Question of the Week

So I was thinking....I have been on mushy food since my fill yesterday.

I am okay with this, but wonder....if I chew my solid food like crazy until it's mushy liquid...why do I have eat mushy food after a fill? Hmmmmmm?

Too much time on hands??!! LOL!!

Same song, 2nd verse: just do what your Dr. tells you :D

Ortiz' office (Dr. So) said liquids for three days, then back to solids. Asked if they had to be clear liquids for any of that time, he said no. Just smooth, no chunks.

I always do...just wondering what the difference is???

I chew everything so well, it's mushy before it goes down anyway??

I think you make a great point here and I laughed when I read your post because this is so like me. I would be asking the same thing. Thanks for the chuckle.

Jessica

So I was thinking....I have been on mushy food since my fill yesterday.

I am okay with this, but wonder....if I chew my solid food like crazy until it's mushy liquid...why do I have eat mushy food after a fill? Hmmmmmm?

Too much time on hands??!! LOL!!

I think because not all of us may chew so thoroughly and this is a safe suggestion to all who may not do as well as you. Also maybe "mushy"foods arn't as fibrous and will not be as painful to digest? Just a thought.

I wonder too. Potatoe and other mushy foods will get liquidy if you add fluids to them? Did you get a list of what is considered mushy food? I was so surprised at all the foods that fall into that catagory on the list from my fill doctor.

I wonder too. Potatoe and other mushy foods will get liquidy if you add fluids to them? Did you get a list of what is considered mushy food? I was so surprised at all the foods that fall into that catagory on the list from my fill doctor.

Hi Barb,

Would you mind to post your list ofwhat is considered Mushy? Its been 11 days that ive been banded here in Australia and im currently in my mushy stage..although im sort of confused whats mushy and whats not... have a daily menu idea from my dietian although hasn't given me a list of foods that are considered Mushy...I was able to have some scrambled eggs tonight...and they stayed down okay... although im not sure if its really considered mushy... :-?

I consider mushy food, blended foods too.

Mashed potatoes

Baked potatoes

Scalloped potatoes

Creamy soups

Pasta blended

Mashed Fish

Cabbage Rolls (inside)

Tuna Salad (pasta and tuna)

Here are some of my examples. I chew like crazy until my food is liquid.

i find this topic oh so interesting... i am on day 14 and soup has become the bane of my existance! shakes come in a quick second. when hotty dr. O banded me, he gave me his latest info sheet which described why some patients do well with the band and others feel that it fails them. the main thing was the post-op and post-fill diet. he now is saying "no mushy foods" only smooth soups. the whole "whatever can get through a straw" thing is no longer recommended according to both him and dr. miranda (occ nutritionist). apparently things like chili, potatoes - anything that won't immediately slide through the pouch - will actually have to sit in your pouch for a time and it's not much different than solids in that way. the pouch is swollen do to banding or the fill and adding anything to it will cause it to swell even more and can very likely push the band down your stomach, creating a much larger pouch and less chance of ever feeling restriction or having much weight loss.

wow - what a sermon!

anyway, as much as i hate creamed soups by now, i certainly don't want my band to slip at all - what's the point of spending 7grand!! :P

i figure if dr. ortiz is supposed to be "the man" than it may be best to follow his coveted advise ;)

Crazily enough, after my second fill, Dr. So had me go out to eat solids to see if it was too much fill... I enjoyed going to meals with JulieT, and I had solids the rest of my stay in TJ. I am going to the fill center on the 12th, and I understand that their policy is liquids for a couple of days.

Half the time the directions vary from patient to patient, and I am not sure why. :wacko:

For my first fill Dr. So said to have liquids for 3 days after because we are still heeling from the initial surgery. At the next fill time, whenever it may be but at least 4 weeks from 1st fill the stomach is healed and they want you to eat something after the fill to check it out. This sounds like what Paula was told to do. I wonder if they've changed this in just the last few days?

Hi Barb,

Would you mind to post your list ofwhat is considered Mushy? Its been 11 days that ive been banded here in Australia and im currently in my mushy stage..although im sort of confused whats mushy and whats not... have a daily menu idea from my dietian although hasn't given me a list of foods that are considered Mushy...I was able to have some scrambled eggs tonight...and they stayed down okay... although im not sure if its really considered mushy... :-?

Hi, sorry it took so long: here is what my doctor said is mushy:

any eggs except fried

ground meat, may add fat-free gravy, broth, or light mayo to moisten

tuna fish

cooked beans or lentils

tofu

low-fat cottage cheese

low-fat cheese

soft well cooked vegatables

soft fruits , without skins and or seeds

cooked cereal, added skim milk or protein powder

mashed potatoes made with skim milk

soups , reduced fat cream soups

DO NOT ADD

tough vegatables like celery, corn, broccoli,cauliflower

tough fruits with skins, membranes or seeds such as, apples , oranges, grapes and berries

tough or dry meats

nuts and seeds

sticky fod like rice, pasta and soft bread

I hope this helps

The OCC post op diet plan, does not have mushy food stage, as far as I have seen. I was banded in Canada and my post-op plan was completely different.

4 days clear liquids

2 weeks full liquids (creamy soup stage)

2 weeks mushy/blended foods

I did not have solids until almost 5 weeks post op.