How do I get started

Ok so I am interested and I am checking my options. If I get it done in Oregon I have to go through a sleep study, meet to have a psychological evaluation, have EKG and blood work done. Meet with a physical therapist and if I dont pass the psychological eval they can deny me. Does OCC do this? How do you get started? How much does it all cost? What should I do to get the ball rolling. I am scarred about doing this, but I think this is what I have to do. Does OCC make you go on the diet first to lose weight. What about the hemangomia I have on my liver, will that be a problem? Can anyone tell me what they did to get started?

Kim

not banded yet

current weight 236 pounds

5'5

Hi Kim:

I too am from PDX and was banded at the OCC in Mexico. I checked out the programs locally and all of them had sooo many hoops to jump through as well as the cost (unless you have insurance that will cover) are just too much. This is a great place to find out many answers to all those questions. I to have a hemangioma on my liver, a small one, and there was no problem with it and having the surgery. The OCC really has no hoops to jump through. Yes you do a pre-op diet and should try to lose 5% of your total body weight. just pick up the phone and call right now to start yourself on the road to a new you...You won't regret it!!

Contact the OCC and talk to either Lori or Carolyn. They will answer all your questions and are very nice ladies. Let us know your decision! Good luck!

Hi Kim:

I too am from PDX and was banded at the OCC in Mexico. I checked out the programs locally and all of them had sooo many hoops to jump through as well as the cost (unless you have insurance that will cover) are just too much. This is a great place to find out many answers to all those questions. I to have a hemangioma on my liver, a small one, and there was no problem with it and having the surgery. The OCC really has no hoops to jump through. Yes you do a pre-op diet and should try to lose 5% of your total body weight. just pick up the phone and call right now to start yourself on the road to a new you...You won't regret it!!

Oh my god, your note made me cry. Thank god there is someone here in Portland like me who has this problem. How are you doing with it? What can you share with me? I'm scarred. Am I attempting to take the easy way out? She told me just to change my lifestyle. I just dont know how. That is what my friend told me. Where do you go for fills around here?

Ok I called them I am very excited but have a few more questions, maybe you could answer.

1. How did you feel about the standard of care in Mexico?

2. How do you feel about follow up from them?

3. Do they make you sign waivers that they are not responsible for any complications regarding the surgery.

My friend does not want me to do this. She said if I get an infection, there will be no one to help me. Can you please tell me about these?

I was until I talked to someone in person. PM me and I can give you my number. I would be glad to talk to you about it.

I received better care there and I have in the hospitals here in Atlanta! I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

I was until I talked to someone in person. PM me and I can give you my number. I would be glad to talk to you about it.

I received better care there and I have in the hospitals here in Atlanta! I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

ok I sent you a message I hope I did it right.

My friend does not want me to do this. She said if I get an infection, there will be no one to help me. Can you please tell me about these?

That is untrue. If you get an infection which endangers your life or well-being, doctors have to treat you NO MATTER WHAT. IF you are turned away from a hospital because of the nature of an infection which endangers you or inability to pay without them referring you to someone who can help you, you will own that hospital. The tricky part comes from the in-betweens like what if you need an unfill or start having complications which are non life-threatening. For that eventuality you need to either have a doctor researched locally who will provide aftercare to Mexican patients or have the cash and other resources on hand necessary to head down to TJ at a moment's notice. Dr Ortiz will give you numbers to call when you check out of the clinic which includes his personal cell number. There are several posts on the forum where people have told about calling that numbers and receiving an answer even in the middle of the night. Call the bariatric surgeons in your area and find out if they will do aftercare for you if you're banded in Mexico. Also you can probably find support groups from them as well. Bandster support groups are a wealth of knowledge for who to go to, who to avoid, and many tips and tricks for bandster life.

Oh and your actual questions. Obviously these refer to OCC which is the only Mexican clinic I've had contact with. If you're going to any clinic do your homework thoroughly:

1) The standard of care is excellent. At OCC I'd certainly say it was above and standard of care of received in the states except from my old General Physician (who was super awesome bTw until he retired)

2) Follow up is also awesome. They make themselves available for appointments, advice, and are easily accessed through email or phone.

3) Yes, you will have to sign waivers but don't all doctors do that before surgery? Also, why go to someone you expect to screw up? Go to someone you'll be confident will do a good job the first time out.

I was banded on June 19th. (July 10th is my first day of solid food since the surgery.) Two days after surgery I was throwing up. We mad ea phone call from the lobbly of the hotel (they have the clinic on speed dial.) Within a few minutes the van was there and picked me and my partner up and I saw the doc less than a half hour after calling them. They looked at my band under fluro and determined it was still properly placed and treated me for dehydration, nausea, and gave me pain meds and vitamins. By the time the IV was done, I was feeling pretty good. I have not had any further issues.

I would go back to the OCC again in less than a heartbeat. The standard of care wsa wonderful. The nurses don't speak much English, but are super sweet and make themselves understood. They may not know English, but they know nursing. And that was the more important.

I have located a fill doc that is only 2 miles from my house. there is a group on yahoo that is called mexicanbandsters. You could ask on there if anyone lived near you that could give you fill and follow-up options. You could also get fills through fill centers usa.

Elaine