I'm considering this and I would love some feedback..also have some questions and would appreciate answers.

Like I said, I'm new and I have some questions. My name is Luisa, I´m almost 21 and I´m a size 14, weigh around 204.First I just wanted to congratulate everyone for their weight loss and I wanted to say that even though I don't know you I am sooo happy for you! You all have truly made me consider this procedure. I have struggled with my weight as long as I can remember, I've always been the chubby girl with a beautiful face, it's a very emotional issue for me. 204 lbs may not seem like something to complain about to some of you, but I've grown up with an extended family filled with good looking people who are in shape. They have always made me feel terrible about the way I look. I grew up hating who I was and secretly depressed. I spent years not going to the beach or pool parties.Thankfully, my junior year of high school I found God and completely overcame my self esteem issues. I love who I am! I really do, regardless of my shape. I am now outgoing, confident, well-spoken and accomplished. I go to the beach, I even skydive and also do whatever I desire. The only thing my weight holds me back from is wearing a bikini and not feeling discomfort when I run. However, now that I'm in a new stage of my life I think it's time for this pretty face and good personality to have a matching healthy body. I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting banded.

1. How much did your lap band procedure/trip cost?

2. What kind of band do you have, REALIZE or Inamed/Allegren and which do you advise?

3. How many fills will I need after surgery? Is it true they cost around $150-$300

4. How big is/are your scar(s) and how ugly is/are they?

5. Also, I'm a college student, I was thinking to do this during labor day weekend (August 31st-Sep. 1st) and then go back to school. Is 3 days enough?

6. I was also planning to study abroad starting January in China for a semester, do you think I'll still be able to do this if I get the band?

Thank you so much for your time and support!

1. How much did your lap band procedure/trip cost? Answered in a PM

2. What kind of band do you have, REALIZE or Inamed/Allegren and which do you advise? Dr. Ortiz chose the band. I asked him which he chooses and why. He chooses the band that best fits your stomach. For mine, he selected the Inamed 4 cc band.

3. How many fills will I need after surgery? Is it true they cost around $150-$300 Yes. Fills are not possible to predetermine. Some people get 2 or 3, some far more.

4. How big is/are your scar(s) and how ugly is/are they? See MamaMichelle's bikini pictures. I have 5. 4 of them are 1 cm long and hard to see now. The one where the port was put in is about an inch long. It will look like a scratch soon.

5. Also, I'm a college student, I was thinking to do this during labor day weekend (August 31st-Sep. 1st) and then go back to school. Is 3 days enough? If you don't have heavy lifting to do, probably. But a week is better.

6. I was also planning to study abroad starting January in China for a semester, do you think I'll still be able to do this if I get the band? Depends where you are in China. If you're in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai, you'll be fine. If you're inland, I'd get an unfill for the period of time you're there. There is no way to avoid sticky rice and/or noodles for a semester outside of the large metropolitian areas. Hong Kong and Shanghai are two of my very favorite cities.

Thank you so much for your time and support!

Phoenix did a great job of answering your questions. I advise you to just read this forum as much as you can and you will get answers to questions you havn't even thought of. I encourage you to call the OCC to speak to one of the patient care coordinators about your specific needs. They are a wealth of information and are happy to spend the time necessary to answer all your questions.

:lb11:

Hi there and welcome!!

1. How much did your lap band procedure/trip cost?

In Canada 15K

2. What kind of band do you have, REALIZE or Inamed/Allegren and which do you advise?

Allegren 9cc

3. How many fills will I need after surgery? Is it true they cost around $150-$300?

1 since sx June 10/08, fills included in fee.

4. How big is/are your scar(s) and how ugly is/are they?

The largest scar is about 4 inches long and it will fade over time.

5. Also, I'm a college student, I was thinking to do this during labor day weekend (August 31st-Sep. 1st) and then go back to school. Is 3 days enough?

It depends on how quickly you recover from surgery...some people have, I needed a week. By day 4 I started feeling okay.

6. I was also planning to study abroad starting January in China for a semester, do you think I'll still be able to do this if I get the band?

You will need to ensure that you have a good fill before you go, otherwise you could end up struggling and feeling hungry.

Talk to the surgeon, he will be able to answer all of your f/up questions.

Best of Luck!

Cathy, with all complete respect, I disagree with a fill before heading to Asia...I travel there a lot (Korea/Taiwan/Japan/China).

If I were going over there as an ex-pat on a long contract with my own kitchen, food supply, etc, then you're absolutely right. Hong Kong and Shanghai have plenty of plastic surgeons and bariatric clinics in case of emergency. In country, not so much.

As a short time stint, I'd get an unfill. Asian foods are frequently sticky (chop stick sticky) and if you got stuck all the time, that would be awful.