Question about bruising???

I noticed lately that I bruise easily and they stay a LONG time!! I still have bruises around my port scar and the very top scar on my belly. [They're very light, but you can still see them] There's no pain, my port scar is still a little tender. I had my first fill at the end of May and Dr. Romero saw my belly and didn't say anything. I wasn't concerned then though, but I am now. I'm taking Biotin and started taking it in around Feb. Could this be causing my bruising? I know Vitamin K can cause you to bruise easily..... I don't know about Biotin though. Anyone else having bruising issues??

Yes I also bruise easily, and after a surgery I look like I have been beaten up.

After my surgery on June 10th, I had a huge bruise on my left arm from the Heparin needle, another huge blood bruise from the IV on the inside of my left arm and my tummy was yellow from bruising during surgery.

It's normal, it will go away. I still have traces of all three bruises three weeks later.

When I went for my post op visit one week after surgery, the surgeon who assisted mine, did my post op interview and could not get over how much bruising I had, I said to him" what did you do to me while I was sleeping, beat me up?!" LOL!!!

Taking Advil also promotes easy bruising, it's a blood thinner, so I was told not to take it a week before surgery. So I didn't.

Take care, Cathy

I was banded 3 months ago and am still bruised. That's why I was wondering if it may be the Biotin. I do bruise easy, but they used to go away pretty quickly. I did have a bruise where they gave me the shot, but it finally did go away. I take ibuprophen on occasion, maybe once a week if I get a headache.

I was banded 3 months ago and am still bruised. That's why I was wondering if it may be the Biotin. I do bruise easy, but they used to go away pretty quickly. I did have a bruise where they gave me the shot, but it finally did go away. I take ibuprophen on occasion, maybe once a week if I get a headache.

Would Biotin cause bruising or bruises to take longer to fade? I didn't know that???

I have been taking it daily since I started my pre-op diet May 27th, hmmm maybe that's why my bruises are taking longer to fade. Interesting.

Cathy

I was hoping some other bandsters who are also taking the Biotin could let us know if they're bruising more\longer?????

I'll ask my Doc next time I go if it could be the Biotin.... it's the only thing that I've been doing differently....

I have had the same issue and spoke to my fill doctor about that last weekend during my 3rd fill- he said it's not unusual when people are dieting to bruise a lot. He said that people with less fat bruise more which is why the elderly tend to bruise more. He also said that it's not unusual because your skin, after losing so much fat, needs to readjust and is somewhat in "shock" (for lack of a better term).

He said there also may be a vitamin deficiency but said I would usually feel it more (fatique, run down) first but he'd check also. He told me to make sure I was taking a multivitamin EVERY DAY (oops...I try but I'm REALLY bad at that!) and to take a vitamin called Bromeline, made from pineapple extract.

I have had the same issue and spoke to my fill doctor about that last weekend during my 3rd fill- he said it's not unusual when people are dieting to bruise a lot. He said that people with less fat bruise more which is why the elderly tend to bruise more. He also said that it's not unusual because your skin, after losing so much fat, needs to readjust and is somewhat in "shock" (for lack of a better term).

He said there also may be a vitamin deficiency but said I would usually feel it more (fatique, run down) first but he'd check also. He told me to make sure I was taking a multivitamin EVERY DAY (oops...I try but I'm REALLY bad at that!) and to take a vitamin called Bromeline, made from pineapple extract.

I wish I could say that I am one of those people with less fat...and that's why I bruise so easily...not yet...but soon!

I think my problem is too much advil. I have neck pain and headaches from working on a computer all day...so advil is my best friend.

I haven't taken since June 3, one week before my surgery. I use tylenol now. I haven't had as many headaches or sciatica, I hope it's the weightloss that's changing things!

Cathy

Thanks Michelle! Did he say what the Bromeline does for you?I still have lots of fat, so I don't think it's from having a little less... I still have my surgery bruises. I don't go back to my family Doc till Dec., so I'll have to talk to the Doc at the OCC at the end of the month and see what he says. Now, the vitamin deficiency could be..... not doing too well with the daily vitamin either. My daughter usually reminds me.

I guess I mispelled it it is actually "Bromelain" my girlfriend had lipo 2 years ago and her doctor told her to take it to prevent more severe bruising and to help speed healing

here's what Wikipedia says:

Source

Bromelain is present in all parts of the pineapple plant (Ananas comosus), but the stem is the most common commercial source, presumably because it is readily available after the fruit has been harvested. Pineapples have had a long tradition as a medicinal plant among the natives of South and Central America. However, just eating pineapple will not give you a great deal of extra bromelain, because it is mostly concentrated in the stem, which is not nearly as tasty (albeit still edible).

Medical uses

Bromelain can be used in a vast array of medical conditions. It was first introduced in this area in 1957, and works by blocking some proinflammatory metabolites that accelerate and worsen the inflammatory process. It is an anti-inflammatory agent, and so can be used for sports injury, trauma, arthritis, and other kinds of swelling. Its main uses are treatment of athletic injuries, digestive problems, phlebitis, sinusitis, and aiding healing after surgery.

It has also been proposed for the treatment of arthritis,[2] chronic venous insufficiency, easy bruising, gout, hemorrhoids, menstrual pain, autoimmune disorders, and ulcerative colitis.

Studies have shown that bromelain can also be useful in the reduction of platelet clumping and blood clots in the bloodstream, especially in the arteries.

It may have treatment potential for HIV.[3]

Proprietary bromelain mixtures are being used for third degree burn treatment, and more are being approved.

Bromelain supplementation up to 460 mg has been shown to have no effect on human heart rate or blood pressure; however, increasing doses up to 1840 mg have been shown to increase the heart rate proportionately[citation needed].