PBing

karenlynn79

Yes it is possible and certainly preferable - the best way to avoid it at all costs is to never eat again - ONLY KIDDING! You should take tiny bites the size of a pea and chew to liquid, swallow and wait 2-3 minutes before your next bite. Avoid starchy carbohydrates like white bread, pasta and rice and fiborous veges and you lessen your chances. Also if you are filled properly - not too tight - helps. If something feels stuck DO NOT TRY TO DRINK ANYTHING TO PUSH IT THROUGH - this will NOT work and cause a pb. Lastly stop eating when you are satisfied and remove the word 'full' from your vocabulary - if you are Full you have probably over filled your pouch and can throw up. That should do it - :D

quote name='karenlynn79' date='Aug 26 2006, 01:19 AM' post='3773']

Has anyone NOT PB'd after surgery?? I am getting close, 1 week today, and a bit worried about it. Basically just wondering how to avoid doing it at all costs???????????

Thanks

Karen

Karen I've read about many many bandsters who've had very few PB episodess. I think you just have to learn your limits. I'm not banded yet but I have read TONS about the PBing b/c it scares the heck out of me too! I have a banded friend who says she is very careful but not obsessively careful and she hasn't had any episodes. I am hopeful I'll avoid it!

I was banded one month ago and I have not had my first fill yet. I am anxious and I know that my pb'ing will change. I've had the feeling and it sucks, but you learn to know when it's coming and almost always it is because I didn't chew enough. I never pb'ed with liquids. And for some reason, eggs did NOT agree with me even though I chewed and chewed their soft scrambledness.

Here is something I did yesterday and once or twice before. If you GROSS out easily, you might not want to read on. But if it helps, maybe someone else has tired it....it worked for me.

I was eating in a resturant yesterday morning and one morning that day I had the scrambled eggs. I felt very uncomfortable at the table, so I excused myself and went into the ladies room. I picked the stall on the end in the ladies room and kneeled on the floor and....stuck my finger in my throat. The food that was stuck just came up and into the toilet. It wasn't gross or fowl. Just lots of mucus and I felt better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't binge and purge and I am not annorexic. I just tried it because I felt horrible. I guess I need to make sure with Dr. Miranda if that is going to mess up my band. Maybe I should be sending this email to her. :unsure:

I do NOT plan on making this a habit and hope I don't have to do it again. No eggs for me.

Good luck and remember...you will learn to know what your body responds to. I have never been so "in tune" with what I eat and how it effects me until know. I feel really good knowing that I really have to think before putting something into my body.

Here's to good health....

M

Hey Cleo - Yeah eggs are tough for most - i can get them down sometimes. I understand abbout the finger in throat - i have heard many other bandsters doing that rather than waiting for it to come up on it's own. I personally haven't done it but in the beginning it would just be stuck for hours as i had such an aversion to throwing up. My bandster friend who has been banded over 1 year used to say - just wait, you'll figure it out...well unfortunately she was right - now if needed I can just barely tilt my head down and up it comes - i hate pbing something fierce but if it has to come up it has to come up and i'd rather get it over with so i can move on/heal my innards etc.

And, I can imagine at a restaurant - you can't keep running to the bathroom spitting into your napking (that happens to me before it actually comes up) -I'll be spitting out my saliva for up to 10 minutes soooo no it's not the ideal but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Take care.

I was banded one month ago and I have not had my first fill yet. I am anxious and I know that my pb'ing will change. I've had the feeling and it sucks, but you learn to know when it's coming and almost always it is because I didn't chew enough. I never pb'ed with liquids. And for some reason, eggs did NOT agree with me even though I chewed and chewed their soft scrambledness.

Here is something I did yesterday and once or twice before. If you GROSS out easily, you might not want to read on. But if it helps, maybe someone else has tired it....it worked for me.

I was eating in a resturant yesterday morning and one morning that day I had the scrambled eggs. I felt very uncomfortable at the table, so I excused myself and went into the ladies room. I picked the stall on the end in the ladies room and kneeled on the floor and....stuck my finger in my throat. The food that was stuck just came up and into the toilet. It wasn't gross or fowl. Just lots of mucus and I felt better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't binge and purge and I am not annorexic. I just tried it because I felt horrible. I guess I need to make sure with Dr. Miranda if that is going to mess up my band. Maybe I should be sending this email to her. :unsure:

I do NOT plan on making this a habit and hope I don't have to do it again. No eggs for me.

Good luck and remember...you will learn to know what your body responds to. I have never been so "in tune" with what I eat and how it effects me until know. I feel really good knowing that I really have to think before putting something into my body.

Here's to good health....

M

I am happy to say that I haven't PB'd yet! I have had some uncomfortable moments as I learn to live banded (no more peanut butter filled preztels in the morning - ouch!) Eat slowly, "chew to goo" and if you feel a "wad in your chest" STOP!! don't try to drink something to force it through - you may just expand what's already there. Give yourself some time. And if you do PB - don't start eating again - wait awhile, you are probably irritated so let things calm down for awhile. Try to avoid PBing often - you risk band slippage!

You really don't start experiencing what its like to eat with the band until after that first fill... quite a change!

Hi, before my first fill I did not pb at all and I could eat anything except bread. I had my first fill and oh my gosh the first meal after liquids and I pb'd it was such a awful feeling. I have learned but still pb probably 2 times a week. I am going to go back at the end of Sept for a 2nd fill and see if I need to change. I know my problem. I eat to big of a bite. I am frustrated that I still have trouble with that after 2 months But I know it will get better. good luck to all C

Do most people have problems with eggs? That surprises me, and worries me a little. I had planned on lots of egg white omelets for breakfast. So what do people eat for breakfast that is solid food? What aboat cereal? Yogurt? Cottage cheese? It seems to me that most breakfast food is either bad for you, or kind of liquidy. Can someone give me some breakfast ideas? And an idea if I might be able to handle eggs?

Thanks,

Becki

I don't have problems with scrambled eggs at all, in fact its one of the things I can eat in the morning. I either do a scrambled egg or a protein shake because I feel a lot of restriction in the morning. I usually end up doing a protein shake because I'm running around like a crazy woman most mornings, but on the weekend I do a scrambled egg.

I can do eggs most days too (although what works one day is never a guarantee it will work another). i've had lots of things though (also always after hot coffee) - sausage, turkey or vege breakfast patties and links are good, cottage cheese mixed with yogurt, a slice of diet cheese on toast or 1/2 english muffin, oatmeal, smoked salmon with a little cream cheese rolled up, i dont really do cereal - like it too much to stop and it doesn't fill me up at all.

No problem with eggs or egg based foods such omelets or quiche. My problem is I am afraid I am not getting in enough protein each day. I did mix some soy based protein with my oatmeal - ugh...not the best, but then, not the worst. Anyone have any ideas on how to get protein powder incorporated into foods other than milk. (I am not supposed to drink much milk due to being allergic.)

No problem with eggs or egg based foods such omelets or quiche. My problem is I am afraid I am not getting in enough protein each day. I did mix some soy based protein with my oatmeal - ugh...not the best, but then, not the worst. Anyone have any ideas on how to get protein powder incorporated into foods other than milk. (I am not supposed to drink much milk due to being allergic.)

Try adding a protein powder to Silk (soy milk - yummy!). If you use the chocolate powder and the chocolate Silk (they have a light version) then you should be okay. The egg white powder has some insane amount of protein in it, like 24 grams per scoop, and it blends well.

ladybug,

When i was on my low-carb kick several years back I mixed my protein powder with water, added a little peanut butter and some vanilla extract. I mix mine with milk now for a little more protein, but just a dollop of peanut butter in a chocolate low-carb, high-protein shake really tastes good :) I get my protein powder from Costco.

Has anyone NOT PB'd after surgery?? I am getting close, 1 week today, and a bit worried about it. Basically just wondering how to avoid doing it at all costs???????????

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen,

Well, I"m almost 5 months post op and I haven't PB'ed yet. I'm doing very little else that I'm supposed to be doing and my success stopped 3 months ago but that's for a different message I'll post today.

Actually, I thought I might PB yesterday... from rice no less. I think the key is to chew. I didn't really chew the rice and it became a problem.

If you get something stuck, I've found that walking around helps and/or putting your arms over your heak.

Take care,

NWMarc

Thanks

Karen

I agree with the advice given so far. I didn't have any problems until after my first fill. I'm one week from my fill, and I've had PB problems twice. First was with a roast that some friends made. I tried to take really small bites and chew to goo, and no luck. Second was today, this time sliced tri-tip. I think I'm seeing a pattern.

I don't have problems with eggs or chicken.

One thing I think is good is to really try to eat the solid food. I eat a lot less food now that I'm trying to eat solids. Even though the PB was unpleasant, I saw it as a sign that my band was working. I'd rather have a PB and be losing weight than have no restriction without PB. I think that if your plan is to never PB, you'll eat soft foods all the time, which doesn't get you weight loss.

Just my two cents.