At what point does this get easier?

Hi All,

I have started the pre-op diet early as I want to make absolute certain that I lose the 13lbs required before sugery. I am on day three, down 4lbs (all water weight I am sure) and happy to see after just a few days I'm almost 1/3 of the way there but... I AM STARVING. I know a lot of it is head hunger as I sit here (like right now) thinking about bagels and cream cheese or a sausage mcmuffin from McD's (my two breakfast staples) as I sip my EAS low carb chocolate crap wishing I had real food. It doesn't stop here tho...

Lunch time I can smell the array of different lunches throughout my cube h*ll and my tummy starts to grumble or the worst "Hey Miriam we're going to lunch are you ready?" to which I have to say "NOPE I'm not hungry" (LIE!) and continue to sip my shake and eat my dry tasteless salad. I am getting headaches from h*ll and assume it is the lack of caffine and my body going through fat intake withdrawls *snicker* and I continue to day dream about shepards pie from Mickey's and pizza.

When I go home it is the same thing. My significant other comes home and asks what is for dinner and I like the doating wifey like person I am and make him whatever it is he is asking for (usually high carb/fat crap) and continue to sip my shakes. I am never satisfied and always hungry and always fighting my other 'self' to not endulge in my old guilty pleasures, I'm in this for the long haul but... Does this ever get easier?

Miriam

Does it get easier? Yes, but it's never easy! Your tummy should stop growling within 4 or 5 days as your stomach shrinks. That won't make the head hunger go away though :(

Sux that you have to make the SO dinner - I find it's easier to try and ignore food entirely, which is hard to do when you're cooking!!!!

Hi All,

I have started the pre-op diet early as I want to make absolute certain that I lose the 13lbs required before sugery. I am on day three, down 4lbs (all water weight I am sure) and happy to see after just a few days I'm almost 1/3 of the way there but... I AM STARVING. I know a lot of it is head hunger as I sit here (like right now) thinking about bagels and cream cheese or a sausage mcmuffin from McD's (my two breakfast staples) as I sip my EAS low carb chocolate crap wishing I had real food. It doesn't stop here tho...

Lunch time I can smell the array of different lunches throughout my cube h*ll and my tummy starts to grumble or the worst "Hey Miriam we're going to lunch are you ready?" to which I have to say "NOPE I'm not hungry" (LIE!) and continue to sip my shake and eat my dry tasteless salad. I am getting headaches from h*ll and assume it is the lack of caffine and my body going through fat intake withdrawls *snicker* and I continue to day dream about shepards pie from Mickey's and pizza.

When I go home it is the same thing. My significant other comes home and asks what is for dinner and I like the doating wifey like person I am and make him whatever it is he is asking for (usually high carb/fat crap) and continue to sip my shakes. I am never satisfied and always hungry and always fighting my other 'self' to not endulge in my old guilty pleasures, I'm in this for the long haul but... Does this ever get easier?

Miriam

I had surgery 10 days ago. The pre-op diet was hard for me. I too am a wife and mom of three, I have to feed them. It never got easy. But the 5th -7th day was easier. I guess because it was so close, I was busy, I got used to it a little, I don't know. It was hard though, and still is. But before surgery, I kept thinking, I want my liver out of the way. I will not eat and cause any complications. I couldn't afford a complication. It helped me to live with it. And I weighed myself a lot. I don't care if it was water weight or what, it helped me to know that it was working.

I also warned my family, since I am the one cooking, once I start eating solid foods again, I am keeping different foods around, and they might have to try some new things. We marked Day 22 after surgery on the calendar, and they know they have a few more weeks. Most of the things I am making for dinner are from boxes now. We have a lot of tater tots, or fries, frozen pizza, that kind of thing. I know it is not healthy for them, but i have to let this band heal and for the next few weeks, that is my main concern. But by doing things that I don't have to do much work for, or that my husband doesn't mind doing, it sure helps me. I also spend my dinner time sitting at the table with the family, but with my laptop, and I look for new recipes I can try, and tell my family about them. Or I have transferred everything I need to, school dates, church dates, dr appts, and things to a new calendar during dinner. It really helps me to sit with them, but not be thinking about food so much.

On the pre-op diet, you can have green veggies. Now would be a good time to try lots of them. I hated the salad with vinegar, only had it once. Broccoli was my favorite, along with I can't believe it's not butter spray. It has zero calories, but makes any veggie more palatable for those who don't like veggies. I could have 4 pounds of green veggies a day, so that helped, though I never probably even had a pound. Try lots of different veggies cooked different ways, or with different seasoning salts on them. It might help for after the surgery also, if you are at all like me.

One more thing. I practiced sipping very small sips. I used to down a slimfast in 1 minute and be ready for more. Now it lasts half and hour. I always had a big bottle of crystal light around also, especially at dinner, so it was sip of slimfast, then some water. If you get in a pattern, it helps, and by the end, I was not done with my slimfast when my kids were. I finished it while I cleaned up.

It is not easy, but after surgery, it will be easier, though not easy. Just today, I am back on Slimfast, and I can't tell you how excited I am. Tomorrow I get soup! Yippee! Never thought I could be so excited to only drink slimfasts during the day, but I am. Whatever it takes. I will be able to eat again, this is temporary, and if I have to go a month with out solid food, I will do whatever it takes. Just as long as I don't have to ever do it again.!!!

By the way, I am on day 10, and the 20 pounds I have lost really help lift my spirits. By pants are BAGGY!!! That never happens to me. It makes me feel a lot better, like it is worth it.

Hang in there, if I can manage, anyone can!

Becki

My tummy growling has not gone away yet since the pre-op diet nor has my head hunger. However with the remaining self dicipline i've mustered up, i'm able to ignore it alot of the time. I too am on day 10 and its definitely hard. The caffine headaches went away in 6 days for me and they haven't been back. I just keep telling myself that it'll all be worth it. I keep looking at pictures of the "skinny" me and think about times where i was embarassed to be overweight and that usually keeps me on track.

The biggest thing thats helped me with the hunger is to keep busy. The more i sit around, the more i think about food and get hungrier

Hang in there, it will get better but not after a little pain!

Hi All,

Hi. My name is Angela Deverger and I have had this lapband surgery from and surgeon here in the United States. I was required only to do liquids 3 days before to shrink my liver. My surgery went very very well. I am so astounded at all the bs that is on this website and all the products people are consuming pre-and post op. I am happy that I did not choose a surgeon who did only weight loss surgeries. He is a general surgeon who specializes in all laparascopic surgeries. I got the size 10 VG band and I was banded on August 23rd and I am down 8 pounds. I am a person who believes in doing what is right for me. I think the most important thing in weight loss is to exercise. I feel no restriction in my band. 5 days after the surgery, I knew that I could not get through consuming only liquids, I had to take a suppressant. I got through it with no guilt. You will have to diet in order to change your life and get to your weight goals. Being sedentary is what got us to this place. All bandsters should know that we do not and will not experience this huge weight loss quickly with out working hard. Drinking lots of water is not the half of it. YOU HAVE TO EXERCISE!!!!!! Life is hard, but when there is something really important to you that you want, youwill work day and night to achieve it.

Miriam

I had the same experiences the first few days but it does get better! I also found that drinking flavored water like Fruit-2-0 or Propel really made a difference . . . and it helped keep me full and somewhat satisfied. I also sucked on sugar-free candies to cut the pangs those first few days. Gum might help as well.

I was lucky that my kids could feed themselves so I could stay out of the kitchen. My husband also fended for himself when he was home (salesman). If you are really struggling, I would show your hubby where the kitchen is and how to make a sandwich for himself. ; )

Good Luck!

PatU

I know, it IS hard! But fill up on veggies as much as you can. Spinach, steamed with garlic and salt, Broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, edamame, collard green...I think pretty much any green in a pan with garlic and salt and butter spray tasted pretty darn good.

The tough part does pass. I think the hardest were days 1 and 2. It takes some time to sort of detox off of caffiene and carbs. And when you're post-op you'll have a much easier time, especially mentally. But really my hunger level is so barely there compared to pre-op.

Hang in there!