post band queasy

bubs

Banded Monday and felt pretty good till Tuesday evening..I'm feeling worse...feel sick to my stomach all the time...not getting enough fluid in me...feel very week and the two times I tried broth it almost killed me...gut ripping belches. My scale says I've gained....not more than a hundred calories a day since Sunday and gained 8 pounds...think I'll shoot the scale. It's 70 degrees in my house and I'm freezing. I need to keep fluids down...any ideas? I know I'm getting dehydrated.

Pam

That is totally normal...try to get as much fluids in as you can, anytime of day. Don't worry about only eating three meals, drink broth, water, eat jello and popcicles as much as you can. No calorie counting during healing. The gas is normal as well.

The scale is reflecting water retention and swelling from surgery...I gained 7 lbs...lost it in a few days.

Until you are past your post-op diet, which is the healing time...get as much fluids in as you can...calorie counting comes later!

Take care

Yeah it's kind of normal for some. You're body is also probably suffering from low blood sugar and you need calories. At this point get them through liquids. Use juices like grape and/or pineapple which are higher calories and sugar. Unless you are a diabetic of course. You MUST just sip, sip, sip ALL day on the gatorade at this point. Dehydration does feel awful so start working on this with whatever you can tolerate. All the things Cathy mentioned you should at least try to get to feeling better.

Keep us posted.

Yeah it's kind of normal for some. You're body is also probably suffering from low blood sugar and you need calories. At this point get them through liquids. Use juices like grape and/or pineapple which are higher calories and sugar. Unless you are a diabetic of course. You MUST just sip, sip, sip ALL day on the gatorade at this point. Dehydration does feel awful so start working on this with whatever you can tolerate. All the things Cathy mentioned you should at least try to get to feeling better.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for advice and support...at 63 I'm to old to be whining like this....it's just that I can deal with pain...have been for over 20 years but nausea gets me every time. In 6 hours I've managed to keep down 12 ounces of Gatorade/water combo and a popsicle...then I realized it was a sugar free fruit popsicle and not a flavored sugar water type ....is this a no no because it's made from fruit puree? Good news is I am not or even close to being diabetic. My neighbor just went to the store and bought the recommended juices...will try some cut with water next. Thank you all so much....you are the reason I did this and I can't begin to think of how I would get through this without all your support. Hopefully when I feel better I will be able to do the same for others.

Pam

That is totally normal...try to get as much fluids in as you can, anytime of day. Don't worry about only eating three meals, drink broth, water, eat jello and popcicles as much as you can. No calorie counting during healing. The gas is normal as well.

The scale is reflecting water retention and swelling from surgery...I gained 7 lbs...lost it in a few days.

Until you are past your post-op diet, which is the healing time...get as much fluids in as you can...calorie counting comes later!

Take care

Thanks so much....my neighbor just went for juice for me. I just posted how much everyone's help and support has meant to me...I couldn't of done it without this group. Bless you all.

Pam

Thanks for advice and support...at 63 I'm to old to be whining like this....it's just that I can deal with pain...have been for over 20 years but nausea gets me every time. In 6 hours I've managed to keep down 12 ounces of Gatorade/water combo and a popsicle...then I realized it was a sugar free fruit popsicle and not a flavored sugar water type ....is this a no no because it's made from fruit puree? Good news is I am not or even close to being diabetic. My neighbor just went to the store and bought the recommended juices...will try some cut with water next. Thank you all so much....you are the reason I did this and I can't begin to think of how I would get through this without all your support. Hopefully when I feel better I will be able to do the same for others.

Pam

You're never too old to get healthy. Stay away from the fruit pops until you can have solids. Keep going on the gatorade and especially the juices too. You don't have to cut them with water if you're not a diabetic and it sounds like you need the calories at this point. Hope you feel better soon, you will!!

((( BIG HUG ))) I'm in the same boat Pam, you're not alone.

I've made some homemade chicken stock which seems to be doing well. Gatorade has lost it's appeal too already, but Im still forcing it down. I find slushees and popsicles easy to eat. This is day 3 Pam, we can do it!!! :)

take care,

So sorry you are all feeling poorly gals, but it will get better, I promise!

Do not worry about calories or weight at this time. You absolutely MUST get fluid in you somehow. Some people do better with warm liquids so try that if the cold is not helping. Dehydration makes your whole body feel awful and if you don't get some fluid in you, you won't feel better. Gatorade is best, although I hate that myself. But try diluted apple juice too. Anything that will work at this point give it a try.

I had horrible vomitting because of dehydration and you don't want that, so get sipping!!!

And feel better and please let us knmow how you do overnight, ok? Both of you gals!!

Thanks for the idea...I just made some hot herbal peach tea and will add a little honey to it. So far today 24 ounces (3 glasses) water/juice & water/Gatorade and 2 Popsicles. That's in 12 hours...how much more should I try for? I'll be up about 4 more hours.

Pam

peppermint tea with some sugar was my best friend for the first couple of days until the gas and bloating subsided. its very soothing and a great anti-nausea :D

Why didn't I think of that...I used to give it to my kids...and ginger worked also. Thanks for the reminder....my mind doesn't work when I'm sick...just when the kids or grandkids are.

Pam

Thanks for the idea...I just made some hot herbal peach tea and will add a little honey to it. So far today 24 ounces (3 glasses) water/juice & water/Gatorade and 2 Popsicles. That's in 12 hours...how much more should I try for? I'll be up about 4 more hours.

Pam

Much much more!

So sorry you are all feeling poorly gals, but it will get better, I promise!

Do not worry about calories or weight at this time. You absolutely MUST get fluid in you somehow. Some people do better with warm liquids so try that if the cold is not helping. Dehydration makes your whole body feel awful and if you don't get some fluid in you, you won't feel better. Gatorade is best, although I hate that myself. But try diluted apple juice too. Anything that will work at this point give it a try.

I had horrible vomitting because of dehydration and you don't want that, so get sipping!!!

And feel better and please let us kn mow how you do overnight, ok? Both of you gals!!

Hi, I am feeling better today...still not getting enough fluids in but more than yesterday I hope. Even was able to go for a walk around the block and will take another one later. Right now I am drinking a vitamin+fiber water that has lots of calories because I wasn't even getting a hundred a day for the last 4. No wonder I was weak. Do you know if the liquid yogurt 4 ounces is total per day? I want to have some later today. I also emailed Dr M about skim milk...it isn't mentioned at all. Thanks for caring and the support from everyone.

Pam