Splenda

Do you like Splenda? My whole family loves it and I just can't stand the taste of it! I am an old fashioned sweet-n-low kind of gal.

I only put it in my tea and coffee to I hope I wouldn't get enough to poison me! ;)

No. SweetNLow is old fashioned saccharin.

They've tried and tried and tried to villify it, but found that it's harmless.

There's too much tripe mixed in with the truth about Nutrasweet. More urban legend than fact. It isn't a poison. It won't perm your hair, blind frogs, etc

I'M JUST A GOOD OLD SUGAR GIRL HERE, I HATE THE "CHEMICAL" TASTE OF THE ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS

"Most nutritionists agree that you'll end up healthier and more satisfied eating a few squares of chocolate after lunch than feasting on artificially sweetened foods all day. And when you face your morning coffee, remember that sugar delivers just 15 calories per tablespoon — which you can burn by sleeping for 13 minutes."

Ladies is Sweet and Low made with nutrasweet?. It is a poison and they have done many studies on how it is really messing with people including causing weight gain

Sweet and low (pink packet) is saccarine based.

Equal is Nutrasweet = that chemical that is so bad for you.

Splenda is an altered sugar that tastes like sugar .

We are spenda people at my house. :)

I remember this passage about Splenda from the "Skinny Bitch" book:

"Because we're having so much fun, let's bash the s$#& out of Splenda, one of the newer sweetners. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar, changing its molecular structure. The finished product is called sucralose. The makers of this poison tout its lack of calories and claim it's safe for diabetics. The FDA calls sucralose 98 percent pure. The other 2 percent contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. Well, gee, at least it doesn't have calories. So what if it has a little arsenic? Sucralose has been found to cause diarrhea; organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage; swelling of the liver and kidneys; and a decrease in fetal body weight. What a splendid product! According to Dr. Joseph Mercola in Consumer Research magazine's article 'The Potential Dangers of Sucralose,' 'There is no clear-cut evidence that sugar substitutes are useful in weight reduction. On the contrary, there is some evidence that these substances may stimulate appetite.'"

I remember this passage about Splenda from the "Skinny Bitch" book:

"Because we're having so much fun, let's bash the s$#& out of Splenda, one of the newer sweetners. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar, changing its molecular structure. The finished product is called sucralose. The makers of this poison tout its lack of calories and claim it's safe for diabetics. The FDA calls sucralose 98 percent pure. The other 2 percent contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol, and arsenic. Well, gee, at least it doesn't have calories. So what if it has a little arsenic? Sucralose has been found to cause diarrhea; organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage; swelling of the liver and kidneys; and a decrease in fetal body weight. What a splendid product! According to Dr. Joseph Mercola in Consumer Research magazine's article 'The Potential Dangers of Sucralose,' 'There is no clear-cut evidence that sugar substitutes are useful in weight reduction. On the contrary, there is some evidence that these substances may stimulate appetite.'"

:o , is Equal or Sweet n Low any better for you?

I guess since we're on the subject of all of these dangerous food additives that the FDA is being paid off to approve, Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) should be mentioned.

see the official web site for the full story http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

some excerpts:

What are some uses of Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Despite the known dangers of DHMO, it continues to be used daily by industry, government, and even in private homes across the U.S. and worldwide. Some of the well-known uses of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

# as an industrial solvent and coolant,

# in nuclear power plants,

# by elite athletes to improve performance,

# in the production of Styrofoam,

# in the development of genetically engineering crops and animals,

# as a spray-on fire suppressant and retardant,

What you may find surprising are some of the products and places where DHMO is used, but which for one reason or another, are not normally made part of public presentations on the dangers to the lives of our family members and friends. Among these startling uses are:

* as an additive to food products, including jarred baby food and baby formula, and even in many soups, carbonated beverages and supposedly "all-natural" fruit juices

* in cough medicines and other liquid pharmaceuticals,

# as a preservative in grocery store fresh produce sections,

# in the production of beer by all the major beer distributors,

# in the coffee available at major coffee houses in the US and abroad

Most important of all;

What are some of the dangers associated with DHMO?

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

* Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.

* Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.

* Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.

* DHMO is a major component of acid rain.

* Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.

* Contributes to soil erosion.

* Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.

* Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.

* Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.

* Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.

* Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.

* Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.

* Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Anyone out there get my point? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I bought the splenda pill pack to carry in my purse too, but it takes about 8 to get a tea sweetened the way I like it ;)

I only like Splenda. I bought the new little pill pack to put in my purse because I found that some places do not carry it. I hate Sweet N Low, to me there is a weird taste to it. :P

I have been using Stevia as a sweetner for my tea and plain yogurt. It is a very healthy natural herb; I like the concentrated version; others have maltodextrin added to bulk it. I still also eat sweets tho with straight sugar which is a very addictive substance. Read "Sugar Blues", the number one addiction. It is so hard to get away from. My naturopath who did my first fill describes the imbalance people have with sugar imbalances as being susceptable to alcohol and or sugar addictions. One person I met told me the difference between nutrasweet and sweet n low is one causes cancer and the other, alzeimers. So, we have a tough battle girls, anyway we look at it in trying to get slim and stay healthy. I've always believed that the less processed food is and eaten in it's most natural state, the healthier it is. The additives and preservatives are not good, adding free radicals etc. That being said, Hey, I love a Big Mac too! lol thanks for listening, Sufina

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Stevia is the "herb" to switch too..healthy and very sweet.....I have been using it for about 18 months...it's getting expensive since it's becoming popular...(and since coca cola decided to use it!) I buy mine through website at iherb.com

Studies have shown that stevia extract effectively regulates blood sugar.

Stevia Rebaudiana is an herb in the Chrysanthemum family which grows wild as a small shrub in parts of Paraguay and Brazil. The glycosides in its leaves, including up to 10% Stevioside, account for its incredible sweetness, making it unique among the nearly 300 species of Stevia plant