Calling Mr. WILLT

mona-camille

You mentioned once before about going to Gettysburg and staying in Maryland while you were there. Wondering if you can recommend a hotel. I am taking my mom and some other family for an overngiht visit there and need a good hotel. Well, a decent one anyway. We want to do one of the ghost tours and visit the battlefield and stay overnight. No-one wants to stay in a haunted hotel though. Any recommendations?

We stayed at the Frederick, Maryland Courtyard near the Francis Scott Key Mall. It was a 25 minutes (or so) drive to Gettysburg, and a pleasant one at that.

Take the bus tour, and if the weather is right, ride on the top. See the best places to stop at, then drive your car along the route. Then you can spend all the time you want to at a particular location. I spent a lot of time at the copse of trees, and Little Round Top, and at the different monuments of interest. General Joshua Chamberlain and General Lew Armistead are heroes of mine from the event.

I traced several SC and NC units to their locations (with family ties to both states) and followed the progression of the days. I advise watching the movie "Gettysburg" and see the story. I spent a long time at the memorial with the statue of Robert E. Lee (being from the south) which is at the location of the start of Pickett's charge. To think that 15,000 men could stand shoulder to shoulder, and march straight forward into the Union best, firing at will... it shows incredible courage.

The first of the two movies (though it was released afterwards) is "Gods and Generals". When my mom found a lost great-great grandfather's burial spot (he died in an early civil war battle), Gods and Generals was on hiatus, and several reenacting groups came over for the service at the old Confederate cemetary. It was quite moving to see the Gray marching in with drums, battle flags, and men who looked like real soldiers.

Gods and Generals showed two major battles where my ancestors participated. It was a learning experience, and a humbling one.

Thank you very much for the info. I do think I will try to watch the movie first, that a great idea. Yes, the bus tour is on my list as is the ghost tour. My mom has been there several times and has her favorite spots, but I don't know what they are. We are only staying one day so I hope we can get a lot in.

THanks again!!!!

Glad I could help.

I do group presentations in two areas, one of course is Titanic (I'm approaching 400 presentations now) and Civil War Battles, one of which is Gettysburg. I incorporate the photos I take into the powerpoints, and show the areas of discussion as they look today. It's tough to do Gettysburg in one day, but start EARLY!

Most of the photos I take feature other people. Because of my self-consciousness, I seldom appear in any family pictures. I guess it's a by-product of being large. I think, when I'm down to my target weight, I will visit these places again, and this time, appear in some of the photos.

Have a great time, mona... when you're there, please give my regards to the Armistead point (where he died at the copse of trees) and the memorial at Little Round Top.