Is this normal?

I was banded on Tuesday. Today I got home and stepped on the scale and I've gained 7 pounds since I was weighed at the OCC! How can that be? I've done nothing but pee for the last 48 hours! I am a bit bloated, but seriously! Did this happen to anyone else?

Oh my yes!

They put three bags of lactated ringers in at 3 pounds each. Then there's the swelling from the surgery that also holds fluid.

Your kidneys will eventually work thru it, but it might take a week.

Yes, this is totally normal...I gained 7 lbs from surgery too....by day 4 it was gone and then some. I have lost 25 lbs since my surgery 7 weeks ago.

Don't worry, be happy!! You are on your way to a lifestyle change and this is only the beginning!!!

How do you know about the weight of the ringers? YOu must have been at the OCC the same day I was I see. I'm trying to picture you . . . And three pounds! WOW! How am I going to lose this weight????

I was there about 10 in the morning wearing sandals, jean shorts and a black t-shirt -- utterly unmemorable ;-) I waited until about 11 for a fill. There was a husband and wife team, two people who had been banded (One named Nancy who got dental work) and AlainaD and her mom. My picture is on the profile page.

My cat had renal failure at 16 1/2 and I gave her ringers lactate (lactated ringers) subcutaneously for 7 months. The water alone weighed 2.2 lbs, but the added salts and sodium lactate made it 3 pounds. We had the same brand in the OCC. Three of them...I counted. (and sped them up as soon as the nurse left the room)

How are you going to lose the extra weight? You're going to pee them out, just like the rest of us did :D It isn't fat, it's just fluid. Your body will let them go when it's ready. And it will be ready as your internal organs un-inflame and your bruises heal. No worries.

I was banded on Tuesday. Today I got home and stepped on the scale and I've gained 7 pounds since I was weighed at the OCC! How can that be? I've done nothing but pee for the last 48 hours! I am a bit bloated, but seriously! Did this happen to anyone else?

Only 7? I gained 8 after 4 days...went to the bathroom, weighed again and gained 2 more. I was sending out SOS's to the forum...it's normal for a lot of people but still quite a shock! It is 10 days since being banded and I'm down to 8 pounbds less than the day I was banded. Hang in there..it will go away plus some. My highest weight was 297, before pre op diet...283, at banding 273 and now 265. It is worth every red cent I paid out of our savings. Even my husband has done a 180 and is now behind me all the way.

Pam

Only 7? I gained 8 after 4 days...went to the bathroom, weighed again and gained 2 more. I was sending out SOS's to the forum...it's normal for a lot of people but still quite a shock! It is 10 days since being banded and I'm down to 8 pounbds less than the day I was banded. Hang in there..it will go away plus some. My highest weight was 297, before pre op diet...283, at banding 273 and now 265. It is worth every red cent I paid out of our savings. Even my husband has done a 180 and is now behind me all the way.

Pam

:lb21: for your success.

Yes the water weight will go as quickly as it came.

Very Normal, not to worry-and it may take 3 more weeks or so to see it shift, then BOOM! Once you are on solids and higher calories, and the swelling can go down, that is! We were all there!!!!!Patience!

Janet

Totally normal to gain the weight immediately after surgery. I gained 6 or 7 pounds the day after and then lost it all plus 5 more by the 4th or 5th day after returning home. Hang in there....it will be gone before you know it.

Welcome to BandLand!

Denise

what's a lactate ringer? and where did they put them?

I was there about 10 in the morning wearing sandals, jean shorts and a black t-shirt -- utterly unmemorable ;-) I waited until about 11 for a fill. There was a husband and wife team, two people who had been banded (One named Nancy who got dental work) and AlainaD and her mom. My picture is on the profile page.

My cat had renal failure at 16 1/2 and I gave her ringers lactate (lactated ringers) subcutaneously for 7 months. The water alone weighed 2.2 lbs, but the added salts and sodium lactate made it 3 pounds. We had the same brand in the OCC. Three of them...I counted. (and sped them up as soon as the nurse left the room)

How are you going to lose the extra weight? You're going to pee them out, just like the rest of us did :D It isn't fat, it's just fluid. Your body will let them go when it's ready. And it will be ready as your internal organs un-inflame and your bruises heal. No worries.