carbonated beverages

I have posted this twice already and I continue to not be able to find my post later. When I had my first fill I asked the doctor about carbonated beverages. He said that you could drink them if you let them sit for a minute. Has anybody else asked this question or do you know anybody who has done this. I was on vacation this past week and did have soda and beer and did not notice a problem except that it did not taste as good as it use to but I think that was because I knew I should not be drinking it. C

Hi Chrissy,

I guess if you wanted to let your soda or beer sit out until all the carbonation has fizzled away, that would be fine. Otherwise, avoid carbonated beverages - not only can they cause discomfort, they can cause your band to slip!

I have posted this twice already and I continue to not be able to find my post later. When I had my first fill I asked the doctor about carbonated beverages. He said that you could drink them if you let them sit for a minute. Has anybody else asked this question or do you know anybody who has done this. I was on vacation this past week and did have soda and beer and did not notice a problem except that it did not taste as good as it use to but I think that was because I knew I should not be drinking it. C

As someone who can't drink carbonated soda (IBS), I can tell you that it never really goes flat. It can get flattER, but there is still fizz enough to cause gas pressure.

I would really just suggest trying not to drink soda if you can possibly stand it, at least not until you are 100% healed and stable and less likely to slip.

Try Crystal Light or the sugar free Lemonades! They fill that sweet fix, but are allowed on the diet. Not that you won't still crave the carbonated drinks, but it will definitely help. Also, I really enjoy propel. It really helps.

I know I will miss Diet coke a lot too. A super big gulp from 7-11 has made me feel better many, many times. It was something my family did to celebrate or in sorrow. From the time I was 10, we all went and got a big gulp. Thankful, I switched to diet when I was 13, or I would be at least 600 pounds!!! But losing this weight is well worth never having Diet coke again. If it means being smaller and healthier, it is well worth it to me. Interestingly, I am having surgery in 5 days, so I planned on getting all my diet coke in now, and saying a farewell, but it really hasn't sounded as good as my diluted crystal light. My husband keeps offering me a diet coke and being shocked when I turn him down. Maybe my body is getting ready for the changes it will be making. I hope all adjustments go this well.

Becki

thanks for the answers. I did drink soda I did not wait till it was flat just a few minutes after I opened it and I did not have any discomfort. I was not told by the doctor(Romero) that I had to wait till it was flat just a few minutes. I am wondering why we get different stories. Dr Miranda never told me I could have beer after six months. this is why this is such a great place for all of our questions. thanks for the help. I did not drink soda for 2months and I do not plan on it now that I am back home. I have lost 32 pounds so far and I am so happy and still learning how to eat and not throw up. TODAY IS OUR 15TH WEDDING ANNIVERSRY. we are going out to dinner and I hope I do ok thanks for the responses. C

Lori,

if you are reading this can you get us a definitive answer from Dr. Ortiz? I know his book says you can have carbonated beverages but when I had my surgery in November 05 I was told and have it in writing from Dr. Miranda - NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES EVER AGAIN - IN CAPS!!!!

ALSO, as littlero said a drink DOES NOT GO FLAT IN A FEW MINUTES. It takes hours for a beverage to go flat.

I would really like to know the doctor's answer on this.

p.s SLURPIES AT 7-11 ARE CARBONATED

PS. at my surgery time Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez also said no carbonated beverages

Hey C

Good question and I'm not sure but I think ALL are - i'm gonna find out from 7-11 and will let everyone know cuz i would kill for one if i could have it - esp on a hot summer day.

i had written 7-11 once before begging them to do one with diet coke cuz i love love love em!

Marys what a great question and thanks for the info on the slurpies I did not think that they were carbonate is it all of them or just the coke ones? C

Thanks Lori - :D

I admit I was already planning a store run for my very missed diet orange soda but I'll wait. Mary

Ok guys, I've sent this question directly to the top, I'll let you know what I hear back from Dr. Ortiz, so until then NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES!!!

What I do is put crushed ice into a cup and then pour it back and forth into another cup and the majority of the fizz will be gone if you do this 4-5 times. I am super careful about soda. I would rather be SAFE than Sorry. I totally understand how hard it is as sometimes you just miss the flavors of the sodas and this is the only way I have found to feel like I had a soda and not worry.

Good Luck,

Kay :D

Ok... attention... attention... this si straight from Dr. Ortiz

No carbonated beverages for the first 6 months PERIOD!

Best to avoid after that... no nutritional value!

Thank you Lori. I now feel better knowing for sure what I can do. Has anybody heard if slurpees have carbonation or not my husband says no the machine does not have carbonated water hooked up to it

• 3 weeks later...

Lori,

How have you done? You post all kinds of great information on here, but never how much you have lost, or how your fill worked for you. Have you only had one fill? How is it going? I talked to you on the phone the first time I called. You were very encouraging. Just wondering how the surgery has worked for you.

Becki