Oh fricking no...my band is apparently leaking

So Thursday I got my 1st fill...2cc's. I did liquids for the rest of the day and then early Friday morning I had breakfast and had no restriction what-so-ever. So I went back Friday mid-morning and the doc added 1 more cc and had me sit up and drink some water and I could tell I definitely had restriction. I did liquids for the rest of that day and this morning I got up and had breakfast...nothing. I could just eat and eat and eat if I wanted to. I know I was tight yesterday - I could physically feel the restriction on liquids. Now just hours later - not a thing. I am so sad and so mad. It seems I got a faulty band. Please someone tell me that the OCC will fix this and give me a new band for no charge (aside from the cost of the flight I will have to of course pay for myself and the time I will once again have to take off work.) I have emailed Carolyn and am waiting for her reply. I am just beside myself.

I am so bummed because I have had such a wonderful experience with my band and the OCC in general up until now. You alwasy hear there is a chance that you could get a faulty band (anything could be faulty of course - no matter what it is there are mistakes in everything sometimes) but you never think it will be you.

If anyone out there has ever experienced this, or knows someone who had, please share with me what measures were taken to get it fixed. Any help/encouragement is appreciated.

Beyond bummed,

Amber

Just because you had a little restriction and now you can eat everything really doesn't mean you have a faulty band. That's actually very typical. I have had 3 fills now and after the first one...nothing :huh: very confused at that point. After my second, ...very very little restriction. I could still eat with the best of them. After fill #3, RESTRICTION. Especially in the mornings and lunch. You will hear this a lot, there's a long healing stage that comes after having a band, but you have no choice but to give it time. I of all people know how hard it is to be patient. And your mind will wonder about everything. Please don't assume you have a faulty band, they do work...in time.

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's real. You will be fine, keep eating and exercising the way you know how to and try a few new things along the way. It will work. B)

Right-o and adding:

I had my first fill Tuesday, too! I'm sorry I missed you! I saw restriction, but come yesterday (first day of solids) I realized that I can eat anything I want to. We're just not there yet.

Moving past that to your biggest fear "what if":

The first thing they're going to do is remove all the saline from your band.

If there's no saline (or far less than 3 ccs) and you do have a leak, they can first try the "thickened" saline (Google it) that has a good track record for resisting being leaked out.

If there is saline, they'll put it back in and watch you do a barium swallow and get you to restriction again. This time, suggest to the fill Dr. that you try it at the end of the day after not fasting.

I agree with the other gals...fills are tricky. After my fill on Wednesday, I had no restriction...but today it's starting. It can come and go, from what I have read of others.

My surgeon removed the fluid in my band before the fill to check the content. If your fill doctor extracts the fluid first, he can tell what's in there and if their is leakage or not. My surgeon put 3cc of fluid in my 9cc band during surgery and add 1cc on Wednesday. When he extracted the fluid, I still had 3cc and all was well.

Good luck, I hope everything is ok!

As others have said try not to jump to the worst conclusion. It may seem to you that this is the only answer when in fact there are so many other factors that may be in play. No I don't understand it either but I sure hope for you that this is the case. You should probably talk to one of the Docs at OCC, not that Carolyn won't have some good advice but they are the experts.

:lb4:

Amber,

I'm hoping and praying you don't have a leak in your band. There is another member on this forum that has a leak and they've been givng her the thicker saline...I can't remember who it was though??

Just know we are thinking of you and hope you get your problem solved asap.

Denise

Fills are tricky! My first fill at OCC, they told me they put in 1.4cc. When I went to the Fill Center in SLC for my 2nd fill, I only had .8cc, where did it go? In the interim they put back in 1.4cc again, and I have good restriction and am losing weight....go know!! Just wait and see, time will tell. It takes a little time for the restriction to set in. In the meantime I wish you good luck and if you are really freaked about this, call OCC and discuss with them. I bet you'll be fine.

Good Luck!

Arlene

I doubt your band is faulty or that you have a leak, the simple act of getting a fill causes irratation to your band this is probably where the instant restriction is coming from... Once that settles it can feel like the restriction is gone when really just the swelling has gone down!! Give it a day or two to kick in and then you can go back and try to get another fill, you will get there!!

P.S. if there is a leak the thicker solution is called Omnipaque

I don't know if the lenght of the tubing of the band differs from person to person, but that has to be filled before the fluid even gets to the band. And that takes some volume. thats why they can put more than 4 cc in a band, some is in the tube.

From everything I've read including Dr. Ortiz's book don't panic. There are solutions now for many things including thickened normal saline. I'm still awaiting banding so I don't have the experience of the others but I want to offer my support. I also hope the doctor withdrew the saline that was there before adding more to make sure there was no air there. Good luck

Christine

Just to point out how tricky fills are, I met a gal at the Roswell FillCenter who told me that four months after her fill, she had to have an emergency unfill.

I say hang in there. Don't fret, but you can always get a bit more. Just go slow and you will find the right spot. I was like you at the first fill. I seemed to not have much difference. I eventually got about 3 fills before I found the right amount. I have been slowly losing. However, I have to really watch what I eat now. Just take your time and don't fret. I don't regret my decidion in the least. I feel better and move easier. ;)

Oh man guys, thank you so much for your responses and I SO hope you are right!! I just don't see how after haveing 3cc's (in a 4cc band) and having immedately been so tight I could barely get water down, I could go to feeling no restriction the next day. Knowing this, do you still think there is a chance that I could still just have a normally functioning band?

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your imput!

Amber, After my last fill I was told that you will being to really fill the restriction about a week to 2 weeks later. And I did. You have to give it time for your tummy to adjust to the new fill! Please give it time.

Kelly C

I just hit my 80 lbs. lost last Monday! 7/28