A question about the sun and our scars...

I have a question for you guys that get in the pool/sun. How long are you waiting until you get some sun on your scars? I know it says a year or so but I also know that not everyone follows all the rules. :P

I went to the tanning bed a couple of weeks ago, I was probably 2 1/2 weeks post op and I bought some really good band aids and put then on my tummy over my scars and now I have 5 band aid tan lines! LOL! Just want to be able to enjoy the summer and get some sun with out stressing about my scars turning this bright red... So what do you guys do to keep that from happening?

Where did you read no sun for a year? I don't recall that guideline anywhere. That actually seems counter productive as your body produces vitamin D when you get moderate exposure to sunlight.

I had a mole on my knee removed two years ago. Dermatologist didn't think to tell me to keep sunscreen on it.

It's now a dark spot. No biggie.

Dr. O noticed it and told me that those of us who tan well (olive skinned here) need to keep the scars covered. I can put SPF 45 on it, but don't know how to keep them sun free while letting the rest of the skin in the general area brown up a bit. I'd have Bullseyes B)

For me, they wouldn't turn bright red, they'd just be brown scratch lines for a few years. They'd tan darker than the rest of my skin.

Dr. O said he was a PS resident. Looks like he tans well, too :wub: I can wear tankinis for a year and brown up next year.

I believe that is why my tummy tuck scar was so brown, No one told me to stay out of the sun, and I was

using tanning beds regularly without sunscreen.. I just put 30 or 45 on my scars now, but I still tan in the sun.

I refuse to cover my belly, so I guess I will pay the price later. Mine are 9 weeks and are a little red and just

look like cat scratches.

I wear a tankini too. After about 6 weeks (normal healing time) I started tanning them. My incisions look really good.