CRAP, my computer is down!!

But probably won't be back for a while now. BOOHOO. I don't know whats wrong with it, but when I turn it on, all I hear is the fan inside. A phone call to a computer geek said it was probably the mother board or the internal power source. I've had more problems with my SO CALLED WONDERFUL DELL, I am mad. Can't take it in til monday, so I probably won't be back until I go into work.

Julie - glad you are back. I mailed the jeans!

Bobbi, I mailed your package too.

I'll have to get some pics of my sisters clothes. Her camera is broke but I should see her tomorrow and will take my camera with me. Course, it may be a few days til I can post them with my broke computer.

LOL... I thought for a minute you had named your computer.

My computer is HAL-9000, and it is named after the famous computer of sci-fi fame. I was going to ask you how your computer, CRAP, got it's name.

Yeah that sounds like the motherboard. Anything else would give you some sort of error message on the screen. Is your Dell still under warranty? I've had good response with them coming out and replacing the motherboard for a machine that was still covered by warranty. Otherwise you're SOL and will need to replace the motherboard. If you can get a new one straight across it shouldn't be too expensive - unless you have to pay for labor then it depends on your shop. Last time I replaced a motherboard it took me about two hours.

Yeah that sounds like the motherboard. Anything else would give you some sort of error message on the screen. Is your Dell still under warranty? I've had good response with them coming out and replacing the motherboard for a machine that was still covered by warranty. Otherwise you're SOL and will need to replace the motherboard. If you can get a new one straight across it shouldn't be too expensive - unless you have to pay for labor then it depends on your shop. Last time I replaced a motherboard it took me about two hours.

If I do need a new motherboard, will that mean I lost everything in my computer?

I've tried to call DELL and sit on hold for hours. Last time I had a problem, I spent a total of 16, yes 16 hours on the phone with them. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

LOL... I thought for a minute you had named your computer.

My computer is HAL-9000, and it is named after the famous computer of sci-fi fame. I was going to ask you how your computer, CRAP, got it's name.

Well, Will, she is on team CRAPtastic!

My Dell did the same thing Mona and I was able to get through to them. It died within days of my warranty! They sent out a shipping box the next day, I put my computer in it and sealed it up and gave it back to the driver (they included the mailing label) and sent it back with the delivery guy. That was a Tuesday and it was in my hands on Thursday!

I used the online support to report the problem. Have you tried that route?

If I do need a new motherboard, will that mean I lost everything in my computer?

I've tried to call DELL and sit on hold for hours. Last time I had a problem, I spent a total of 16, yes 16 hours on the phone with them. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Your data is stored on your hard drive which in all likeliness is unaffected unless your computer got hit with a power surge and that's the reason the motherboard got fried. If it was a surge then all bets are off, those things are nasty. Any thunderstorms in your area when it died?