Started Mushy Foods Today

I graduated to mushy/blended foods today.

I finally went to a restaurant after 6 weeks and ordered spagetti. I ate about 1/2 cup or less and was full. Brought the rest home for the kids.

For dinner I had fish and a scoop of mashed potatoes, again could barely get that down. I feel restriction very quickly.

I know, some of you are ready to smash me over the head with the closest frypan you can grab...sorry about that!

My question is...when did your restriction stop after surgery? I am almost 3 weeks post op. When you started on solid foods after the 21 day liquid diet, did you have restriction? How long did it last?

The nurse at the clinic told me to stop eating as soon as I feel the twinge in my stomach...shortly after I feel a lump in my throat which takes hours to go away. She said it is caused by food slowing making it's way into the larger stomach area.

I guess I need to retrain my brain and learn to get used to the new way of eating, or not waste money eating out when I can hardly make a dent in it.

Thanks Cathy

Yeah Cathy!!!

I am just about at the same place you are except Dr. O let's us eat any foods at 3 weeks. Yesterday night was my first day home to actually cook something. I prepared the beautiful salmon recipe momonamission posted, broccoli and green salad. The salad was caling to me before the salmon was done so I took 2-3 bites. I am not kidding you I could eat 1-2 bites of salmon and was definately full, really shouldn't have had the bites of salmon because I sort of got an uncomfortable full feeling. I learned to eat my protein first like they suggest and then veggies etc. I just felt so free to actually eat some salad that I couldn't resist. I stayed full well into the night from just this. I actually ope this restriction of sorts last as long as it can but it sounds like it does go away before first fill time. I went really easy today so as not to puch it.

Did you ever think you'd be thrilled to eat some cottage cheese (or whatever mushy thing that no one else would really be too thrilled to eat?

Congrats Cathy and Julie on your great restriction!

I obviously can't answer your question since I'm newly banded, but I'm happy to see you're doing great - think of the money you'll save with leftovers that provide a bunch of meals!

:)

Congrats Cathy and Julie on your great restriction!

I obviously can't answer your question since I'm newly banded, but I'm happy to see you're doing great - think of the money you'll save with leftovers that provide a bunch of meals!

:)

You are so right about that...if the kids don't eat up the spaghetti...it will last me all weekend!!

I see you are driven too!! Zoom Zoom!!!

Cathy

Yep.. you are so right. Today I was tempted to pull into one of my favorite restaurants, and right about the time I got there, I thought, "Why do I want to do this... I will be able to MAYBE eat one cup of food." That really is a good deterrent for me.

Yep.. you are so right. Today I was tempted to pull into one of my favorite restaurants, and right about the time I got there, I thought, "Why do I want to do this... I will be able to MAYBE eat one cup of food." That really is a good deterrent for me.

Paula, after surgery before your first fill...when did you lose restriction?

Cathy

I don't think it's so much restriction as you're just still swollen from the surgery. I guess it can cause a restrictive feeling. My swelling went away completely by my first fill, which I had at 5 weeks.

I don't think it's so much restriction as you're just still swollen from the surgery. I guess it can cause a restrictive feeling. My swelling went away completely by my first fill, which I had at 5 weeks.

Thanks Alana,

So if it's not restriction and just swelling...does restriction feel the same...when you eat and feel that twinge in your stomach of being full?

Cathy

its hard to explain - I'm sure everything has a different feeling. for me, it just feels like I have had enough food. usually it would take A LOT of food (2 1/2 plates at my favorite chinese buffet) for me to feel full, now I feel it after a cup of soup or half a sandwich. you'll just know when you've had enough. :)

its hard to explain - I'm sure everything has a different feeling. for me, it just feels like I have had enough food. usually it would take A LOT of food (2 1/2 plates at my favorite chinese buffet) for me to feel full, now I feel it after a cup of soup or half a sandwich. you'll just know when you've had enough. :)

I feel fullness now with very little food...to compare the feeling...it like sitting down to a huge turkey dinner and eating way too much....is that similar to the sensation you feel after 1/2 sandwich?

Cathy

The surgery and band alone gave me major restriction for the first 8 weeks or so. My restriction was almost gone when I got my first fill and now I have none.

The surgery and band alone gave me major restriction for the first 8 weeks or so. My restriction was almost gone when I got my first fill and now I have none.

That must be even more difficult to control portions. You are doing so great, you must have a method of satisfying yourself with healthy choices.

Do you have another fill booked?

I have my first on July 16th...if I still have restriction...would I get it anyway or not?

Thanks Cathy

Cathy~

It is hard, but I just eat what I would think I would if I had restriction! LOL I am sure my stomach itself has shrunk in the past 3 months. I eat a slim fast shake for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, and a small supper. I don't drink any liquid calories and get my water in.

My next fill is hopefully gonna be July 10th if I can get in, but I am scheduled for August 3rd so we shall see!

If you are still getting really full with a few bites when it is time for your fill, you may want to wait. If you are still that restricted and get a fill you may not even be able to swallow. Just wait and see how your restriction is closer to your fill date.

By the way that is great that you have good restriction from the band itself. Not everybody gets that. I had it for 8 weeks and that's why I dropped so much so fast ...so you can look forward to that too! :D