Can you feel the ring around your stomach?

I know I have heard that you can feel your port, but can you feel the apparatus inside of you and does this feeling ever go away?

Also, is there pain when you swallow right after surgery and how long does this pain last?

I said in my first post that I am terrified...just thinking of all of the questions I am wondering about..;)

Hi there, no you cannot feel the band. You may feel internal discomfort from your stomach and liver being moved during surgery, but it passes after a few days.

Swallowing is difficult after surgery because of intebation (tube down your throat during surgery), once you are permitted to drink a little water or suck on ice...it passes very quickly.

If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask!!

It's a really interesting feeling. I agree that I can't feel the band, but sometimes I can feel things pass through the band.

Honestly, I thought this process would be much worse than it's been. When I follow the rules, I have NO problems at all. It feels just like old times, except I eat MUCH less than I did. Now I will admit, and probably several others will concur, that when I get off the plan, I create a few issues like PBs (we're taught how to deal with them). But all in all, I would do it again without one moment's hesitation if I were placed back at the decision-making stage. I regret not knowing about this 10-15 years ago (but then again, the procedure didn't exist 10-15 years ago).

I don't remember any swallowing complications immediately after surgery. I had ice pops and chicken broth at the center, and everything went down fine.

Bill

I can't feel the band until I swallow something hot, something cold or something not well enough chewed. I could feel it after I first had surgery when the swelling was still there and I had to take very small sips (I believe it was the swelling I felt) not pain really but a little discomfort for the first 4-5 days. I didn't feel it at all from that point until I started on solids and then only for the first couple of days on solids until my 2nd fill. After my second fill is the first time (once I was recovered from initial few days) I could really tell I had a band at all. There were times I wondered if they forgot to put it in. I am going for my third fill today because while I can tell I have a band, there is little if nothing that doesn't easily pass through it right now. I was filled to 2.4 3 weeks ago and the restriction barely made it through the 2 day liquid phase so I am anticipating really experiencing what the band can do after this 3rd fill this afternoon.

Swallowing is difficult after surgery because of intebation (tube down your throat during surgery), once you are permitted to drink a little water or suck on ice...it passes very quickly.

If you get banded at the OCC they do NOT tube you. This is dependent on where you get your surgery. I had mine at the OCC and had no problems swallowing. Within 1/2 hour after surgery I was drinking juice and sucking on an ice pop. No problems. I also was up and walking and left the clinic about 4 hours after my surgery. I even changed my plane to go back the next day instead of staying another day. I am usually a wimp but it was an EASY procedure for me.