Anyone have Hair loss after banding?

I had a friend who had the gastric bypass and she lost weight very rapidly after her surgery. However, one of the side effects to her rapid weight loss was that she lost a lot of hair. She went from long thick hair to very short and VERY thin hair.

So not to sound vain here....but being over weight my whole life I have always felt like I was ugly. But I have always had great hair. I have a huge attachment to my hair because I have always felt like it was the only thing on my entire body that was beautiful. Feeling like everything else from well...the forehead down,was ugly.

I know I shouldn't call myself ugly, but as a teenager, people even said things to me like "well, at least you have pretty hair." So, I always just assumed that they meant that the rest of me was ugly.

So now, I am worried that with this surgery, my hair will fall out and get real thin like my friends did. Has anyone else had significant hair loss?

By the way, I have to say that this is such a wonderful group of people here. You guys are just amazing with the amount of love and support that you give to each to other and especially to us newbies awaiting surgery. I am just truly impressed with how much you all take the time to lift up others in need. Thanks to all of you.

Jessica

eventually I will post a picture and all my stats.

This is a common problem for gastric bypass people, but this should not be an issue with the band. Once you start solid foods, make sure you get enough protein in your diet. You can also take Biotin (this is good for strengthening hair and nails) if you are worried!

Why is this more common for gastric patients? Is it because of the rapid weight loss, or that they aren't getting proper nutrition due to the actual bypass of the intestine that limits absorbtion of of nutrients? Or both?

Jessica

Probably both. With the band, you won't lose as much right away as you would with bypass, but statistically after two years the weight loss is the same. You'll lose the weight gradually and in a healthier manner so you won't have as many nasty side effects such as hair loss.

Yes, you do have pretty hair, Your "Crown and Glory" should be just fine. Like everyone has said, keep up with protien and use biotien as a safety net. Gastrict bypass does not allow for total food and nutrition obsorbtion. The band does.

You will be thin, healthy and have beautiful hair.

My hair did fall out some when I wasn't getting enough protein. It wasn't so bad that I had to get it cut or anything though.

My hair is still falling out by the handfuls, I am taking Biotin now, washing my hair with Nioxin, doing whatever I can to help. My hairdresser told me not to worry to much, she herself has lost a lot of hair due to weight loss. When she got to her weight she is at now, she has gorgeous hair. She will keep my hair below the sholders, I will go in about every 6-8 weeks to get it trimmed. Nothing more I can do, hair loss or weight loss. I will take weight loss for now.

My hair is still falling out by the handfuls, I am taking Biotin now, washing my hair with Nioxin, doing whatever I can to help. My hairdresser told me not to worry to much, she herself has lost a lot of hair due to weight loss. When she got to her weight she is at now, she has gorgeous hair. She will keep my hair below the sholders, I will go in about every 6-8 weeks to get it trimmed. Nothing more I can do, hair loss or weight loss. I will take weight loss for now.

Did you cut your hair? I want to see a picture!!!!