Exercise? What's That?

Actually, I did something today that makes me very proud of myself. After the repeated urging of my therapist, my family practice dr., and my pain doctor, I have joined the YMCA and have started water aerobics. I hope it isn't like everything else I have done.. My therapist says I need to get out of my house and meet people, my other two doctors said I need the exercise and the pain doc says it will strengthen my knee.

I am happy with myself for now..

That's awesome P, I wish we had a facility near us. The closest is about 45 min. away and about $25.00 a trip :angry:

Keep us all posted, sounds like a need for a new bathing suit to me!

keep it up

reneej

Yeah for you Paula =D> ...you go girl!!!!

As another person who suffers from fibromyalgia I want to warn you to be VERY careful not to overdo it. I think water is the best choice for people like us but also be sooo careful. Start out with at your own pace and just do your own thing, I don't recommend any classes unless they are for (and please don't be offended but I would have to do the same) ;) senior citizens. The regular classes might just push you a little too hard. Maybe not the instructor per say but just wanting to keep up for our own self esteem you may push yourself to hard. Just do like 10 minutes to start or whatever small increment you want to do but go SLOW. I used to have a pool and I love the water and had many little things I would do in the pool on my own that were great exercise for me. PM me if you want some tips on what you can do on your own.

So pretty Paula take it easy but I am so glad you are going. Just suit up and show up and from there you're already half way done. Put your best smile on and say hello to other folks and soon you'll have some new acquaintences so you'll feel more at ease. The more you go the better you'll feel

Actually, I did something today that makes me very proud of myself. After the repeated urging of my therapist, my family practice dr., and my pain doctor, I have joined the YMCA and have started water aerobics. I hope it isn't like everything else I have done.. My therapist says I need to get out of my house and meet people, my other two doctors said I need the exercise and the pain doc says it will strengthen my knee.

I am happy with myself for now..

Hey Paula,

I see you are from Orange Park. I live on the Intracoastal, in Jacksonville. Are you going to the Brooks Y? I go there too. I go every morning from 6:00 - 7:00 (I know I am nuts :wacko: , but it gets it out of the way for the day, plus I work full time). I joined in January, when I started my 6 month pre-approval diet (having my surgery at Mayo Clinic). Let me know how you like the water aerobics classes at the Y. I have thought about taking one, but have focused on elliptical, treadmill, weight training and lap swimming. I heard the water aerobics class was really good though. Glad to hear you are doing it and making the committment to exercise. It has made a world of difference for me. My weight loss was only 6 pounds from November through January, but then I started really going to the Y every day and now I am up to 34 pounds gone forever.

My surgery is Tuesday and I am excited! :rolleyes:

Hey Paula,

I see you are from Orange Park. I live on the Intracoastal, in Jacksonville. Are you going to the Brooks Y? I go there too. I go every morning from 6:00 - 7:00 (I know I am nuts :wacko: , but it gets it out of the way for the day, plus I work full time). I joined in January, when I started my 6 month pre-approval diet (having my surgery at Mayo Clinic). Let me know how you like the water aerobics classes at the Y. I have thought about taking one, but have focused on elliptical, treadmill, weight training and lap swimming. I heard the water aerobics class was really good though. Glad to hear you are doing it and making the committment to exercise. It has made a world of difference for me. My weight loss was only 6 pounds from November through January, but then I started really going to the Y every day and now I am up to 34 pounds gone forever.

Best of luck on Tuesday and be sure to let us know how you are doing?

Cathy ><'

My Mom has horrilbe health. Heart disease and lung cancer and diabeties and the list goes on. But she loves going to the y for her water arobics and the other classes that she does. She was never one to mingle but she is a social butterfly now. I think you will be surprised just like my Mom. I bet you will make great friends and enjoy the classes eventually. Good luck . Dawn

I know this has been answered but how soon are we allowed to do water aerobics?

To my best interpretation of what the exercise "rules"were after the 3rd week you and do anything except abdominal work. For a water aerobics class you'd just have to not do anything that feels like you are using you abs. Any other thoughts on this anyone?

To my best interpretation of what the exercise "rules"were after the 3rd week you and do anything except abdominal work. For a water aerobics class you'd just have to not do anything that feels like you are using you abs. Any other thoughts on this anyone?

That makes sense with what I just read too, Julie. Thanks so much. I wonder if I took the instructor aside and let her know that I can't do ab work whether she'd give me a head's up and I could just tread water or pretend to be a mermaid or something. Hmm, worthy of a chat methinks!

Thanks for being so helpful!

=D> =D> =D> =D> Congrats on this! It is great that you are making such a great stride to better your life. This is great. I am very proud of you!! XO Lisa~ =D> =D> =D>

WOT SHE SAID, I couldn't have said it any better! :lb13:

What a wonderful new way for you to feel better about yourself! Way to go Paula!! :D Now if I can just start exercising more...

Yeah for you Paula =D> ...you go girl!!!!

As another person who suffers from fibromyalgia I want to warn you to be VERY careful not to overdo it. I think water is the best choice for people like us but also be sooo careful. Start out with at your own pace and just do your own thing, I don't recommend any classes unless they are for (and please don't be offended but I would have to do the same) ;) senior citizens. The regular classes might just push you a little too hard. Maybe not the instructor per say but just wanting to keep up for our own self esteem you may push yourself to hard. Just do like 10 minutes to start or whatever small increment you want to do but go SLOW. I used to have a pool and I love the water and had many little things I would do in the pool on my own that were great exercise for me. PM me if you want some tips on what you can do on your own.

So pretty Paula take it easy but I am so glad you are going. Just suit up and show up and from there you're already half way done. Put your best smile on and say hello to other folks and soon you'll have some new acquaintences so you'll feel more at ease. The more you go the better you'll feel

Julie.. thank you for reminding me.. I sort of did what you said already.. have hung toward the back with the "upper middle aged" people, noodles under our arms and just swishing and kicking our feet.. I stayed moving the whole time, and the only thing that bothered me afterwards was a kind of stiff area in my neck, along one side.. don't know how in the world I did that!

I did have to buy a new suit, and they were 16 bucks, so I bought 2. Catalina's, even, at Wallyworld. I had one, but it had been SIX years since I had put it on, and the elastic was a little..mm... non functional.

You are right about one more thing... suiting up and showing up is the hardest part for me. This time, I will break through that urge to just stay home all the time.

I can do this...

Hey Paula,

Congratulations on your pre-surgery weight loss and I know you cannot wait (weight?) til Thursday.

I go to the new YMCA on Fleming Island in Orange Park. I am afraid I wouldn't go if it was any farther off. I have trouble with the things you do because of my knees.. and my fibro.

We will have to get together sometime. Send me a message if you ever want to talk, and I will send you my phone number.

BTW, if you are my friend Dianne, who lives on the intercoastal, I will faint. Also, I can hardly stand the thought of giving up Barbara Jean's she crab soup forever.

That makes sense with what I just read too, Julie. Thanks so much. I wonder if I took the instructor aside and let her know that I can't do ab work whether she'd give me a head's up and I could just tread water or pretend to be a mermaid or something. Hmm, worthy of a chat methinks!

Thanks for being so helpful!

While I never (formerly) would have encouraged ignoring a teacher, specially since I formerly was one, I think Julie is right and just take it easy to start with and don't do anything with your abs. The teacher isn't going to fly out of the pool and beat you about the head and shoulders with a wet noodle just because she sees you taking it a bit easy. :)

While I never (formerly) would have encouraged ignoring a teacher, specially since I formerly was one, I think Julie is right and just take it easy to start with and don't do anything with your abs. The teacher isn't going to fly out of the pool and beat you about the head and shoulders with a wet noodle just because she sees you taking it a bit easy. :)

Oh Paula, that's too funny! Thanks for the image this morning. hehehehe

I am so proud of myself. I started working out at work on ly lunch break. we have a great exercise facility with all the neat stuff...treadmills, bikes, eliptical, rowers, free weights and best of all it's FREE.

So my goal is 30 minutes every day I am at work and that's what I've done so far.

Congratulations on your pre-surgery weight loss and I know you cannot wait (weight?) til Thursday.

I go to the new YMCA on Fleming Island in Orange Park. I am afraid I wouldn't go if it was any farther off. I have trouble with the things you do because of my knees.. and my fibro.

We will have to get together sometime. Send me a message if you ever want to talk, and I will send you my phone number.

BTW, if you are my friend Dianne, who lives on the intercoastal, I will faint. Also, I can hardly stand the thought of giving up Barbara Jean's she crab soup forever.

Thanks! I am excited for Tuesday to be here. I have been a wreck all weekend though worrying. I guess that is normal.

I love the Brook's Y - it has made a world of difference for me.

My name is not Dianne, so you are good to go! :) Although that would be odd and a little creepy wouldn't it - EEK?

Mmmm Barbara Jeans. I haven't been there in a while, but the she crab soup is pretty awesome. So is the chicken fried steak (gone forever from my plate that is for sure)! I am not even going to start thinking about the chocolate stuff. Yikes.

Take care!

I am so proud of myself. I started working out at work on ly lunch break. we have a great exercise facility with all the neat stuff...treadmills, bikes, eliptical, rowers, free weights and best of all it's FREE.

So my goal is 30 minutes every day I am at work and that's what I've done so far.

YAY FOR YOU!!!! Nicely done, Julie!! :lb25: :lb21: