08.21.06 Bandsters

Hey Gals!

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who got banded on 08.21.06 by Dr. Ortiz.

I hope all of you are doing well and had a safe journey home.

Please write a line when you get a chance!

PatU in Arkansas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pat,

it was great to meet both you and your husband in person. I have only just returned home having travelled to Florida on the Friday after the surgery. Luckily we were fairly unaffected by the hurricane so my husband and kids enjoyed the week.

I developed problems with gas about three days after surgery and although all the incisions have healed nicely I am unable to sleep on my left side. The port incision irritates me when I lay down to sleep so I have resorted to placing a pillow under that side. One of my friends also suggested that I rub Mederma on the scars to reduce the scaring effect on the skin.

I am not coping well with the liquid diet and can't wait for day 21 to arrive.

Glad you made it back! I wondered how you faired during the hurricane. We actually got a little rain from Hurricane John from the west coast. Very odd for Arkansas since we get our moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.

I had awful gas on the way home on the Thursday after surgery so I know how uncomfortable you were! I made the mistake of drinking apple juice and it had the worst effect. Plus, we were delayed in Chicago for 3 1/2 hours which made it worse! Thankfully, the gas only lasted that one day and I have not tried apple juice again.

I definitely understand about the liquid diet part. I've done pretty well because I was on a liquid diet for a year back in 2000 so it hasn't been too hard. One little trick I have used is to suck on a sugar free candy like Werther's or Jolly Rancher when I get hunger hunger pangs. I also treat myself with the Gogurts and yogurt smoothies. I've never tried those before and I do like them. I have also tried most of the Cambell's soups. I was never a soup person but they are quite satifying right now . . . especially the ones with a little spice. I have to leave the good stuff at the bottom but the broth is good. Both boys are suspicious and don't understand why I'm only eating certain things but I just tell them I am on another diet. Not a lie.

I did tell my twin, Pam. She was very supportive but understood why I couldn't tell my folks (just yet). Everyone at work has been extremely inquisitive and worried about my health. However, I have more energy now than before the band! So far, so good.

PatU