Husband and wife team

I could not believe the conversation my husband and I had. I was telling him wonderful all of you are and that you are all giving me such good information. I told him about my phone call to (tammy) in Atlanta, and then out of his mouth he says, I think I am afraid that you will lose the weight and leave me. I almost cried. We talked about it and I explained to him this is not going to happen. Then this morning he talked about going with me. Has anyone done it together. Our only problem is who will take care of our 4 year old child while we are gone. He has mild autism so he can't be dragged around somewhere. It is going to be hard to find someone I trust. My family is not an option. Any ideas anyone? Has anyone gone together?

I wish I was near you, because I would have loved to take care of youre child, as I have a nephew with downs syndrome. I love kids. They are so special. I hope you find someone to help you. There has been lots of sisters that have done this together as well as mother and dauthers. Dont know about couples. Good luck finding someone to help you.

Yes, my husband and I did it together. There have been other couples, too. We were banded the same day, one after the other. He has the larger VG band, while I have the older style 4 cc band. We had very minimal pain and felt fairly good right after surgery, and it was not a problem that we were both post surgery together. It has worked very well for us to be on the same page in buying food and cooking meals, although so far he has had much less restriction than I have. We share meals when we go out or plan to have leftovers for several days. We occasionally buy the larger size frozen meals and split them. We stop each other from buying bad foods, because we don't want to create temptation for each other.

However, we do not have small children. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to lift your child for up to 6 weeks after surgery. It sounds like you don't have family to depend on to take care of your child, so that might be a reason for the two of you to space out your surgeries rather than getting them together. Otherwise, having both members of a couple banded works out wonderfully.

I have heard of several couples that have had it done. Also, I did not have any trouble lifting children once I got home. I have an extremely supportive husband. He is my best friend and he has done so much to help me with my weight loss. Sounds like you may have a husband like that as well. Do you any close friends that would be willing to watch your son? Explain to them that this prosess is necessary to ensure that you are around and healthy throughout your sons life.

i think yall doing it together would be a great support to each other. i do not have any advice for your son. is it possible for him to go with you and you and your husband do surgery oppisite days. i really had no problem. two days later we went to the san deigo zoo. it was awsome. i found myself a little sore but more than able to do stuff. let me know how it goes.

I could not believe the conversation my husband and I had. I was telling him wonderful all of you are and that you are all giving me such good information. I told him about my phone call to (tammy) in Atlanta, and then out of his mouth he says, I think I am afraid that you will lose the weight and leave me. I almost cried. We talked about it and I explained to him this is not going to happen. Then this morning he talked about going with me. Has anyone done it together. Our only problem is who will take care of our 4 year old child while we are gone. He has mild autism so he can't be dragged around somewhere. It is going to be hard to find someone I trust. My family is not an option. Any ideas anyone? Has anyone gone together?

My wife and I are both banded. I was banded in March of 2007 and when she saw what great results I had,, In September she came out of the blue and said she wanted to be banded too. And I mean she wanted to be banded right now! LOL. So off we went to the OCC. She's been doing good with the band too. I dropped 95lbs and so far she's lost 45lbs. The band is a great tool,, remember,, with proper fills and good restriction,, the band works!

Hi Stormy:

I sent you a PM as I too am from Portland. I read your personal page and I think we may have some things in common. I would love to chat with you about the possibilities with your son and being banded together or not. I too have a wonderful husband who supports me in all I do. He isn't FAT but has lost weight (he needed to lose about 20lbs.) just to be supportive of me. Anyway I sent you my phone number so please don't hesitate to call me. I'd love to share my journey so far and see if I can't help you in some way figure out how/what to do with your son. Happy day.

:lb9:

I found child care. The woman who runs the daycare said she would watch him all weekend. So we could leave on Thursday, have surgery on Friday and be back by Sunday. I am thinking August. But I am waiting for the financing to come through but I only applied for me, now I need to change that. WOW, I can't believe this is happening. If financing comes through and we can get the time off from work WE ARE GONNA DO IT!!! that is if he dont chicken out..... HA

I found child care. The woman who runs the daycare said she would watch him all weekend. So we could leave on Thursday, have surgery on Friday and be back by Sunday. I am thinking August. But I am waiting for the financing to come through but I only applied for me, now I need to change that. WOW, I can't believe this is happening. If financing comes through and we can get the time off from work WE ARE GONNA DO IT!!! that is if he dont chicken out..... HA

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you, both of you. No, all 3 of you. Being thinner will make you healthier and make you live longer for each other and for your child! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband and I are both banded now. He just got back from OCC.

I got my band in March and although I think my progress has been slow, he was impressed enough to want to have the surgery himself.

He is doing great, just added the drinkable yogurt today.

He has always been a good dieter, just had trouble keeping the weight off. I think he will be very successful with his lap band.

We were joking today about how much money we will save when the two of us can share a meal and still take home leftovers!

It would have been nice if he would have been able to come down and have the surgery with me. I went by myself because we have no dependable family here and two boys ages 9 and 11. How it turned out was okay too though. I have this "what if something bad happens" mentality that makes me think one parent at a time is an okay way to go too. But, that is just me and my anxiety!

Good luck. I hope you can get things worked out so that you can have the surgery at the same time.

Dawn

How wonderful for you to have each other for support! I am glad he is going with you, it will give him more lifetime to love you.

"Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be..." John Lennon