Does the band serve any purpose before your fills?

I had restriction from the band alone for about a month and a half. My bestfirend, however, did not. I think everyone is different. Hang in there! That fill will fix you up for sure!

I don't think I feel any different then before I was banded other then I feel pure guilt if I have too much to eat? Does the band do anything pre fill, do we have a pouch? Are we working on pure will power?

I am in the same boat as you but not for long as I get my fill on Thursday. Anyway I think it feels the same as before at this point to me as well. What is happening is our stomach has had time to heal and is getting used to having a foreign object around it. Yes we do have a pouch but with no restriction food still goes through it as it is still as big as your esophagus. It's after a fill or two that we finally really get to "use" our band to help us with the portion control as I see it. I didn't realize this in the beginning or ignored what I had read thinking I'd be different but now have settled into knowing this will take more time that the immediate. Hope this helps.

:lb11:

I still have restriction 5 weeks later, but it's getting less and less, my first fill is tommorrow.

My surgeon told me not to expect weight loss between surgery and first fill. I guess I was one of the lucky ones who's band alone provided restriction.

You can do it, just eat as your surgeon recommends and if you need to snack to feel full, eat healthy snacks.

When is your first fill?

Cathy

I go tomorrow for my 1st fill...I actully feel like Sh$t cuz I gained 5lbs....possibly 6lbs...I refuse to admit to any more lol!!! THe will power is fading! ahhhhhhh!!!! Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed I feel restriction on my 1st fill!...Also I went back on birth control pills and I feel like a savage beast when it comes to my hunger

I think mine has some restriction. I get full much faster than normal. Although I do eat slower so that may do it as well. I normally get hungry about 3 or so hours after I eat so that's pretty good. I have lost some weight but I dunno if it's b/c of the band or me being too scared to eat too much b/c of hurting myself though. lol

I go tomorrow for my 1st fill...I actully feel like Sh$t cuz I gained 5lbs....possibly 6lbs...I refuse to admit to any more lol!!! THe will power is fading! ahhhhhhh!!!! Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed I feel restriction on my 1st fill!...Also I went back on birth control pills and I feel like a savage beast when it comes to my hunger

Don't worry about the past, focus on the future and pray for a fabulous fill and you are on your way!!!

Mine's tommorrow too...Good Luck Cathy

i see that you are a fellow canadian! are you returning to mexico for your fill or have you found a surgeon near you? i go for my surgery in tijuana on friday but have yet to find anyone here in winnipeg who is willing to perform a fill on a "mexico patient". yikes.

i see that you are a fellow canadian! are you returning to mexico for your fill or have you found a surgeon near you? i go for my surgery in tijuana on friday but have yet to find anyone here in winnipeg who is willing to perform a fill on a "mexico patient". yikes.

Hi happy girl -- I was in the same boat. The closest is Minneapolis. You're right, Maples won't touch Mexico banded people :)

I get banded next monday!

It's hard to say, it might depend on the size of your band.

The one wrapped around my stomach is only 10 cm long -- about 4 inches. And that's on the outside of my stomach, with my actual stomach walls filling that in. So that means that the opening from my new stomach pouch onto the lower one is only the size of a quarter at best.

Then, while that heals, you're on liquids for three weeks. I can't say about everyone else, but my stomach simply doesn't hold as much as it did a month ago. It seems to hold about 6 ounces and I stay full a while, but after about 3 hours I'm hungry again.

I'm hoping in two weeks after my first fill I stay full longer.

Hi happy girl -- I was in the same boat. The closest is Minneapolis. You're right, Maples won't touch Mexico banded people :)

I get banded next monday!

Yay Shannon it's almost time.

Really!!!! that sucks!!

I will be seeing a local doctor. They really need fill clinics here like they do in the US, that would be sooo handy.

Good luck!

Heather

The time after the banding and before the first fill is supposed to be for healing, not necessarily for losing weight. There is NO saline in your band, and unless you have some lucky restriction from the band itself, you probably won't have any restriction until your first fill. Whether you lose weight during that time really will depend on your food choices and intake.

I was a bit obsessive about what I ate... still didn't lose much weight during that time.

Hi there, yes I live in Kitchener, Ontario...I had my surgery in Mississauga 5 weeks ago and have all of my fills and f/up visits there. They are unlimited and included for the next 5 years. So luckily, I don't have to travel far or search for a fill dr.

Cathy

I am not feeling much restriction either. I can't eat AS MUCH as I used to, but I can definitely tell that my restriction has started to slowly fade and slowly I feel myself being able to eat more and more. I am about a month and a half out of surgery, so I guess that is pretty great that I still have even a little bit of restriction after this long. I am just at a point now where my weight is NOT budging!! :( I am getting royally pi**ed to say the least. I just keep thinking to myself ... 'Did I just waste over $2000 for surgery to only get half way to my goal?!?!?' I know that I need to add more exercise, that is one thing I can do more of... and I need to be better about drinking water. I have made a conscious effort the past week or so but weight still hasn't moved an ounce. Grrrrrr :blink::wacko::angry: I will be getting my first fill on Aug 20 by Dr. Ren at NYU weight loss center... I have heard marvelous things about her so I am really pleased that I was able to get an appointment. Fills there are only $100 too!

Hiya!

How'd it go with the fill? You went to Decrouteaux didn't you? How are you feeling? I'm there on the 23rd.

J

It want great!!! It was alot easier then I thought it would be. Dr DesCouteux is wonderful...I swear I feel different....He said he was going to put in 1.0cc but he put a tad bit more in....I think he said 1.4 or 1.2....

I can't wait to feel this "restriction" that everyone raves about

Good luck with your fill!!

quote name='Jann' date='Jul 16 2008, 07:47 AM' post='41231']

Hiya!

How'd it go with the fill? You went to Decrouteaux didn't you? How are you feeling? I'm there on the 23rd.

J

It want great!!! It was alot easier then I thought it would be. Dr DesCouteux is wonderful...I swear I feel different....He said he was going to put in 1.0cc but he put a tad bit more in....I think he said 1.4 or 1.2....

I can't wait to feel this "restriction" that everyone raves about

Good luck with your fill!!

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear that. You sound reinvigorated! Dr. D. has a really good reputation around the city too and apparently he's very vested in his patients and banding. It will be good to finally meet him!

J

I'm seeing Dr. Decouteaux on the 25th. I am a little behind because we had a huge party to do for my son's wedding reception on the 5th and I didn't want to risk any problems at that time. I still feel a little restriction from the surgery although my banded friend tells me that it can't be restriction. If I eat too much my stomach has a hard knot in it and I can feel it when I press down on my stomach plus I don't feel able to eat any more. Now I am wondering how different it will feel with a fill. I have noticed that I am eating more and more as the days go by so it will be good to get a little more control.

I thought that the recommended fill for the first time in a 4cc band was 1.5. Did the Dr. say why he is using less? I know they tend to be a little more conservative here. With my stomach I might be better off to go slower but I am also anxious to get that good restriction happening. I plan to go to TJ for my second fill.

Cheryl

I am in the same boat as you but not for long as I get my fill on Thursday. Anyway I think it feels the same as before at this point to me as well. What is happening is our stomach has had time to heal and is getting used to having a foreign object around it. Yes we do have a pouch but with no restriction food still goes through it as it is still as big as your esophagus. It's after a fill or two that we finally really get to "use" our band to help us with the portion control as I see it. I didn't realize this in the beginning or ignored what I had read thinking I'd be different but now have settled into knowing this will take more time that the immediate. Hope this helps.

:lb11:

Not true. DR Oput 1 cc in my band when it was installed.It was still there when i had my 1st fill.

Okay...are you saying that there is no weight loss after the band???? You mean you simply CANT eat as much but DONT feel full??? I'm confused and starting to rethink my decision HELP

No Francie, that's not what we are saying.. everyone is different, some people have restriction for a few weeks after surgery and then it fades and a fill is required. I went to my surgeon today for a fill and didn't need one yet...I am five weeks post op and still have restriction and continue to lose weight.

My surgeon told me not to expect weight loss between surgery and first fill...but yet again, everyone is different, I have lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks!

Try not to get discouraged, like I said everyone is different and has different needs, you will do just fine.

Cathy