A week into my band

So far it's ok. I guess I'm having a bit more pain than most that I've heard. I have my first post-op class today. My port site still has some pain here and there when I twist or move quickly. I don't know how normal that is. My abs have been pretty sore for the past week. Probably b/c I've babied them so much since I've had the surgery done. I'm also fairly swolen in the port site area. I don't know how normal that is either. Any others have these kinds of issues? Oh and my name is Randy and I'm from Cincinnati. As I said, I just had my surgery done a week ago yesterday.

Hi Randy:

:lb9:

Glad you posted. Everything sounds pretty normal as to what you are experiencing. Were you banded at the OCC? If so I know all people have a variety of post-op courses. As each day passes it will get better. Take care and sip, sip , sip the fluids.

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling these things. No I had my surgery done here in Cincinnati by Dr. Fegelman. He is great. I just don't like to bug him or his office with 10,000 questions all the time so I wanted to find a place online to ask. LOL Anyway, does anyone know what it feels like when a band slips? I'm paranoid about these things so I'd like to know. I didn't eat any solids until last Friday. I ate a little too much Sunday and it hurt bad and I was worried I may have messed something up as far as the band goes. It doesn't hurt anymore and I haven't felt any irregularities or discomforts down there so I assume everything is ok but I'm still curious about what a slipped band feels like. Yeah I also get this little pain just under my left rib cage. I assume it's a gas bubble. Man that thing can hurt! lol

Hi Randy!

Congrats on getting your band. :D

I also get the little gas bubbles under my ribcage. They drive me crazy! Best of luck to you. Visit us anytime you like!

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling these things. No I had my surgery done here in Cincinnati by Dr. Fegelman. He is great. I just don't like to bug him or his office with 10,000 questions all the time so I wanted to find a place online to ask. LOL Anyway, does anyone know what it feels like when a band slips? I'm paranoid about these things so I'd like to know. I didn't eat any solids until last Friday. I ate a little too much Sunday and it hurt bad and I was worried I may have messed something up as far as the band goes. It doesn't hurt anymore and I haven't felt any irregularities or discomforts down there so I assume everything is ok but I'm still curious about what a slipped band feels like. Yeah I also get this little pain just under my left rib cage. I assume it's a gas bubble. Man that thing can hurt! lol

Hi Randy and Welcome!!

I'm not sure what a slipped band feels like,but from what you said, I doubt that happened. I got the pain under my rib too and Doc said it was a normal part of healing. I'd get it when I bent over or slouched alot. It went away though and haven't experianced it in quite awhile. My port area is tender if I push around on it [to see how well I can feel it] Feel free to ask anything on here, there are alot of great people on this forum!! :D Darlene

You're normal. All of us newbie's worry whether what we're experiencing is normal ;-)

The incisions hurt more the 3rd week as the nerves started to knit themselves back together. They were numb before that. Then the swelling started to recede in earnest.

Contgratulations on your first week!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to feel "normal" now that everyone is reassuring me that what I feel is ok. I tried bowling yesterday. (I bowl twice a week) It wasn't too comfortable. So I guess I'll give it another week. I was able to throw the ball but not at the speed I use to have. I also couldn't bend over well b/c of my port site bothering me. So we'll see. I'm 21lbs down from my starting weight so all is going well so far. I am starting to get hungry before I should be so I have to talk to the dietician about that. I'm getting hungry about an hour before I should be. I've still be waiting until I should be eating though. I'm not eating anymore than I should be nor am I eating earlier than I should be. So it looks like I'll definitely need a fill as soon as I'm allowed to have one.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to feel "normal" now that everyone is reassuring me that what I feel is ok. I tried bowling yesterday. (I bowl twice a week) It wasn't too comfortable. So I guess I'll give it another week. I was able to throw the ball but not at the speed I use to have. I also couldn't bend over well b/c of my port site bothering me. So we'll see. I'm 21lbs down from my starting weight so all is going well so far. I am starting to get hungry before I should be so I have to talk to the dietician about that. I'm getting hungry about an hour before I should be. I've still be waiting until I should be eating though. I'm not eating anymore than I should be nor am I eating earlier than I should be. So it looks like I'll definitely need a fill as soon as I'm allowed to have one.

Does your surgeon allow solid foods one week post-op? Thanks.

I'm doing alright today. Thanks for asking. I feel a little weak though. Others say I look a little pale as well. I ate my lunch and that helped but I'm back to feeling weak again. I don't know what's wrong.

How many calories are you getting each day? Are you taking a multi-vit? Are you drinking enough water? Are you getting enough protein? Are you just on liquids or eating food? Just some thought as to the fatigue. Also remember you are still recovering from an invasive procedure if I remember correctly you just got your band recently. The body must heal and that process causes extra workload on your body which can be tiring. Are you resting throughout the day if possible? Try going to bed just even 1/2 to 1 hour earlier than usual to get some extra ZZZ's if you can. Drink the Special K protein water to help with protein needs and fiber too. Try and get 1200 calories a day. Hope this helps.