My first meal in 21 days

Well, today was my first day of solids. I have to tell you that I got up this morning expecting to finally have that egg and I wasn't hungry. I thought, 'Fine, I'll have a scrambled egg for lunch', wasn't hungry. Hubby promised me a lobster dinner and I still wasn't hungry! I did go, had about less than a 1/4 of a lobster tail, (about 15 fork fulls by the time I cut it up in bitsy pieces -- two fork fulls for regular people) 3 forks of mash potato and one shrimp. It was glorious but it felt so foreign after 21 days of liquids! I ordered a soda water and lime (my usual) and hubby was quick to point out I couldn't have that. Thank goodness, don't know where my head was at. I ordered a water and didn't drink it. Out of habit I went to have a sip while I was eating and hubby again patiently reminded me that was AGAINST THE BANDSTER RULES!

Aside from a pain in my shoulder which I'm sure is just muscle memory, I feel great! I explained PBing to Hubby so he wouldn't have a heart attack if it happened but it didn't. Thank goodness!

All is right with the world tonight :)

Congratulations!!

That sounds like a great first meal - funny that you weren't hungry all day!

I can't wait for mine. It's funny - like you, I've been fantasizing about an egg, but I want mine fried, with a piece of toast.

:girl_sigh:

Whoot Whooo!!!

You did it...good for you, dinner sounds amazing!!!

Is soda water carbonated? Say no!!!

I have 11 days to go until solids....I can't wait.

Cathy

I did do it, didn't I?! I made it the 21 days and I never cheated once! WOOT! In fact truth is today I didn't want to go to solids because I was afraid I'd devour the world like the old days. You know that whole 'it tastes good so eat it 'til it's totally gone and have seconds mentality'? But I really was impressed that I didn't have that thinking. In fact even the few bites I took felt like cheating. Funny how the mind works, eh? And I was concerned that my first meal was so public. What if I did something wrong and started PB'ing????

Sorry hun, soda water is carbonated and a big no, no. But I always order it with lime cordial when I go out to dinner. It's a deeply ingrained habit. Good thing hubby was there because for sure I would have started drinking it. I would have clued in pretty quick but I still would have had the big gulp before the brain kicked in!

Congratulations!!

That sounds like a great first meal - funny that you weren't hungry all day!

I can't wait for mine. It's funny - like you, I've been fantasizing about an egg, but I want mine fried, with a piece of toast.

:girl_sigh:

Yeah, it's weird because the past two days I thought I was starving! The day I'm allowed and nadda, no hunger the entire day. G'figger!

What is it about eggs?! :wacko:

I had a small piece of chicken and a little mashed potatoes for my "first meal" and was stuffed!! =D> Your meal sounds wonderful..... can't remember the last time I had lobster... :blink:

You just have to love this sated feeling, eh? And yup, the mashed potatoes were glorious!

My body just feels SO MUCH BETTER since I was banded. I have my pictures from just before banding and I'll get hubby to take my 'I SURVIVED 21 DAYS ON LIQUID" pics and post them. We should get t-shirts made! LOL!

I thought when the 3 weeks were over I would eat a whole cow, but strange as it may seem I eat a whole lot less. Food does not control me now. I am afraid of hurting my band. I need to eat more food than I am because I know enough about food to know that my body does not need to stay in starvation mode. But little steps. Congrats...take it slow. Dawn

I did do it, didn't I?! I made it the 21 days and I never cheated once! WOOT! In fact truth is today I didn't want to go to solids because I was afraid I'd devour the world like the old days. You know that whole 'it tastes good so eat it 'til it's totally gone and have seconds mentality'? But I really was impressed that I didn't have that thinking. In fact even the few bites I took felt like cheating. Funny how the mind works, eh? And I was concerned that my first meal was so public. What if I did something wrong and started PB'ing????

Sorry hun, soda water is carbonated and a big no, no. But I always order it with lime cordial when I go out to dinner. It's a deeply ingrained habit. Good thing hubby was there because for sure I would have started drinking it. I would have clued in pretty quick but I still would have had the big gulp before the brain kicked in!

Darn it!

I was hoping it wasn't carbonated and I had another choice. You did good, it is alot of brain re-training. I am fighting snacking and it's hard.

I have to find something else to do in the evening to avoid it. Even though my snack is healthy, I am trying to break the habit.

I am also afraid of solid food, I don't want to risk PBing either, that would freak everybody out, including myself. I told the girls at work that I have to carry a bag with me, just in case. We went to lunch on Friday and I ordered spaghetti and mushed it up, I ate some and then sat there, waiting for the full feeling, my friend thought I was going to PB. You should have seen her face, too funny!! They are the most supportive bunch of ladies ever! I am too lucky!!

Take care, Cathy

It really is amazing when I look back on what I used to eat compared to now, today my hubby and I were running errands and stopped in at Long John Silvers...

Before the band I would get the 2 chicken plank combo (with fries and hush puppies) and I would add an extra plank of chicken as well as end up eating whatever my son didn't finish.

Today I had 1/2 of one chicken plank and ended up pulling all the fried breading off so I just ate the meat!!

Congrats on your first day of solids Jann!!

Amazing day for you! Hope you took that lobster home for leftovers! Sounds delicious.

Congratulations on your progress.

I have another freaking WEEK of liquids and I'll admit I've made friends with the blender. Must have low fat cream of mushroom soup...with the mushrooms smoothed out into puree.

Lobster sounds divine. Good choice! I think I'll visit a sushi bar for my first day.

I have another freaking WEEK of liquids and I'll admit I've made friends with the blender. Must have low fat cream of mushroom soup...with the mushrooms smoothed out into puree.

Lobster sounds divine. Good choice! I think I'll visit a sushi bar for my first day.

Hahaha saying that you made friends with the blender reminds me of the final days for me in that dreaded 21 day period......my hubby had the nerve to get PIZZA and then EAT IT IN FRONT OF ME! Can you believe his insensitivity? Just kidding, but seriously, I jammed a slice in the blender and added lots of water and VOILA a pizza shake that went right up the straw! Was that ever good!

Hahaha saying that you made friends with the blender reminds me of the final days for me in that dreaded 21 day period......my hubby had the nerve to get PIZZA and then EAT IT IN FRONT OF ME! Can you believe his insensitivity? Just kidding, but seriously, I jammed a slice in the blender and added lots of water and VOILA a pizza shake that went right up the straw! Was that ever good!

OMG that is hysterical! I'm dying here. I think I blew a stitch! I wouldn't have thought of that. Day hubby picked me up from the airport he stopped at take out Chinese Food and ordered all my favs, few days later pizza and wings -- I made him eat upstairs. I thought it was insensitive too! I finally just decided if he wanted to kill himself with that food, 'Have at 'er'. Every time he complained about his knees or feet I just shot him a look and said, "You do it to yourself, stop whining". Insensitivity comes in many forms! <evil grin>

Having said that, he's being awesome now and our take out bill is TINY compared to what it is. We're doing a lot more cooking in our house! He really is being 100% supportive now and I LOVE IT!

You seriously crack me up!

I thought when the 3 weeks were over I would eat a whole cow, but strange as it may seem I eat a whole lot less. Food does not control me now. I am afraid of hurting my band. I need to eat more food than I am because I know enough about food to know that my body does not need to stay in starvation mode. But little steps. Congrats...take it slow. Dawn

I think I'm in the exact same headspace as you. Thanks so much!

Darn it!

I was hoping it wasn't carbonated and I had another choice. You did good, it is alot of brain re-training. I am fighting snacking and it's hard.

I have to find something else to do in the evening to avoid it. Even though my snack is healthy, I am trying to break the habit.

I am also afraid of solid food, I don't want to risk PBing either, that would freak everybody out, including myself. I told the girls at work that I have to carry a bag with me, just in case. We went to lunch on Friday and I ordered spaghetti and mushed it up, I ate some and then sat there, waiting for the full feeling, my friend thought I was going to PB. You should have seen her face, too funny!! They are the most supportive bunch of ladies ever! I am too lucky!!

Take care, Cathy

I hear ya, PB'ing is a big scary thing in my mind and I don't want to hurt my band. I also read that although you can have solids after 21 days, in our case, you actually don't heal for 6-8 weeks. I'm very conscious of that! I'm so glad to hear your work buds are so supportive. It really helps!

It really is amazing when I look back on what I used to eat compared to now, today my hubby and I were running errands and stopped in at Long John Silvers...

Before the band I would get the 2 chicken plank combo (with fries and hush puppies) and I would add an extra plank of chicken as well as end up eating whatever my son didn't finish.

Today I had 1/2 of one chicken plank and ended up pulling all the fried breading off so I just ate the meat!!

Congrats on your first day of solids Jann!!

Although I don't know what chicken planks or hush pupplies are I can imagine. I would equate that to me with fish and chips. I'd have a double order of fish (deep fried and battered of course) add an additional piece of fish and double the fries. (Each piece of fish would be the size of my whole hand and about an inch thick) Come home and two hours later my face would be stuffed in the pantry.

I have to say Mama, you look freaking amazing!!!! Congratulations on so much success. You've worked so hard!

Amazing day for you! Hope you took that lobster home for leftovers! Sounds delicious.

hehe -- hubby knew I wouldn't be able to eat much so he ordered a smaller (for him) dinner of steak and lobster. I just discretely pushed the rest of the lobster and the two racks of shrimp on his plate. He ate his steak and lobster, my lobster and shrimp, passed on the rice and potatoes and proudly told me he was only eating proteins! LOL! I sent back the potatoes, rice and the rest of it to the kitchen.

It's worthy of note that normally we would have gone through three baskets of the salted garlic cheese buns. I didn't have any. He ate two buns and returned the rest for garbage. They are one of his fav things in the world so I was seriously impressed! Kudos to Hubby!

I just kept reminding myself "YOU CAN'T JEOPARDIZE YOUR BAND". I drank a lot of freaking mushroom soup too. At this point I just have no stomach (pardon the pun) for it. Order the smallest sushi, trust me! hehe -- Sushi is good choice but watch the rice they put in it.

Isn't it great to be banded!! Like you Jann I am only a week or so ahead of you and I am still scared to eat too much, I know I am still healing. Tonight I just ate too much too fast and now my stomach hurts...oops. Not too bad but I should have stopped sooner. It was all vegetables but still they can damage my pouch just as easily. Now I have lobster and shrimp on my mind. Never did crave eggs of any sort.

Isn't it great to be banded!! Like you Jann I am only a week or so ahead of you and I am still scared to eat too much, I know I am still healing. Tonight I just ate too much too fast and now my stomach hurts...oops. Not too bad but I should have stopped sooner. It was all vegetables but still they can damage my pouch just as easily. Now I have lobster and shrimp on my mind. Never did crave eggs of any sort.

We learn as we go. I have that built in early warning system -- I get freaking hiccups and I know that I need to back away from the table.

It's tough to gage how fast is too fast. I found myself stopping myself while I was eating because I don't have that down yet.