Not having a good day

karenlynn79

Hi all,

5 days post-op and I am regretting this. (I know it's a phase though). I have been in mild-medium pain since surgery and since yesterday starving. Since Dr. M said we could do "real" liquids on day 4 if we HAD to, I had a couple slim fast shakes, popsicles, etc. Today was worse and my stomach was freaking out, seriously hungry. I had a bowl of creamy potato soup that I strained so that it was only liquid no chunks at all. Is this awful? It did make me feel better but I am still unhappy!! Has anyone else done this? Did I mess up my band? I hope Dr M does not read this! I feel physically fine though no weird stomach issues. I keep reading that it gets easier but I am miserable!

Karen

Hi all,

5 days post-op and I am regretting this. (I know it's a phase though). I have been in mild-medium pain since surgery and since yesterday starving. Since Dr. M said we could do "real" liquids on day 4 if we HAD to, I had a couple slim fast shakes, popsicles, etc. Today was worse and my stomach was freaking out, seriously hungry. I had a bowl of creamy potato soup that I strained so that it was only liquid no chunks at all. Is this awful? It did make me feel better but I am still unhappy!! Has anyone else done this? Did I mess up my band? I hope Dr M does not read this! I feel physically fine though no weird stomach issues. I keep reading that it gets easier but I am miserable!

Karen

KAREN, I'M SURE YOUR FINE. TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX!!!

I HAD MADE POTATO SOUP WITH ONIONS, CELERY, BACON, ETC. I THOUGHT OK I'LL BLEND IT AND DRINK IT. WELL I HAD BASICLY FLAVORED MASHED POTATOES AFTER I WAS DONE. I EAT IT AND ENJOYED EVERY BITE!!! IT HELD ME OVER FOR SEVERAL DAYS UNTIL I WAS ABLE TO EAT, EAT

YOUR DOING GREAT, TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Poor Karen,

I'm sending you a hug through this email. Pammie is right - you have to take this one day at a time. And, I don't think you have hurt your band - just stay away from chunky or too thick things or solids. I did tomatoe soup (no chunks) and v8 juice and that was filling - do you know why you are miserable? Is it because you are hungry - if so, try some of the soups very watered down and pureered and see if that helps - Another bandster friend of mine told me about bear creek soups in packages and they are yummy yummy - i'm sure you could add extra water and blend to super thin liquid to make something work and taste decent.

I also enjoyed full strength juices (like grape) which are a no no after you start eating again but right now you dont have to worry about the calories. Also hot chocolate might make you feel better - i know chocholate always does it for me. I was depressed after surgery too and I think its from the anethesia and trauma and probably wondering what the heck have i done to myself? this is all normal and should pass. Try to stay busy so you are not overly focused on food (i know, is that possible - :D ) Hang in there and if you really feel like eating - call dr. miranda first and she will give you more suggestions - don't eat solids before you are healed or you could risk hurting your band. big bummer that would be.

Thanks guys.

Today is better. I did lose like 7 pounds since surgery so that did make me feel better this morning. I think part of it is missing food. I knew ahead of time, but it really hits you, doesn't it? Plus my 4 year old is very suspicious of my weird eating and I know I am confusing him! I think I'll survive with thinned out soups and I didn't even think to try hot chocolate! Definitely will. Thanks for the encouraging comments! It is nice to know others go through the same thing and survived!

Karen

I know its hard! The liquid diet is awful, there I said it! But your stomach needs time to heal and your band time to settle in place.

It does get better, especially when you can add the yogurt and then the full liquid. You can add the no sugar fudgescicles and I occassionally had some fat free frozen yogurt - just a little, but the treat made me feel better.

Our stomach has to adapt to eating less and adjust to having the band. I had some pretty strong stomach rumble/growls during the first month of the band - but I wasn't really hungry - a drink of water or a little broth took care of it. Head hunger is a terrible enemy and you have to be patient with your body while it adapts to this new way of life. You'll make it! We're all cheering for you! :wub:

I was the same way, but it got a little better when I could have a yogurt smoothie (the Strawberry Banana flavor Light Smoothie from Yoplait is my favorite-- why do they INSIST on making the lid pink?). It improved further when I could make my own smoothie and add protein. The protein is satisfying.

In a week, I can start solid foods. In hind sight, it hasn't been too bad. YOU CAN DO IT.

Hi James,

It's Allison, we rode together from the airport. Hope you are doing better.

I am not having too much of a problem with the liquid diet. A friend turned me on to Better than Bouillion. Which is organic and available in beef chicken, seafood and tomato bases and its great in between the protein drinks. Its really low in calories, (I know that's not an issue now) but its also low in salt. Plus because its warm its feel more nurturing especially as Fall arrived in NC while I was in MX.

At least this liquid diet takes the dilemma out of what's for dinner.. Ha Ha

Take Care.

Allison :)