Question about Water.

I find that when I drink alot of water, at least one hour after a meal, I feel extremely full.

I am assuming that the water is going through my pouch into my larger stomach area....is this correct?

If I still have food in my pouch and start drinking lots of water, can it stretch the pouch?

Even when I feel full, I keep drinking, is this wrong?

Thanks Cathy

No, liquid won't stretch out your pouch. Drink however much you want.

I actually find that a big glass of water before bed helps wash out any remaining food in my stomach from the day and makes for a more comfortable night and less irritation in the morning.

Thanks Clynn,

So feeling really full after drinking tons of water, is not doing anything bad?

I'm glad, I get really thirsty about an hour after eating...and I am avoiding salt at all costs!

I guess it's the humity here....have a great weekend!

Cathy

I find that when I drink alot of water, at least one hour after a meal, I feel extremely full.

I am assuming that the water is going through my pouch into my larger stomach area....is this correct?

If I still have food in my pouch and start drinking lots of water, can it stretch the pouch?

Even when I feel full, I keep drinking, is this wrong?

Thanks Cathy

Drinking lots of water an hour after you've finished eating is probably a really good idea. There likely isn't much food in your pouch; at that point, it's probably all gone through. Drinking the water wouldn't stretch the pouch if there was food in it though, it would simply help wash the food through to the larger stomach, which is what we don't want! But the schedule you've got going on there seems fine! And you want to drink a lot of water too, as it helps in weight loss by flushing out everything you're losing! :)

Thanks Bragman, that's good to know....I have been a bit concerned. I drink alot of ice water at night about 2-3 bottles from 7-10 and feel extremely full, so much so it hurts and I just didn't want to jeaopardize anything. I have only been banded for 5 1/2 weeks.

Have a good one!

Cathy

The idea of the pouch is to keep us full longer, and it takes longer to digest, especially proteins. Are you sure that the pouch empty's after 1 hour? If it did, wouldn't we be hungry again? Just a thought?

The idea of the pouch is to keep us full longer, and it takes longer to digest, especially proteins. Are you sure that the pouch empty's after 1 hour? If it did, wouldn't we be hungry again? Just a thought?

Kind of makes sense but if we used that logic we wouldn't drink for 3-4 hours after meals. Interesting point.

That's what I thought...but my surgeon told me to wait an hour and then drink...I think that's the standard. I drink like crazy between meals and feel really full, water logged and seem to feel full for several hours from eating. My surgeon also told me I could have a snack between meals if I need to. Which may be a different philosophy than the OCC.

I just didn't want the water to stretch anything...for the first few weeks I struggled to sip enough water, now I can chug it and I do.

Cathy

I think you drinking the water 1 hour after as instructed is just fine. It's actually great you get so much in. I have to cut my water off about 2-3 hours before bedtime or I'm up all night peeing!! Maybe a few sips but no big glasses full.

I used to be like that too...,but since being banded and drinking only water, I chug at least two bottles during the evening and thought I would be up all night in the bathroom, but I'm not, I guess my body needs it, or I am dead tired??

thanks Julie!

Cathy