Band related reservations....

Hubby and I are considering joining a group of friends that are hiking Yosemite's Half Dome in September. It is an 18.5 mile hike, with a 400 feet climb with cables at the end. My problem is not with the physical challenges of the terrain, but that I have this relatively unfounded sense that my band will in some way impede my ability to successfully complete this hike (or any other significant hike) and/or endanger my health.

Some of my biggest fears are that I will not be able to consume the calories that I need for energy on the trip (as I cannot really eat anything early in the AM and can only eat smaller portions at a time), or that I will eat something that will get stuck in my band blocking my stoma. Of course, being on a mountain, there would be no experienced medical personnel to unfill me or be able to help me with any other band related emergencies. I will then get dehydrated and need rescue. Or that I get port site pain (as I sometimes do during strenuous activities), not being able to continue and get left behind.....

There are a million other other scenarios (all band related) that run through my mind. I never before consciously thought that the band would ever limit what I could do, but why then do I have this impending sense of band related doom???

This is only the beginning of the many challenges that hubby and I want to conquer, but I can't even commit to this one because of my dumb fears.

Help! Why do I feel like this?? I have to find a way to get over it....

Since you are an experienced hiker Lynn, you know there are wonderful nutritional meals for hikers that carry high-energy in small volumes. If I had your fantastic opportunity, I'd think about planning a mid-length hike a little while before Half Dome, and try some of those energy meals. I might even start the high-energy foods a couple of days before I started. One of my students works at Yosemite, and has for a while now, and I've seen his photos of the area... what a great opportunity you have!

PS: Girl...you quit smoking AND did the lap band at the same time.... there isn't ANYTHING like this that can slow you down!!! Make sure you post a photo at the pinnacle of the climb!!

Lynn~

I think WillT gave some great advice. You are one tough woman and I think you can do it! Take some protein/energy bars with you and go for it girl!

No as long as you don't let limit you! Even with 25 lbs. off you should be able to walk more then you did! Don't forget to take your vitamins and drink your water. Eat as much protin as you can get. Remember to take nuts with you. So go for it!! Let us know how it was!

Kelly C

lyzzn,

I have to say that for me the band has freed me to do things I couldn't have ever thought I could accomplished. Don't think about what you can't do, think about what you can do and how the band is helping you get healthier to do everything and anything you set your mind to. Your a smart girl and you know what your doing. Go for it

Maytee :lb21:

Go for it, girl!!! You will be in better shape physically in September and should do fine. Keep us posted.

Hi lynzz,

My husband, my sister and I actually attempted this hike back in 1993. I was much thinner and in much better shape back then. We made it all the way up to right before the cables and had to turn around because we were exhausted and almost out of water. I can say that food was not my concern, water, water, water. This is by far the most challenging hike I ever attempted. I still want to go back and try again!

I do not think that food would be a problem, as others mentioned, there is so much good hiking food available on the market today that was not around 15 years ago when I tried this. As for medical help should you have a medical emergency, probably still not available. My husband's doctor advised him not to go back then because he has astham and uses an inhaler.

If you decide to go, take more water than you think you will need, especially if it is hot.

I lurk on this site mostly but I just had to respond to this one. Yosemite is one of my favorite spots.

I read your posts and you are amazing with your committment to exercise. Congrats on your weightloss progress and on quitting smoking.

Dawn

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!!

I thought about it today and realized that there is no real basis for my fears, I was just making excuses. So as WillT (My Bandmate on April 8th) said, it is a great opportunity, one of many, and I just cannot pass it up, So I told hubby we are making the trip!!

I will definately make sure that I am physically and mentally prepared for this trip, I would never go otherwise :P

I hike frequently and hit the gym everyday, so should be able to get in shape fairly easily.

Here are pics of San Jacinto Peak, we hiked it last Sunday.

070608SanJacinto084.jpg View from San Jacinto Peak

070608SanJacinto080.jpg Hubby and me at summit

070608SanJacinto097.jpg Me at the top.

I plan on doing progressively harder hikes until September.

Thanks again for calming my fears......

Hi lynzz,

My husband, my sister and I actually attempted this hike back in 1993. I was much thinner and in much better shape back then. We made it all the way up to right before the cables and had to turn around because we were exhausted and almost out of water. I can say that food was not my concern, water, water, water. This is by far the most challenging hike I ever attempted. I still want to go back and try again!

I do not think that food would be a problem, as others mentioned, there is so much good hiking food available on the market today that was not around 15 years ago when I tried this. As for medical help should you have a medical emergency, probably still not available. My husband's doctor advised him not to go back then because he has astham and uses an inhaler.

If you decide to go, take more water than you think you will need, especially if it is hot.

I lurk on this site mostly but I just had to respond to this one. Yosemite is one of my favorite spots.

I read your posts and you are amazing with your committment to exercise. Congrats on your weightloss progress and on quitting smoking.

Dawn

OMG, kudos to you for attempting half dome!! I am so sorry you had turn back, but I am glad you did the safe thing. As it will still probably still be warm in September, I will be sure to bring enough water. Hubby and I usually each carry a 100 oz. Camelback Pack and to supplement that we plan on filtering stream water along the way. So, we should have enough water to make it to the top. I know it will be challenging but its definately doable!! Now that I made the decision to do it, I am so excited, I can't wait!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and congrat on your progress, looks like you are doing quite well yourself. =D>

You know, it is never too late to try it again????......I hear there is a group going in September......hehehe. ;)

Lynn,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare for your hike. I'm excited for you.

I would like to go back and try it again. That would be a good goal for me to work toward for next summer.

You have inspired me.

Be careful and have a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos when you return.

Dawn

I can relate to this - of course on a lesser scale. I usually enjoy biking in the 10-20 mile range for a daily ride, but something came over me, and I decided to ride to another city - 20 miles away. I've always heard it was a fun ride, but never did it. It ended up being a 42 mile bike ride, on a hot sunny day, and I learned what my band can and can't do. Here's what I learned...

While exercising for those 4 hours, I could have easily been dehydrated. I used to swig water when I needed it..but with the band, I would feel full and sloshy so I used a camelbak pack instead - I did much better sipping often, and kept hydrated.

As far as eating, I ate before I left, but packed pop tarts per a suggestion from a cyclist for the halfway point. Well, it was good and bad. Bready things don't necessarily do well with me all the time, so I was able to eat one, but it sat like a lump of clay and was uncomfortable for a good hour afterwards. I really needed the carbs and sugars from both pop tarts as my ride home was a challenge. I was wobbly on the last 2 miles home. I was hydrated, but my blood sugars were too low. I crashed when I finally got home, and it wasn't from the exercise, but lack of foods. Next time, I'll bring something maybe I can suck on - sugar candies, or a crunchy protein bar (soft ones felt like a lump of clay too while exercising). I havent' tried on, but they also make energy gels which would be great for our bands.

The moral of my story is...I think you can do the hike - you just need to make the adjustments with the band. For me, that was drinking differently than I did pre-band. Big drinks of water don't sit well on the band while exercising - at least not with me. And for food - find some sucky alternatives - the energy gels, sugar candies, crunchy foods (maybe nuts). I found on other rides that when I actually ate something, even an handful of grapes, it was uncomfortable to ride shortly after that because they were in my pouch and not going straight thru. So maybe find some calories from drinks too instead of heavy foods. And make sure you're well hydrated up to the day before your hike. You'll need them for you 18 mile hike!! Good luck and have fun!!!

EXACTLY Calicat - The night before this last hike I got stuck on pasta (trying to carb up) and was not able to eat anything that evening. I tried yogurt and banana in the morning was not successful--was starving, but had to start hiking. I had no energy all morning.

I was never fond of the gel packs, but hubby convinced me to try it at about noon, and it went down fine, was able to suck on pack and keep moving, I felt better instantly. They are great!! My hubby says that the gel in these packs are highy digestible and your body can convert to energy almost immediately. He rock climbs and swears by the stuff, as it is very difficult to carry food in that sport...I had the chocolate ones, taste better than the Mocha, its kind of like a gooey tootsie roll. I also had nuts that made me PB, so I will have to stay away from those from now on. Those Cliff Bar "MoJo" are also great, they are light and crunchy and go down well.

I don't seem to have a problem with water. I usually drink a Gatorade G2 in the car to hydrate before I get there and continously sip from my Camelback Pack as I am hiking. This last time I mixed Crystal Light Hydration with my water, it has electrolites in it and made it taste much better.

I too get very uncomfortable eating while hiking or biking. I think I will have to live on the gel packs and the Mojo bars when I make my trip. It seems the most sensible way and it alleviates the problem of geting stuck while eating on the go. I feel sometimes the altitude interferes with my band too, I guess its possible. I read all the time about flying and changes in the band....who knows??

Great job on the 42 mile ride!! I am so proud of you!! I too have recently started biking again, but have not tried 42 miles yet. Maybe 10 years ago, but not yet recently. My husband mountain bikes, and is trying to talk me into giving it a try. Have you ever tried that?

Anyway, thanks for the tips Calicat!!

And...keep on biking!!

I like to ride my mountain bike, and switch off from my road bike. I don't ride it in the mountains though - gravel or dirt trails - but not true rugged terrain. I usually just us it to commute to work when its not too hot, and to ride with my son, or to his soccer games. I got a cool little grocery pannier pack that folds up on the side when it's not in use - it's great - it will fit a paper grocery bag or hold my son's soccer ball, my backpack with clothes and shoes for work, etc.

I'll have to try the gel packs. I definitely needed energy, and I wasn't going to be able to get it from food like some of the other riders.

Ya know, they told me about how elevation could potentially affect us bandsters. Oh lord, on the way home from OCC, I wasn't feeling great, but couldn't pinpoint if it was my incision pains, swelling, or the band being sensitive to elevation. So I was shocked when I flew back to OCC to get my first fill - and I was so very nausea when landing both times. I mean, it really worried me. I grabbed the barf bag - I've NEVER had to do that before. I'm a big rollercoaster fanatic, and I've been a little leary about trying it. Not sure what was up with me feeling so sick on the plane - but it sucked. I hope the elevation doesn't affect you. Have you climbed that high up before? Let me know. Next year I want to go to Hawaii and go to the top of the volcano. They take a stop half way up, just to acclimate to the altitude. I'd be interested to see how it affects you, if at all.

Good job on plugging away - I'm excited to hear your results.

Go for it Lynn! It's an amazing experience. As long as you have a lot of water you will be fine. Filtering water along the way is totally the way to go. The lighter you can pack the better. It's an extremely difficult hike, especially the end. The last mile or so is a very steep climb, not including the cables at the very end.

Climbing up and going back down in the same day is a very long day. If you have the gear for it, you may want to consider taking your time on the hike up and pitching a tent at the base and spending the night up there. It's an incredible sight at sunset. One of my most memorable moments.

Bring an extra pair of socks, a flashlight if you get a late start and a light weight pair of gloves for the cables at the end as well :) There are usually some gloves up there, but they're nasty.

Here's a pic from the very top with me and some friends. This is the summer of '91. I'm on the far right with the A's shirt (geez, I look like a baby).

chad_hike.jpg