Lapband Blueprint

Lap Band Blueprint

Everyone has high hopes of reaching of their sweet spot. I hear this all the time “I just want to be tight”. Lap Band Patients feel like if the band is tight it will stop them from overeating. With this mindset all the responsibility is placed on the band; and it will only lead to frustration. The band is tricky; there is definitely a learning curve.

1. The band was designed to eat a normal meal. A normal meal means you eat a smaller meal without side effects. If you are properly adjusted you can eat without experiencing Productive Burping or much sliming.
  2. Learn to chew your food to liquid form. Chewing your food to liquid form will reduce the amount of productive burps; this will also help reduce the sliming effect as well.
  3. Avoid Soft Food Syndrome. If you are eating softer foods because it is easier, you have no way of knowing if you are properly adjusted. Eating softer foods allows you to eat more and can halt your weight loss altogether.
  4. Eat your protein first. Eating protein first ensures you are getting enough protein to keep your energy levels up.
  5. Don’t be so dependent on the band. Some patients are expecting the band to be their “Food Police”. Taking responsibility for what you are eating and how you are eating will take away the disappointed feeling.
  6. The band is tighter in the morning. There is no scientific reason why the band is tighter in the morning. Just because the band is tight in the morning is no excuse to skip a meal. Mix up a protein shake to start your day.
  7. Being too tight serves no good purpose. If the band is too tight and you are experiencing PB after PB this will not aid in the weight loss efforts. Also having a band that is too tight could result in a slip; which could result in another surgery.
  8. The band is not properly adjusted. You are wide open and can eat anything you want, this is a sign you are not properly adjusted. Make an appointment with your surgeon to have another fill.
  9. Tweaking your band. It could be as simple as .01 CC to get you to your sweet spot. Don’t think you have to have a full 1.0 CC to be properly adjusted
  10. Don’t compare yourself to others. Just because someone has reached their sweet spot with 2.50 CC’s doesn’t mean you are going to reach your sweet spot with the same amount of fill. There are too many different size bands on the market and the person you are comparing your fill to might not even have the same band as you do.
  11. Don’t deprive yourself. Eat what you like in moderation. The more processed the food the easier it is to eat with the band; it also means more calories. Read your labels if a serving size is 15 chips then only eat 15 chips not the whole bag.

Keep in touch with your surgeon so he/she knows what is going on. If you are not following up with your surgeon they can’t get you to your sweet spot. Don’t feel bad if you have not lost any weight since your last visit; your surgeon will not yell at you. Especially if you keep a food diary and exercise diary; this will aid your surgeon to help you stay on track.

If you are newly post-op take advantage of this time to really learn how to chew your food; trust me you will “Thank” yourself down the road. If you are properly adjusted; you will have to chew your food to liquid form; otherwise you will be experiencing productive burping and sliming. This leads to frustration and could possibly lead you to soft food syndrome which will halt your weight loss efforts.

You have worked so hard to have the surgery and expected to have amazing results. It is possible if you work with your band as opposed to working against it. Don’t think of this as being another diet; think of this as being a “Lifestyle”. If you watch skinny fit people eat you will see they still allow themselves treats; you should be no different.

Remember you had surgery on your stomach not your brain. It will be hard at times and you might make poor choices. Getting back on the band-wagon is easy to do. Go back to the band basics and you will see the results you want and deserve.

Cher Ewing, CC

Yeah that was a great post!! Its funny, I find that even after only being banded a short time, its soooo easy to forget the basics. The basics are those simple things that keep the weight loss going, but its so easy to get caught up in our old habits and forget the basic rules of eating and losing with the band. Now that I am eating solids, I find that I am often drinking water right before or after my meals and I have to tell myself 'STOP!!!! NO LIQUIDS WITH SOLIDS' and I have to constantly be aware of myself and how my body feels. The band takes time to get used to that is for sure, and this is by far not the easy way out - for anyone out there who has ever told us that we are slackers for having WLS... I would love to challenge them to make this lifestyle change and then tell us that its the 'easy way out.'

Thanks for the post Jann, we all need reminders of how our band works. I do have one question, for anyone.... If we chew our food to liquid [which I still am not doing <_< ] why is it so important to eat solids? I understand the vitamin part of it, making sure we get enough protien and all, but what is the difference of drinking a protien drink and chewing meat to liquid before swallowing? Wouldn't it pass through just as quickly? I'm not asking because I'm promoting "drinking meals", trust me, I'd much rather eat, but I wonder what the difference is???

Thanks for the post Jann, we all need reminders of how our band works. I do have one question, for anyone.... If we chew our food to liquid [which I still am not doing <_< ] why is it so important to eat solids? I understand the vitamin part of it, making sure we get enough protien and all, but what is the difference of drinking a protien drink and chewing meat to liquid before swallowing? Wouldn't it pass through just as quickly? I'm not asking because I'm promoting "drinking meals", trust me, I'd much rather eat, but I wonder what the difference is???

You know I was wondering that just last night. All I could come up with is the density of proteins versus the fluidity of liquids. I really have no idea. Anyone?

Great post, Jann! We should all print it out and hang it on the fridge door. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Very, very good article!! Very accurate information!

YAY! Excellent post Jann! I really needed to read that today.. I will definitely print it and post it on my fridge like Kim said..

And by the way you are doing great! 30 pounds down! You go girl!

Thanks all. I really liked that post as well! Thanks for the support in wl -- I can hardly believe it's 30 pounds already and I don't have my first fill until the end of the month. (Doctor's office called and switched the date today) -- I'm pretty sure I could eat like I used to but I don't test the theory. I just keep eating like a bandster and trying to follow all the rules. Twice I've drank water 15 mins after eating and slapped my own hand.