Need advice

Hi All

I was banded on 14 August 2006 and it has been 1 week today. I am having trouble sleeping at night. When I go to bed, it feels like I have heart burn and I have found that I need to sleep in a somewhat elevated position to alieviate the pain symptoms. Is this normal. I thought that tonight I wouldn't have anything to eat or drink 2 hours before bedtime and hope that helps. If anyone has any suggestions can you please let me know.

Also, I know I am meant to be on liquid only diet for the another 4 weeks until my first fill, but it is driving me crazy already and I am worried I am going to start eating more solid foods. Is there anything that anyone finds helps with the hunger without bloating.

Thanks, Tarnia.

Hi Tarnia,

I also had a hard time sleeping after I was banded. My husband set me up 4 pillows and I was practically sleeping in an upright position in bed. After the first week or so I was finally able to lay down and have a normal nights sleep without any pain or discomfort. I did not experience any heartburn but I did feel some pain the first week. Also, did you have your band done by Dr. Ortiz?? If so, why are you on a liquid diet for 4 weeks? Did Dr. Miranda tell you that you had to be on liquids for 4 weeks? Just wondering. I was instructed to be on liquids for the first 3 weeks and at the start of the fourth week (Day 22) is when I started on my solid foods. Also they tell us that our first fill should not be scheduled until 6 to 8 weeks after your surgery. If you haven't already done so, you may want to order Dr. Ortiz's book. It has all the information you would ever want to know about the lapband. Also this forum is a great place to get information and help. Good luck with your continued success and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Deb

heartburn is not a good sign and you should call your doctor. Also, try not to have any liquids or food within 3 hours of bed - i find 2 hours isn't enough even though it's pretty close to 3 hours! good luck!

Hi Tarnia,

I also had a hard time sleeping after I was banded. My husband set me up 4 pillows and I was practically sleeping in an upright position in bed. After the first week or so I was finally able to lay down and have a normal nights sleep without any pain or discomfort. I did not experience any heartburn but I did feel some pain the first week. Also, did you have your band done by Dr. Ortiz?? If so, why are you on a liquid diet for 4 weeks? Did Dr. Miranda tell you that you had to be on liquids for 4 weeks? Just wondering. I was instructed to be on liquids for the first 3 weeks and at the start of the fourth week (Day 22) is when I started on my solid foods. Also they tell us that our first fill should not be scheduled until 6 to 8 weeks after your surgery. If you haven't already done so, you may want to order Dr. Ortiz's book. It has all the information you would ever want to know about the lapband. Also this forum is a great place to get information and help. Good luck with your continued success and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Deb

Thanks Deb - I haven't had a fill yet and it is scheduled in another 4 weeks (which will make it 5 in total). The pain has gone but I am feeling a bit depressed because I am supposed to be on a liquid diet but find I am able to eat basically anything. I was starving and had a a salad/meat sandwhich - which I ate slowly - and had no trouble at all. I thought I would have felt at least somehwhat restricted but didn't experience anything like that. Today I had family birthday party to go to and again ate without trouble - I ate healthy but not liquid. No pain at any time now and am sleeping easy. I really want to get my fill ASAP because I am afraid I will start eating bigger and I do not want to stretch my 'new' stomach. I am scheduled for my first fill in late September. Did it hurt when you had yours (my port is in my tummy - near the belly button - as opposed to near the sternum).

Tarnia,

When I read your earlier message it did not register your banding date!!!!

I m sorry you are struggling - the liquid phase is tough - most of us have been through it. I'm concerned becuase you say you were banded just a week or so ago - and you ate solid food - a sandwhich! You are seriously risking the band by doing that. Please call Dr. Miranda if you can't make it on the liquids as she will recommend things that wont compromise your band. The ENTIRE TIME between surgery and your first fill is NOT FOR WEIGHT LOSS - IF YOU LOSE WEIGHT THAT IS A BONUS - this time is only only only for healing - even if you can't feel it your stomach is in turmoil with a band around it - it needs to strongly heal in place. it is not uncommon at all to not have restriction because restriction at this time is only caused from swelling not saline in your port.

Please usse this time to follow the rules - as following the rules is the key to success after surgery. You are already pushing them which most of us do (if we were perfect we wouldn't need the band, right?) If I've misunderstood your message and you have the doc's approval to eat, i'm sorry but if not, please stop immediately and follow the docs instructions - your success depends on it. You don't want to lose the band before you even getting going. good luck, mary

Thanks Deb - I haven't had a fill yet and it is scheduled in another 4 weeks (which will make it 5 in total). The pain has gone but I am feeling a bit depressed because I am supposed to be on a liquid diet but find I am able to eat basically anything. I was starving and had a a salad/meat sandwhich - which I ate slowly - and had no trouble at all. I thought I would have felt at least somehwhat restricted but didn't experience anything like that. Today I had family birthday party to go to and again ate without trouble - I ate healthy but not liquid. No pain at any time now and am sleeping easy. I really want to get my fill ASAP because I am afraid I will start eating bigger and I do not want to stretch my 'new' stomach. I am scheduled for my first fill in late September. Did it hurt when you had yours (my port is in my tummy - near the belly button - as opposed to near the sternum).