Need encouragement and advice

Okay, I am new to this forum but I need someone to vent my concerns to and nned a little help get myself on track. Here is the scoop:

I was banded on April 1st and have since lost 68 pounds, which is great but I have yet to have a fill. At first I was freaked out about the fill and delayed it awhile, then when I decided to go ahead I lost lost my job and insurance (cannot afford the cobra coverage). Since then I have fallen off the wagon, eating things I know I should not be eating, not exercising, just really down in the dumps. Now, of course I cannot eat the way I used to but I am still screwing this up. I have no idea what it will cost for the fill to pay it out of my pocket.

Also, I am having some issues that concern me. I am having the BP's, they suck but no biggie, burping, hiccups all that, but I am having a lot of trouble swallowing. It seems like everything gets stuck. Is that normal? Also, am I supposed to be able to feel this band in there? Sometimes I can. It is not extremely painful or anything, just a soreness inside that makes me freakout like maybe the band is erroding or it has slipped or I've stretched that pouch out. I just don't know, anyone else with this issue?

And what should I do about the fill? I know that if I can get back on track and eat the way I am supposed to and exercise I will still be losing weight, even without the fill. Should I get back on track and wait or pull the money out of my savings and go ahead with it? I just don't know. Please just give me some advice here. Thanks!

I'm too new, I haven't yet had a fill either. Since I'm self pay and have had to find the way forward with Drs who will take me, I can tell you that you can do it, too.

You need to find a Dr in NC, SC or GA (depending where in NC you are) that will take you with fluoro, save up $250 and go.

If everything is getting stuck, then your health is at risk.

Good luck finding a new job. Losing the old one sucks, no question. Going forward without band insurance isn't the end of the world.

You were brave enough to get banded. You jumped thru the hoops. You lost over 50 pounds. You're also brave enough to find a way forward.

Okay, I am new to this forum but I need someone to vent my concerns to and nned a little help get myself on track. Here is the scoop:

I was banded on April 1st and have since lost 68 pounds, which is great but I have yet to have a fill. At first I was freaked out about the fill and delayed it awhile, then when I decided to go ahead I lost lost my job and insurance (cannot afford the cobra coverage). Since then I have fallen off the wagon, eating things I know I should not be eating, not exercising, just really down in the dumps. Now, of course I cannot eat the way I used to but I am still screwing this up. I have no idea what it will cost for the fill to pay it out of my pocket.

Also, I am having some issues that concern me. I am having the BP's, they suck but no biggie, burping, hiccups all that, but I am having a lot of trouble swallowing. It seems like everything gets stuck. Is that normal? Also, am I supposed to be able to feel this band in there? Sometimes I can. It is not extremely painful or anything, just a soreness inside that makes me freakout like maybe the band is erroding or it has slipped or I've stretched that pouch out. I just don't know, anyone else with this issue?

And what should I do about the fill? I know that if I can get back on track and eat the way I am supposed to and exercise I will still be losing weight, even without the fill. Should I get back on track and wait or pull the money out of my savings and go ahead with it? I just don't know. Please just give me some advice here. Thanks!

Cheryl, Bless you heart! First, where were you banded? I am guessing you were banded in the states since you filed it on your insurance. You should call the doctor that banded you. Find out how much a fill is there. A lot of times the fills for the first year are included in the price of surgery and if your insurance has already paid that then you should go there for fills. That is if you need one. As far as everything feeling like it is getting stuck, that would concern me. You need to schedule a follow up with your physician and let him/her look at everything under fluoro to make sure the band is in place. If you are able to eat and drink though I would seriously doubt it has slipped.

Back to the fills. If your physician does not give free fills in the first year, find out how much they are. You can always call other physicians and get other price options. There is also a company called Fill Centers USA (www.fillcentersusa.com) that specializes in fills only. Their initial visit is $349 (not including fluoro). Each center charges different prices for fluoro and some do not charge at all. I paid $200 for fluoro in Roswell which made my first fill $549. This company is always an option if you cannot find another physician to accept you as a patient.

But I am willing to bet that the physician that did your surgery is going to be your best bet. Just call and speak to someone in billing/management and tell them your situation and see what they can work out.

Please keep us posted.

Hi Cheryl,

First of all you have done fantastic with your weight loss, 68 lbs is amazing. I was banded on June 10th and still have restriction as well. Sometimes the band does it on it's own for awhile. I have had episodes of food getting a little stuck too...chew well.

Are you feeling that you need a fill now? Try to follow the guidelines, protein, veggies, grains, fruit and have a treat once awhile.

You are doing so great, keep it up, it's worth it!!!

Cathy

The way you describe your "pbing" it sounds like you need to have your Dr. check it out. This isnt normal without even a first fill and so many months out from surgery. I urge you to get to your Dr. asap. With this stuff going on the last thing yo need is a fill. I think you should go on liquids for a few days to try and calm your tummy down a little especially if you can't see the Dr. for a few days as it's the weekend. Yes it will be tough but your health depends on it. You have had such great weight loss without a fill already. Please try the liquids for a few days to help know if things will calm down on liquids alone. then gradually add it soft mushy food and chew it well.

Keep us posted.

Currently I am a little restricted. For whatever reason the surgeon did leave a small amount of fluid in the band during the surgery. I just feel like it is time to move forward. My surgeon charges $400 just for an office visit, I am assuming the fills would be that much or more. Being currently unemplyed that is a lot of money to take out of my savings for this.

Currently I am a little restricted. For whatever reason the surgeon did leave a small amount of fluid in the band during the surgery. I just feel like it is time to move forward. My surgeon charges $400 just for an office visit, I am assuming the fills would be that much or more. Being currently unemplyed that is a lot of money to take out of my savings for this.

Well, a couple of things here.

You say that you're not eating like you know you're supposed to be eating. That alone may be what's causing your PBing--if you feel like everything's getting stuck, the first thing I'd look at is exactly what are you eating? No matter what, get back on the diet, hon. That alone may help you to pass things better, you'll start to feel better, and likely regain some confidence in what you've got going on. If, after a few days on the proper diet (or even switch back to mushy foods or full liquids for a few days to "restart" your program), you're still having issues swallowing & getting things down, then you really have no choice but to take the cash out & see the doctor. The alternative is potentially damaging yourself into an expensive hospital stay, and if $400 for an office visit is tough, imagine what a $12,000 overnight stay in a hospital is going to do!

You've done great so far, so you know you have the guts to stick with something like this! Don't let a temporary financial setback put your healthy future at risk! Good luck!

Hi Cherb,

Where are you in NC? I know there is a fill center in Charlotte. I am 3 hrs from Charlotte myself. First of all, I was only banded on July 3, so I can't give advice on what you are feeling. However, If you are anywhere nearby me, we should talk, because I am a Career Development Facilitator/ Counselor with the NC School system and I have access to many job postings with an inside track. If we can get you employed, then maybe your stomach would settle down enough to eat without problems. I know when I'm stressed, I have terrible reflux (pre band). Then, if you had insurance again, you wouldn't feel so panicky!! You were smart enough to make the decision and committment to get this band, so I trust your judgement on knowing when it has become an urgency on seeing a doctor, money, or no money!!! I am a single mother, and I know that dilema well, "are we sick enough to go to the doctor yet".

Please respond, I'd love to help if I can. Best of luck!! Hope you're feeling better.

Angie