers of family or loved ones, thus we had no one to notify. I always recommend to people to carry in your wallet phone numbers of people to contact, your current medications, drug allergies, and any other pertinent information health care providers should know. I can't tell you how important this is. I think a Medic Alert Tag is a great idea. What other information is important to let health care providers know related to the banding? I would like to know this also. I never even thought about an NG tube. I'm getting banded on October 3rd. Thanks, Geoffrey (bbuck)

I use to wear a medical alert bracelet for my diabetes, but now that it is under control I have no need for one. As Lori said, we get wallet cards that have a full description of our bands done to the serial number of your own band. But if you decide to get a bracelet, there is a company that offers some really attractive ones at www.laurenshope.com. Chelley

I use to wear a medical alert bracelet for my diabetes, but now that it is under control I have no need for one. As Lori said, we get wallet cards that have a full description of our bands done to the serial number of your own band. But if you decide to get a bracelet, there is a company that offers some really attractive ones at www.laurenshope.com. Chelley

I DID WANT TO SAY THAT ABOUT A MONTH OR SO BEFORE I WAS BANDED, I EMAILED INAMED AND THEY WERE KIND ENOUGH TO MAIL ME, FREE OF CHARGE, A LIVESTRONG TYPE BRACELET. IT'S DARK GREEN IN COLOR AND SAYS " I'M WITH THE BAND" LAP-BAND SYSTEM AND THE INAMED LOGO ON IT. :)

• 3 years later...

You are given a card to carry in your wallet when you are at OCC for surgery. I carry mine next to my drivers license. It identifies me as a band patient, the date I was banded and the size of my band.

I too, just carry this card.

Being medically ignorant, if the NG tube is just what they put in your throat during surgery, it isn't a big deal. That is one of the questions I asked before my first post-lap band surgery and they said it would not go down far enough to cause any harm to the band. Whew!