Any recent Bansters over gastic bypass..???

:huh: Hey I was just curious to hear from anyone has had the lap band over the gastric bypass. I don't see anything recent.. I am a gastric bypas (open) person going for the lap band on the 1st.. Very curious to hear from you... Thanks Lisa~ :ph34r:

Good for you Lisa! I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a respectful question.

I'm seeing more and more gastric bypass patients are gaining their weight back. I was watching Al Roker last night and he looks to be about 40-50 pounds up, Carnie Wilson gained almost all of it back, many forums are populated with bypass people in the same boat, etc.

If bypass is weight loss by malsorption how does that happen? I understand bypass patients can't do "sweets" because it goes right to the intestine and creates dumping and any protein, starch, veg, etc., just passes through the system which is why they have to take so many supplements.

I'm confused. I'm not bashing, I just don't understand it.

Good for you Lisa! I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a respectful question.

I'm seeing more and more gastric bypass patients are gaining their weight back. I was watching Al Roker last night and he looks to be about 40-50 pounds up, Carnie Wilson gained almost all of it back, many forums are populated with bypass people in the same boat, etc.

If bypass is weight loss by malsorption how does that happen? I understand bypass patients can't do "sweets" because it goes right to the intestine and creates dumping and any protein, starch, veg, etc., just passes through the system which is why they have to take so many supplements.

I'm confused. I'm not bashing, I just don't understand it.

Hey Jann,

You can ask me anything you want... I am totally open about this subject.. It is a frustrating situation to say the least. I think it is a great idea that wasn't completely thought out. In the begining I lost fine, I worked out daily and lost 100 lbs in the first 6 months and ended up losing a total of 180 all together. I was feeling pretty awesome. I was however, discouraged as they never tell you about the hanging skin, but I delt with it none the less. Well they do tell you, but the reality is a much different reality!!I didn't look that bad except my arms and my boobs but got those lifted. So a couple few years into it the restriction (there is that word!) was begining to become non-exsistant, so I could eat what ever I wanted. I found love again got married(you know what that brings with it--eat eat eat), so while I was gaining weight and stressing about it it gradually came back on, it was like I couldn't stop it. I was back in the same boat I was in before the surgery. I had them do testing and my pouch was fine and small I had not stretched it out,,, finally I found a Dr. who did another test on me and found that the stomas (openings to my stomach and from to the small colon) were no longer holding true to the surgery size, they expanded. So he expained to me it was like pouring water down a tube,, there was nothing stopping it. So it became worse as you can imagine,, I was HUNGRY all the time!! Also I am not abosrbing nutrients such as b vitamins and iron becoming anemic and tired. So I take suppliments for all that. Also I was rerouted inside but apprently from what the new Dr. told me the first surgeon didn't take as much out as he should of. SO then he (new Dr.) wanted to go in and take more colon.. I said forget it!! no way. Open abdominal surgery is aweful!!He said since I had open before I had to have it that way again.. NO FREEAKING WAY.. I would NEVER do it again!! NEVER!! SO another year or so of searching went by and I heard about the lapband researched it and that is how I got to OCC. I am convinced it has to do with behavior modification, as they do surgery on your stomach not your brain. I had no after care from the bariatric surgeon I went to originally and didn't have any support or after care to depend on. That is why I am convinced that the lap band is the way to go and wished I had it available from the start!! The restriction and the support is another key factor. I like that it is adjustable is removable etc.

As far as sweets go I never had issues with dumping syndrome. I could always eat sweets but I am not a sweet person so that wasn't an issue really for me. I like food!!

While I can't not speak for Al and Carnie I suspect that they are suffering from the same thing and lets keep in mind a junkie is always gonna find their fix. So for me I see counselors and see the lap band as a tool to succeed to reach my goal. I will continue to do so to stay sober so to speak... I need all of you at this web site and I really feel a sense of belonging. To many of my friends and famliy behind my back feel "I am a failure for doing the surgery", while I am disappointed,, "it is what it is" and I have to move forward. I am very positive about the lap band,, I feel that I should of waited with the original surgery to see the out come.. I didn't so here I am,,again "It is what it is.." I did what I did and thats how it is. Its OK,, I have to believe what I did was Ok. I didn't try the easy way out,, as some said,,, that road was not easy and this Tuesday isn't going to be easy either. I've just got to keep working at it and it will come. Some think I should bitch to the original surgeon, but that is silly,,, I would never do that as he did exactly what he said he would do and it didn't work. I accept that. So that is what I have to say about that.. So if you have anymore questions,, be sure to ask.. I would never reccomend the gastric bypass to anyone now that the lap band is out. Thanks for asking. I am glad you did and I hope I answered your questions. Thanks XO Lisa~~ I leave day after tomorrow!! YAY!

Lisa, thank you so much for your openness and honesty. I almost had gastric bypass 1 year ago just because my insurance would pay for it and not the lapband!! Hadn't found this forum at that time and when I had to quit my job, lost my insurance etc. I thought I'd be fat forever. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason whether we can figure it out or not they do. Best wishes for a new beginning and do keep us posted.

Hey Jann,

You can ask me anything you want... I am totally open about this subject.. It is a frustrating situation to say the least. I think it is a great idea that wasn't completely thought out.

Thanks for that response. I appreciate it! I can tell you are in the "right" headspace and it sounds like you are gonna do well. The band takes far longer to get to goal weight but I believe it's a healthier approach with the flexibility of adjustments. Stats show that we banders actually lose as much weight as gastric bypassers but banders tend to keep it off. I'm good with two pounds a week. I'm routing for you!!!!

Lisa, thank you so much for your openness and honesty. I almost had gastric bypass 1 year ago just because my insurance would pay for it and not the lapband!! Hadn't found this forum at that time and when I had to quit my job, lost my insurance etc. I thought I'd be fat forever. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason whether we can figure it out or not they do. Best wishes for a new beginning and do keep us posted.

Yo go Julie!!!!! HUGS!