Suggestions of what to take to TJ for surgery

julieburns

I thought it would be nice to start a new thread for soon to be bandsters. In the short time I've been her I see alot of posts asking what to take, is Mexico safe, how about traveling alone etc. There may already be a list like this but to have just one place to look would be nice. So hope on board here fellow bandsters and let's come up with an all inclusive list of what people want to know before surgery. Remember these should just be non-medical type info just the practical stuff.

So here goes

1. Take 1 or 2 types of gas relief OTC meds because you can't get them in TJ. Suggestions include gas-x strips, phazyme, beano- and/or tums. I think the 1st 2 are the best.

2. Take bouillon cubes, powder for convenience and to save a few bucks if you care about this. Also take the protein water packets. Having them for the trip home is nice because you can't get them on any plane I've flown on.

3. Pack LIGHTLY!!! Yes I am screaming this but I too was guilty of overpacking. I only took a rolling backpack but it was so stuffed I though the zipper would break any minute. Take half of what fits in a backpack and you'll be happy. Also leave room for any little shopping finds you just have to have.

4. Have any liquids in 3 oz. or smaller containers and in a 1 quart ziplock bag if you are not checking your luggage, you should not need to check luggage as you should not take so much stuff. I suppose though if you are extending the days of stay for a mini vacation then it's ok to check or if you just find it easier. Have this bag easy to take out to go through security. Also wear slip off shoes for the security check if you can.

5. I traveled alone and had no problems or any sort of scary times. You will meet other people as soon as at the airport that are also getting banded or having a fill and you'll have an instant group of people to hang with. Just don't go out at night alone, be in before dark if you do.

6. Sports bras are much nicer to the freshly banded body. 1 tiny incision sometimes is close to your bra line and it can be irritating. Take/wear loose comfortable clothing. I saw alot of people in mumu type dresses for comfort. Loose sweat type pants or shorts and a Tshirt works too.

7. You'll do lots of walking both at the clinic after surgery and outside. Bring/wear comfortable shoes. You really don't need slippers at the clinic but something you can just slip on and don't have to bend over to tie and untie. They have you cover your shoes with little blue booties to keep the area clean.

8. They have a great cable TV with lots of channels and nice music in your room at the clinic. The hotel Lucerna's channels are more limited. Bring a small book or crosswords puzzles or whatever helps you pass time easily if you need it. I found the time to go by quickly and only watched TV so don't waste the space in your suitcase if you really don't need to. Also at the OCC they have a computer for patients to use, just ask. At the Hotel Lucerna they have several computers with internet in the lobby also to use if you want to keep in touch that way. Check on your cell phone plan to see if you have international call capability. Some do, some don't but if you need to use your cell phone for kids or family most plans will add an international plan and you can cancel it later if you choose.

9. If you can alll avoid it do not go out and have a huge, spicy meal the night before. Eating light the day before surgery helps there be less in your stomach and intestines thus causing fewer complications. I know people who've had a last meal if you will and done just fine but if you can, stay strong and go lightly with the food the day before.

10. No nail polish the day of surgery. Toe polish is fine. The same goes for a ton of makeup. The say actually NO makeup. So use your best judgement.

11. Pre-stock your fridge at home with some of the following: clear juices you like...apple cranberry, grape. You'll drink alot of this so get enough. Some people mix half water and half juice to cut the sugar calories or for those diabetics. Popsicles, jello, (can/should be sugar free), broths of all type, Special K protein H2O, drinkable yogurt for day 4-7. For weeks 2 and 3 you can have creamy soups. I'd suggest splurging and try some fresh made ones the stores have these days. Otherwise Campbells soup on hand has great cream of chicken, tomato. Cup of soup is also very quick and easy for those who have lunches or dinners away from home. All you need is hot water. Skinny cow fudgesicles are great for chocolate lovers. I also loved the Haagen Daz raspberry vanilla sorbet frozen bars for 100 calories.

Recently there has been some controversy if jello is ok. Some people have no problems with it and others don't tolerate it. Use your best judgement as it is technically a clear liquid and gives you something to sort of "chew".

12. This is more for after you get home but buy some BENEFIBER. It dissolves completely in practically anything liquid as well as foods. It will really help you get in your fiber during liquids phase which is essential for so many reasons we all know. DO THIS!! Yes there are other types of fiber available some in tablet form you can chew up but I like this one the best.

13. Something I have found recently that I wished I would have had for the liquid phase (first 7 days also)) are what are called "Protein bullets". There are numerous websites that sell them. Also GNC stores or website I think has them. Google liquid protein or the ones I like the best are on bariatriceating.com. I got some others called "Profect" I think and they were basically the same thing. They are a 3.1 oz premixed liquid drink in a tube like container that has 42 grams of protein in the 3.1 oz. These ones are called New-Whey liquid protein. No sugar or fat. I have tried all flavors and like the fruit punch the best. Now it is sort of a thick almost like gelatin before it get's really thick and does have sort of a weird taste. I put it on ice or make sure it is ice cold. It's such a little amount I drink 1/2 of it at a time for 21 grams of protein. It's like 2 meals worth and gives you the protein you so desperatly need in that first 3 weeks so that you don't lose muscle instead of fat. they are about $$30.00 for 12 plus shipping. Again not the greatest to drink but tolerable especially for the health benefits they give you with the whey protein. Check them out.

Guest sdejong

Thank you soooo much I leave on Sunday for my surgery... I only have 4 days left...... OMG!!!! :wacko: This really helps... I am actually thinking about only taking what I can fit in my backpack... Does that sound crazy... Can I fit 4 days worth of clothes in that little bag... AHHHHHHHH.......

Shy

Yes you can fit the 4 days in a backpack, I did and I ALWAYS overpack. My backpack was so stuffed and I could have taken out a few more things. Hope your backpack is rolling though you may not want to be carring it as an actual backpack. If that's the case be sure not to make it too heavy for after surgery if you have to carry it. I'm excited for you.

Try and relax and glad you're not so shy anymore shy!!

I brought our big suitcase but I traveled with my husband and pretty much made him roll it around the whole time. We checked it also which made it easier to get through security and I didn't have to lift anything into the over head bins. The big suitcase held both our clothes though so if you are traveling without a spouse I would opt for the smaller carry on suitcase. I'm not sure how everyone feels about carry on but for me I prefer to not lug anything around the airport, less for me to worry about.

Several times people have mentioned the walk across the bordor. This is nothing major. The van stopped we had to walk into the room show our birth certificate, driver license, and run our luggage through a scanner. My husband bought some beautiful knives while we were there and we were dissappointed to find out you cannot bring knives back over the border to the states so they confiscated them...Bummer!

You are also going to want to bring cash, lots of 5's and 1's for tipping and shopping. If you do go shopping you will want to bargain and negotiate, never pay what they are asking.

I found myself getting nauseous the first 5 days after surgery. You may want to make sure you have some liquid nausea medicine on hand such as mylanta or pepto bismol.

I'm sure there is more but I can't think of it right now.

Heres another thread to read. The person who posted it is my_friend_amber and it's titled my story, warning it's long. Originally posted on 5/27 it details her banding day by day and is a very nice testimony to what actually happens.

Have fun reading!!

Heres another thread to read. The person who posted it is my_friend_amber and it's titled my story, warning it's long. Originally posted on 5/27 it details her banding day by day and is a very nice testimony to what actually happens.

Have fun reading!!

Julie,

Thanks for the information. I am new and just learning to use this sight. I will be banded on Thursday and I am the one asking all these questions. I never could find Amber's "my story" again to see if she answered my question and I can't find it. Do I need a robe or Pjs for the post surgery parade?

Angie

Julie,

Do I need a robe or Pjs for the post surgery parade?

Angie

You will have a hospital gown they provide and you can put on another over the back of it to keep from flashing anyone.

Whatever you are comfy with post-op is fine. I personally am always hot so no robe was necessary. The gowns are actually quite large and completely cover everything. Mine even touched the ground because I am so short. Good luck Angie

hi --

Is it best to just take US currency for the Tijuana trip, or should I worry about having pesos with me if I want to shop?

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

hi --

Is it best to just take US currency for the Tijuana trip, or should I worry about having pesos with me if I want to shop?

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

I took USD's. If you go to a bank machine it will give you pesos.

The people in Mexico LOVE American money! And if you go shopping remember to NEVER pay what they are asking and most of the time if you set a price and they will not meet it, walk away and the majority of the time they will follow you and meet your price.

also be sure to check with your cell phone company on international plans if you intend on using your cell phone while in Mexico. You can call free from the OCC the night of surgery but it will cost you everywhere else.

• 1 month later...
Guest CaraMBA09

Julie - I love, love, love this list. I have read it twice and will probably have it seared into my memory by the time I leave September 14th

C

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm guilty of the "last meal"

Daniel brought me some salsa, "This is extremely hot"....and I finished the whole thing and said, "I thought you said that was hot?" haha...but the burritos are excellent (well what they call burritos on the menu....think chimichanga without being deep fried"

Hotel cable was limited but I did learn something. When you're watching American films with spanish subs, they don't translate the swear words....and there's some Mexican game show I got a kick out of but couldn't quite figure out the object, called, "12 Corazones" (12 Hearts)...some dating gameshow based on Astrology.

But yeah, puzzles, gameboy, anything to keep you occupied is a good suggestion. Also, there's a convenience store on the corner across from the Hotel that has a pretty decent selection of goodies to save you some money on drinks. They take dollars, (in fact most places in TJ take american money)

(13. Something I have found recently that I wished I would have had for the liquid phase (first 7 days also)) are what are called "Protein bullets". There are numerous websites that sell them. Also GNC stores or website I think has them. Google liquid protein or the ones I like the best are on bariatriceating.com. I got some others called "Profect" I think and they were basically the same thing. They are a 3.1 oz premixed liquid drink in a tube like container that has 42 grams of protein in the 3.1 oz. These ones are called New-Whey liquid protein. No sugar or fat. I have tried all flavors and like the fruit punch the best. Now it is sort of a thick almost like gelatin before it get's really thick and does have sort of a weird taste. I put it on ice or make sure it is ice cold. It's such a little amount I drink 1/2 of it at a time for 21 grams of protein. It's like 2 meals worth and gives you the protein you so desperatly need in that first 3 weeks so that you don't lose muscle instead of fat. they are about $$30.00 for 12 plus shipping. Again not the greatest to drink but tolerable especially for the health benefits they give you with the whey protein. Check them out.)

You should not drink protein bullets straight. That much protein in no liquid is stressful to your kidneys. The 3 oz should be diluted in a water bottle with water. It will look and taste like "vitamin water." You should sip this throughout the day. 1-2 bullets a day for the first week is almost imperative. The reason most people feel tired and crummy after the surgery is dehydration and not enough protein. You need lots of protein to heal after any surgery. Also, if you bring your preop paperwork or print out from the OCC you can get these through the security checks. I took 4 with me to mexico. The security guys were curious (3.1 oz), and one guy opened one and tested it with litmus paper but after I showed them the paperwork they let me through. On the way home, I took an empty water bottle and a bullet through security and then filled up the water bottle, poured the bullet into it and took it on the plane. It really helped me feel better faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I have been asking a gillion questions on a different topic sight, and I am probably driving everyone crazy. Did everyone spend a night in the hospital? How many nights in the motel room? If someone goes with me (which my husband can't) do they go to the hospital with me for the pre-op and surgery? Are they then stuck there or how do they get back to the motel room? I have been thinking of seeing if two of my grandchildren would want to go with me. Would it be safe? The oldest is 15 and the other 14, they are very cautious good kids. I am so not sure. I am thinking that it would probably be better for me to fly down by myself. Is there any problem in that?

I am going to look into those protein bullets. I will definitely have to order online. I do not live close to any shopping areas. Even the closest Wal-mart is 75 miles away. Anne

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I have been asking a gillion questions on a different topic sight, and I am probably driving everyone crazy. Did everyone spend a night in the hospital? How many nights in the motel room? If someone goes with me (which my husband can't) do they go to the hospital with me for the pre-op and surgery? Are they then stuck there or how do they get back to the motel room? I have been thinking of seeing if two of my grandchildren would want to go with me. Would it be safe? The oldest is 15 and the other 14, they are very cautious good kids. I am so not sure. I am thinking that it would probably be better for me to fly down by myself. Is there any problem in that?

I am going to look into those protein bullets. I will definitely have to order online. I do not live close to any shopping areas. Even the closest Wal-mart is 75 miles away. Anne

Hi Anne,

Yes, this post had helped me too! Julie did an excellent job in putting this list together.

You're paid for the surgery, room and care. You have 3 nights, 4 days total at the hotel. NO KIDS underage can come unattended ~ they can't stay overnight with you at the clinic. You will stay overnight at the clinic for observation, but your adult companion will be driven to the hotel until you come back to the hotel to stay until you leave.

If you fly, you would be picked up from the airport from one of OCC's driver and will deliver you to the clinic for your preop (be prepare in case they have room/time to do your surgery a day earlier - like I did). Stay the night, and then you will be driven to the hotel to rest and relax or even shop around, if you choose. While you are staying at the clinic overnight, your companion will be at the hotel.

Hope this helps you...

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this list, I am getitng banded on January 2nd and printed this thing right away. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jenn

Just remember to pack LIGHT! Like I said, I didn't use everything I brought and it was extra stuff to drag around. Stick with only one change of clothing really. I wore to OCC the same clothes I left with. Then surgery day I stayed overnight in their clinic and that left just one day at the hotel to do whatever and this is when I used my other change of clothes. VERY simple. And just your immediate toiletries is all I needed, nothing fancy. The room had soaps and shampoos and conditioner, and water bottles, each day. Make sure you empty your purse and only take what you really need and take lots of ones and five dollar bills. I brought Crystal Light "to go" drink packs and benefiber and don't forget those wonderful Gas X strips! You will definetly live on those to help with any gas bubbles you may have. All this fit in my MINI suitcase on rollers AND I still had room.

In addition, take a small pad and pen, in case you meet up with someone and you can jot their info. Take pics if you like. The clinic has a computer area where you can go on this forum to say "hello" as well at the hotel too...just ask.

Good Luck Jenn and congrats!!

• 4 weeks later...
Just remember to pack LIGHT! Like I said, I didn't use everything I brought and it was extra stuff to drag around. Stick with only one change of clothing really. I wore to OCC the same clothes I left with. Then surgery day I stayed overnight in their clinic and that left just one day at the hotel to do whatever and this is when I used my other change of clothes. VERY simple. And just your immediate toiletries is all I needed, nothing fancy. The room had soaps and shampoos and conditioner, and water bottles, each day. Make sure you empty your purse and only take what you really need and take lots of ones and five dollar bills. I brought Crystal Light "to go" drink packs and benefiber and don't forget those wonderful Gas X strips! You will definetly live on those to help with any gas bubbles you may have. All this fit in my MINI suitcase on rollers AND I still had room.

In addition, take a small pad and pen, in case you meet up with someone and you can jot their info. Take pics if you like. The clinic has a computer area where you can go on this forum to say "hello" as well at the hotel too...just ask.

Good Luck Jenn and congrats!!

Thanks for all the info you provide on this site. You have really helped me so much. I am going to be banded on Jan 2nd too. Very excited. Can you please tell me what the minimum amount of time is needed to stay in Tijuana? Is it possible to leave by 9AM the day after surgery? I am having some issues with flights and wondering if it is possible to be on an airplane by 12noon the day after surgery.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info you provide on this site. You have really helped me so much. I am going to be banded on Jan 2nd too. Very excited. Can you please tell me what the minimum amount of time is needed to stay in Tijuana? Is it possible to leave by 9AM the day after surgery? I am having some issues with flights and wondering if it is possible to be on an airplane by 12noon the day after surgery.

Thanks

That's pushing it,, usually you don't get out of the OCC till mid to late morning and the van takes you back to the Lucerna. Getting checked out of the OCC and taking you back to the airport to catch a flight by noon would be tough. Plus you just had surgery the day before,, you need that day after to rest up from the surgery. You'd have to contact your coordinator or the OCC about that.

That's pushing it,, usually you don't get out of the OCC till mid to late morning and the van takes you back to the Lucerna. Getting checked out of the OCC and taking you back to the airport to catch a flight by noon would be tough. Plus you just had surgery the day before,, you need that day after to rest up from the surgery. You'd have to contact your coordinator or the OCC about that.

Thanks Mr Dolittle. I am now leaving on Sunday. I don't want to rush things. I just hope I don't have any flight problems getting to San Diego. Going home is not as important as getting there. Thanks again.