How do you tell mental hunger from real hunger?

bubs

I was banded on Monday 7/21 and now that I am no longer queasy or gassy my stomach is growling all the time. I've started on the liquid yogurt and it helps for about an hour then I'm hungry again. Is it going to be like this for the next few weeks? Will the cream soups help that I start in a few days? Everyone else post they aren't hungry and I'm starving. I was tempted to thin some mashed potatoes and drink them...but didn't. It wasn't on the list of things we should drink. Any ideas hoe to make the hunger go away and stay on track?

Pam

I also had a hard time with my stomach grulling a lot. I was fine for about the fist 10 days then I was hungry all the time. What I would is eat then I would stay active because if I just focused on when my next meal was I would go insane wanting to eat everything in sight. So by me keeping busy I was able to distingued the difference between head hunger and real hunger. Hope that helps.

I am a chronic snacker, especially in the evening. I found that if my stomach is not hungry (growling and tossing and turning) I am not hungry, but if it is I am.

I figure if my stomach is screaming at me "feed me" and you can literally hear it out loud....it's not head hunger!!

I was banded on Monday 7/21 and now that I am no longer queasy or gassy my stomach is growling all the time. I've started on the liquid yogurt and it helps for about an hour then I'm hungry again. Is it going to be like this for the next few weeks? Will the cream soups help that I start in a few days? Everyone else post they aren't hungry and I'm starving. I was tempted to thin some mashed potatoes and drink them...but didn't. It wasn't on the list of things we should drink. Any ideas hoe to make the hunger go away and stay on track?

Pam

During the liquid phase you are allowed to drink as much as you want. So, keep drinking until you are full. THe protein drinks really helped me a lot and are very filling.

During the liquid phase you are allowed to drink as much as you want. So, keep drinking until you are full. THe protein drinks really helped me a lot and are very filling.

Good morning, I started my protein drinks this morning and hopefully that will help. I also bought some fiber water. My stomach was growling so loud it was embarrassing but not as much as the belches were...at least they are a lot quieter now. LOL.

As usual....I get by with a little help from my forum friends.

Pam :rolleyes:

Good morning, I started my protein drinks this morning and hopefully that will help. I also bought some fiber water. My stomach was growling so loud it was embarrassing but not as much as the belches were...at least they are a lot quieter now. LOL.

As usual....I get by with a little help from my forum friends.

Pam :rolleyes:

Glad you got the protein drinks. My stomach started growling on day 2 really loudly and constantly. the funny thing was at that time I didn't "feel" hungry. My stomach seemed full. So I just let it growl. I also then had the growls and started to be so hungry I wanted to eat a horse and chase the rider, but of course didn't. I then just focused on keeping the liquids going. This phase is for healing, not weight loss, so one thing I did was take my protein shakes and freeze them, or blend them with ice to have a "shake". I also added benefiber to most my liquids to help keep me full.

You will get through this. Just focus on the goal and try not to eat what you shouldn't have too soon. The guilt is not worth it. I tried thinned mashed potatoes on the creamy soup phase, it was really just milk and mashed potatoes so thin I could have used a straw so I thought that was ok at that time.

Glad you got the protein drinks. My stomach started growling on day 2 really loudly and constantly. the funny thing was at that time I didn't "feel" hungry. My stomach seemed full. So I just let it growl. I also then had the growls and started to be so hungry I wanted to eat a horse and chase the rider, but of course didn't. I then just focused on keeping the liquids going. This phase is for healing, not weight loss, so one thing I did was take my protein shakes and freeze them, or blend them with ice to have a "shake". I also added benefiber to most my liquids to help keep me full.

You will get through this. Just focus on the goal and try not to eat what you shouldn't have too soon. The guilt is not worth it. I tried thinned mashed potatoes on the creamy soup phase, it was really just milk and mashed potatoes so thin I could have used a straw so I thought that was ok at that time.

Hi, I have chewable fiber I can try...I forgot about that...thanks for the reminder. I don't want to get to cocky...right now I haven't had a problem with either the yogurt or the protein drink which I did a no no and added skim milk to because I am not a big chocolate fan. Costco only had one flavor. No problem with the milk, either. I start cream soups tomorrow so that will help. Have you tried blending regular soup and drinking it? Is that considered OK?

Regarding your other post...they sell non prescription things for mood swings caused by PMS. I would try them first. I find some quiet me time always helped. Don't beat yourself up...your body has been through a lot in the last few months. Just tell yourself what I used to when I was dealing with 8 teenagers (mine & hubby's) this too shall pass....and it did. Now they have teenagers and I laugh alot! LOL

Pam

Hi Pam!

Glad to hear your coping :)

I'm going to start the liquid yogurt tomorrow. Do that 2 days hopefully, and then start the creamy soup stage.

I think my mental hunger kicks in sometimes, when I'm cooking dinner for my bf, and im looking through the fridge or the cupboards... and when I get bored, or am trying to procrastinate against doing something I'm supposed to (online course work :) )

It really was a habit. Watch a movie -- gotta have popcorn... friday night's - go out for dinner... sunday night is usually steak night?

I really love to cook, and find it's even hard to do that without "tasting" for proper seasoning. This band is asking for some definite lifestyle adjustments :)

Funny thing is - I don't really have a problem watching the Food Network. (I love that channel) -

ps.. My tummy has been making growly noises / gurgling lately too. But, I feed it a popsicle, and it seems happier then. :)

take care,

Hi Pam!

Glad to hear your coping :)

I'm going to start the liquid yogurt tomorrow. Do that 2 days hopefully, and then start the creamy soup stage.

I think my mental hunger kicks in sometimes, when I'm cooking dinner for my bf, and im looking through the fridge or the cupboards... and when I get bored, or am trying to procrastinate against doing something I'm supposed to (online course work :) )

It really was a habit. Watch a movie -- gotta have popcorn... friday night's - go out for dinner... sunday night is usually steak night?

I really love to cook, and find it's even hard to do that without "tasting" for proper seasoning. This band is asking for some definite lifestyle adjustments :)

Funny thing is - I don't really have a problem watching the Food Network. (I love that channel) -

ps.. My tummy has been making growly noises / gurgling lately too. But, I feed it a popsicle, and it seems happier then. :)

take care,

Hi shannon, not as bad today as yesterday...I think the protein shake helped a lot. I've been cooking for hubby since I got home and have company for dinner tonight. It is really hard to cook without tasting, really hard. I also love to cook and entertain friends and family. It's hard to watch hubby pick fruit off our trees and eat it...even though I did squeeze and strain a couple of our oranges and drank that mixed with my peach yogurt...fuzzy navel minus the alcohol, very good.

I have a friend I meet every week for dinner so we went to see Mama Mia today instead. I loved it all...even Pierce's singing.

I start cream soups tomorrow. We will make it and be eating our own cooking again soon...just less of it.

Pam