Why is protein so freaking nasty!

So I went to GNC yesterday when I got off work and looked for I know 30 minutes over all the protein products they have. I decided on the 100% Whey Protein (unflavored) it has 21 grams of protein and 110 calories, 2 fat grams, and 2 carbs per scoop. Sounded like the right bang for my buck. Well I blended it with my slim fast this morning, so all together that is 31 grams of protein for breakfast. Well I mixed it all together and drank a sip and I about threw up! WHY! Its suppose to be unflavored! UGH! :((

Trina, I don't know :lol2: But now I know I don't have to go and get it - was thinking about it ;)

I usually drink the 100% Whey Protein chocolate or vanilla and find them actually good and get them down better than others I've tried.

I make them with FF milk and 1 1/2 scoops per shake.

Since I'm looking for some unflavored protein to mix into other food, I might try the unflavored protein that MM suggested :-?

Hang in there ;)

Trina, If you bought the big tub you can get youre money back if you got it a the GNC store. When I started this whole journey I bougth the small bags, and the flavors I didnt like I returned. I love the chocalate caremel flavor so thats what I have for breakfast in the morning with fat free milk and 1 1/2 scoop. I also add my Benefiber in it. hope this helps you.

Be caeful. Did anybody at GNC tell you not to take to much protien at one time. Your body can only break down and use something like 18-20 grams of protien at a time. So over that is a waste unless you are one of those power body builders in which case they burn the protien faster. Dr. Miranda told me there that americans eat to much protien. Yes, we are supose to eat it first but you only need about 60 grams a day. She said most of us get that in our food. You can always call her and she would help you with how much you need at your weight. She just said not to go crazy with the protien.

Thanks Trina, I too was going to go out and buy some. I have read that some have used it, I think Lisal. I wonder how she tolerated it? Anyway thanks for the tip. I'll just stick to the flavored stuff I guess. And Dawn is right. I also think some of the people here are also right. Protein can be used(like the Atkins diet theory) to help lose weight faster if used correctly. Yes it can bulk you up if used incorrectly. I believe for me that getting about 60 grams per day for the most days and then when I get to a plateau I bump it up a little to somehow help my body work better and it will help break the plateau, or at least that's what I remember. Havn't gotten to that point yet where I am relying on protein additives because I am able to eat enough, maybe after my fill tomorrow it will be different. You know if you are concerned or have any burning questions to just call Dr. Miranda and she'll be happy to clarify this for you.

Take care honey :girl_wink:

I agree! It is gagging me no matter what I put it in. Yuck..I am dreading having some this morning.

I agree! It is gagging me no matter what I put it in. Yuck..I am dreading having some this morning.

OMG Kimmy I LOVE your little Daisy doggie. She is too cute. I do miss your cute face with the before pic compared to now.

So that's 2 now that gag on the unflavored protein of some type. HHHHUUUUMMMM, what to expect?

I love Isopure, but I drink the Dutch chocolate - and remember there are many different forms of protein - some you can take more of (grams) some less, some will make you bulk up and some don't. GNC will not tell you to take just 20 grams per serving - they are the ones selling the higher doses as well including Isopure. (And they are individually owned stores - who knows who is manning the counters, ask to see if they have a nutritionist or a dietitian in house to assist with your questions)

With my meals, I did stick to the rules and ate 3 meals per day; the max of protein I ate was 1/4 cup per meal - now you do the calculations..... I was not hitting 60 grams of protein, not even coming close with my meals (and I'm still not). I was a big person and had added working out to my schedule, (like Kim is doing) so I added Isopure based on the type of protein it was, whey protein isolate. Its like vitamins, I know that realistically I should eat my vitamins - not take them - however due to my diet I'm not getting enough in so I take the extra vitamins I need to live a healthy lifestyle. The most important thing I looked at when I was doing my research - I looked to the person on this board that was succeeding because believe it or not - many do not. I followed her advice – and it worked for me.

(Also, many not all Americans eat too much protein in our diets; I hate those types of statements).

Trina,

I agree with the ISOPURE and BOOST high Protein. The boost is what I was recommending to everyone in the beginning...like I was an independent contractor and was gonna make money off of it or something! ;-) It is 15grams of Protein. The Packet that Dr. Miranda and Dr. Ortiz gave me said to try and drink 30 grams of protien a day during the liquid phase, so two shakes and you are set! The Chocolate kind is the best...butter pecan was second best.

I really may think about bringing that one back.. I was wanting to add it to my soups and things so I can get more protein in. I am gaining and I have no clue why... Friday is my first day back on solids and I SOOO cant wait! I am trying to think what I am going to have! Hopefully when I get to solids I wont need this yucky protein stuff anymore. But who knows.

I love Isopure, but I drink the Dutch chocolate - and remember there are many different forms of protein - some you can take more of (grams) some less, some will make you bulk up and some don't. GNC will not tell you to take just 20 grams per serving - they are the ones selling the higher doses as well including Isopure. (And they are individually owned stores - who knows who is manning the counters, ask to see if they have a nutritionist or a dietitian in house to assist with your questions)

With my meals, I did stick to the rules and ate 3 meals per day; the max of protein I ate was 1/4 cup per meal - now you do the calculations..... I was not hitting 60 grams of protein, not even coming close with my meals (and I'm still not). I was a big person and had added working out to my schedule, (like Kim is doing) so I added Isopure based on the type of protein it was, whey protein isolate. Its like vitamins, I know that realistically I should eat my vitamins - not take them - however due to my diet I'm not getting enough in so I take the extra vitamins I need to live a healthy lifestyle. The most important thing I looked at when I was doing my research - I looked to the person on this board that was succeeding because believe it or not - many do not. I followed her advice – and it worked for me.

(Also, many not all Americans eat too much protein in our diets; I hate those types of statements).

Lisa,

I completely agree with you. I had my surgery at the Mayo Clinic and my dietician there stressed good protein supplements like Isopure. Also, she said your protein requirements are based on your weight of where you are now... With that said, I struggle getting my required protein with the little amounts of food I am eating, as well. I supplement my protein with the Isopure Melon Apple drinks, as well as the fruit punch protein bullets. The protein bullets I put in fruit punch krystal lite and you can't taste a thing. I buy the 42 gram bullets and drink 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. Same goes for the Isopure drinks. They are pricey, but I figure I used to spend a lot on eating out, drinking starbucks, running through fast food, etc., it offsets it somehow. I too take a daily multi-vitamin and biotin as well. I work out daily and have done so since January, and I think that has made a huge difference in my success. Prior to January, when I was just dieting I lost like 6 pounds. When January hit and I started going to the gym 5 days a week rotating cardio and strength training is when the pounds started coming off like clockwork.

The moral of the story is everyone is different, but once you find a pattern that works for you stick with it. For me, it is having 70 - 75 grams of good, high quality protein; as much from my diet as possible the rest from supplementing. Exercising every single day even if it is just for 30 minutes and watching my sugar and fat content in foods.

Trina - If you are willing to try one more thing, go to GNC and get the little protein bullets. They will know what you are talking about. If you like fruity drinks, like fruit punch, buy one and put 1/2 of it into a glass (I chill them first in the refrigerator). Then poor the rest of the class up with fruit punch krystal lite or some other sugar free fruit punch drink. I bet you won't taste a thing and with 21 grams of protein for 1/2 a bullet, it is a great way to supplement. They are like $3 dollars, but I have 1 a day and that isn't anywhere near what I used to spend on discretionary spending every day. :) I think they have other flavors too, so if you try one of the other flavors let me know. When I found these and actually liked them, I stuck with it...

Good luck! :)

I like to use the 100% Whey Protein (vanilla or chocolate flavored) stirred into my coffee instead of creamer in my coffee in the morning. That way I get some of my protein in and save on my creamer. It isn't "perfect" but it works well for me. Or I mix some of the vanilla flavored mix with flavored yogurt and it is like a creamy cheesecake flavor....use your imagination, okay? I just buy my protien at Walmart....cheaper!

Gotta love EAS Whey Protein powder, available at Sam's, Target, etc. I stir a scoop of the chocolate in with my morning coffee and have mocha for breakfast. This works for me because I am not a breakfast eater. It is 23g of protein per scoop. It is so good that my nieces will drink "chocolate milk" made with it. Since we are supposed to be getting 2 low fat milk servings a day, I use this at least once a day in coffee or milk.

I also like the South Beach Meal Replacement Bars...they have around 20 or so grams of protein, and they basically taste like rice krispie treats with a chocolate, peanut butter, whatever kind of base. I usually can only eat 1/2 of these before I start getting that "golf ball" feeling.

Lisa~

I believe you saved me! Just two days of me getting my protein in right and I was down 2 lbs this morning! Amazing! I love it!!

It sure is nasty, but I can stand it if it will keep me out of this plateau.

I bought another type of protein today at WalMart. (It was $15 compared to Isopure at $70) and has the same amount of protein and only 4 carbs and 3 sugars.

I got the vanilla kind to mix in my coffee. It seems like hot beverages take some of the nastiness out of the flavor. :wacko:

Oh and the question of the day is, "WHY CAN'T THEY PUT PROTEIN IN PILL FORM??" It would make my life so much easier.

Julie~I will add the pics back soon. I just got tired of looking at them. LOL

Lisa~

I believe you saved me! Just two days of me getting my protein in right and I was down 2 lbs this morning! Amazing! I love it!!

It sure is nasty, but I can stand it if it will keep me out of this plateau.

I bought another type of protein today at WalMart. (It was $15 compared to Isopure at $70) and has the same amount of protein and only 4 carbs and 3 sugars.

I got the vanilla kind to mix in my coffee. It seems like hot beverages take some of the nastiness out of the flavor. :wacko:

Oh and the question of the day is, "WHY CAN'T THEY PUT PROTEIN IN PILL FORM??" It would make my life so much easier.

Julie~I will add the pics back soon. I just got tired of looking at them. LOL

Good for you Kim! I know you were getting really discouraged with the plateau. :) I am proud of you!!!

Jacque~

There is a protein calculator that Lisa posted in one of the protein threads.

Ok, so I bought theIDS Sports New-Whey 42â„¢ Liquid Protein - Grape flavor. Here are the ingredients. It was wonderful, and oh my god it totally filled me up. Was it suppose to do that? But they are easy to take, only get the grape or fruit punch flavor per the GNC guy.

Calories 176.00

Calories from Fat 0.00

Total Fat 0.00 g 0%

Saturated Fat 0.00 0%

Cholesterol 0.00 g 0%

Sodium 64.00 mg 3%

Potassium 31.00 mg 1%

Total Carbohydrate 2.00 g 1%

Dietary Fiber 0.00 g 0%

Sugars 0.00 g

Protein 42.00 g 84%

Liquidprotein.jpg