allergic reaction?

Hi! I was banded on 9-1-06, everything went well but now I have this huge red rash on my chest and upper abdomen. It is awful!! I think it could be an allergic reaction from the betadine used to scrub my surgery site. Has anyone had this happen to you?

okiegirl

banded 9-1-06

highest - 222

pre-surgery-210

today-207

Goal-145

Hi! I was banded on 9-1-06, everything went well but now I have this huge red rash on my chest and upper abdomen. It is awful!! I think it could be an allergic reaction from the betadine used to scrub my surgery site. Has anyone had this happen to you?

okiegirl

banded 9-1-06

highest - 222

pre-surgery-210

today-207

Goal-145

NO, BUT I WANTED TO SAY CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

okiegirl

banded 9-1-06

highest - 222

pre-surgery-210

today-207

Goal-145

Hi Okiegirl,

Yes, I had the same rash only where they applied the betadine stuff. It showed up 2 days after surgery and lasted for about a week to a week in a half. It never spread to my arms or legs. Just keep an eye on your incisions and make sure they are not read. The doc told me to use Benedryl if I need to, but I just held out. I was worried that I was rejecting the band, but that was not the case. Take care and call Dr. Oritz if you are still concerned, they called me back a couple of hours after I called them.

Beth

Hi Okiegirl,

Yes, I had the same rash only where they applied the betadine stuff. It showed up 2 days after surgery and lasted for about a week to a week in a half. It never spread to my arms or legs. Just keep an eye on your incisions and make sure they are not read. The doc told me to use Benedryl if I need to, but I just held out. I was worried that I was rejecting the band, but that was not the case. Take care and call Dr. Oritz if you are still concerned, they called me back a couple of hours after I called them.

Beth

Thanks so much Beth! That is exactly what happened to me. The rash has not spread but it is driving me crazy!!! I am looking forward to next week and maybe it wiill be gone !

Thanks again

okiegirl

Hi Okie-

Keep me posted on your rash. I'm getting banded the 22nd and if there is anything I can do to prevent that I want to.. I'm sure it's out of my control but nevertheless, it sounds painful and itchy!

You could probably get some betadine and do a test patch on your wrist or something and see if you react. If you do, I bet Dr. Ortiz could find something else to use instead :)