Prospective Lap Band Patient

My name is Daniel. I am 26 yrs. old and morbidly obese. My weight problem is mainly caused by two factors: a brain tumor that severely damaged my pituitary gland and hypothalamus, and my obsession with food. I currently weigh about 415 lbs., with a BMI of around 71. Although I currently have two inoperable brain tumors, I have been told by my doctors that the greatest risk to my health is my obesity. At this point I have come to the conclusion that I would rather live a longer, happier life than live by the old "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die" philosophy. I have been told by numerous sources that Lap Band surgery would be beneficial to me as it is effective as, but less invasive than gastric bypass. However, I would like some input from some people who have had it done. I have two questions to start with:

• I read that soda is not good after surgery...is that FOREVER after surgery, or just the first few weeks?
  • Are spicy foods OK when done with the post-surgery diet?

I would appreciate any help you could offer to help me take this drastically needed step. Thank you. I look forward to getting to meet and know all of you :P

My name is Daniel. I am 26 yrs. old and morbidly obese. My weight problem is mainly caused by two factors: a brain tumor that severely damaged my pituitary gland and hypothalamus, and my obsession with food. I currently weigh about 415 lbs., with a BMI of around 71. Although I currently have two inoperable brain tumors, I have been told by my doctors that the greatest risk to my health is my obesity. At this point I have come to the conclusion that I would rather live a longer, happier life than live by the old "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die" philosophy. I have been told by numerous sources that Lap Band surgery would be beneficial to me as it is effective as, but less invasive than gastric bypass. However, I would like some input from some people who have had it done. I have two questions to start with:
  • I read that soda is not good after surgery...is that FOREVER after surgery, or just the first few weeks?
  • Are spicy foods OK when done with the post-surgery diet?

I would appreciate any help you could offer to help me take this drastically needed step. Thank you. I look forward to getting to meet and know all of you :P

Hey there Dan,

Welcome to the OCC forum! Are you considering surgery with Dr. Ortiz, or are you just starting to look into the technicalities of the process? I am sorry to hear about your health problems. I used to think, too, that you only live once so why not eat/do whatever you want? But that just makes unhappy people. As far as your questions, 1) I think they pretty much recommend cutting out the soda permanently. It's not good for your health in general, but any carbonated drinks can stretch your pouch allowing you to eat more than you should be able to. Quit drinking it now! You'll just be doing yourself a favor.

2) I haven't heard of anyone having issues with spicy foods, I think that's just a personal taste preference.

I would highly highly recommend contacting the OCC in regards to pre-op weight loss. I have heard from others here that if your BMI is high, they have some specific things for you to do pre-op.

Good luck! This forum is the best and we are always around to answer any questions.

Karen

Ditto that, bubbles (beer, champagne, soda) are on the no no list permenantly. Pouch expansion is a bad thing since it's the little pouch that makes the band work.

Spice is nice. If your mouth and stomach are happy with them, a little silicone band will be, too.

Hello Daniel and welcome!! I really hope you find the info you're looking for, just search through the threads and read, read, read!! :D I highly recommend talking to the people at the OCC, they'll tell you everything you want to know.

I think it's recommended not to drink soda for 6 months after surgery. I don't drink it, I'm a iced tea drinker. It's not any good for you anyways... especially diet soda.

I had my surgery in March and I've lost 30lbs. total. I would do it all over again, it was a snap!

Good luck to you Daniel and Best Wishes!! Darlene

Welcome Daniel,

So glad to hear from you and that you are considering lapband surgery. I am sorry to hear about your other health issues, if surgery is an option for you, then the lapband procedure can definitely help you with your weight loss.

I was banded in Canada on June 10th and I am down 38 lbs already. It's a lifestyle change that excludes carbonated drinks. I only drink water now, I quit Diet Coke on May 27th for good and honestly believe that just cutting this out, helped with my weight loss.

I have eaten spicey foods and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I haven't had acid reflux since surgery, which is a huge plus.

I hope you go for it...if you have any other questions, we are the most supportive bunch of bandsters or bandsters-to-be you will ever find!!!

Best of Luck!!!

Daniel

no soda or beer for 6 months, after that you need to pour it in a glass and let it sit for at least 20 to 30 min to lose some fizz. one thing you will notice is you will probably lose the desire for soda and beer - and i was a heavy drinker of both. now i drink about 2 diet sodas a month and thats taking a sip here or there... i never drink a full 12 oz soft drink - i just dont have that desire anymore. same with beer - it is easier to drink a vodka and cranberry or something along those lines.

the one thing to remember is how many calories soda and beer have. drink diet soda if you feel you have to have it.

i have noticed that alcohol can burn for days after a hard night of partying... i eat such little food and that alcohol hitting the upper pouch and going thru slowly has to be eating at my stomach and esophogas, so i highly recommend limiting these drinks.

i would never have gotten the surgery if someone told me i could NEVER have something again, however, i have no regrets and i eat and drink whatever i want but sometimes i pay for it with pbing or heart burn.

good luck on your decision.

kim

Wow. Thank you all for such incredibly fast responses...and all relevant, too! I truly appreciate all the positive support I'm getting, nudging me in the right direction. I was afraid of the answers regarding soda. Let it be known now...

{standing} My name is Daniel, and I'm a carbonation addict.

I drink on average between 4 and 6 cans of soda each day (mostly diet). I love the feeling of the cold fizziness on my throat. But if that's one of the habits I need to kick, I think the results will be worthwhile.

As far as the spicy foods answer, I'm very happy.

jal.jpg

Thanks again for the help.

Kimmy

thanks, one thing you will never hear from me is that i am a perfect bandster. i want to live and i know at times i put myself at risk for slippage but i have gotten to know my band and if i irritate it or my esophagus at all i will go on liquids for a day or two just to let things relax and make sure i have done no damage.

an example of soda this morning... i opened a can of diet cream soda (my personal favorite) poured it in a glass and let it sit for about 20 mins before i took one sip... i took too big of a drink and had to let out one of those awfuls burps where you arent sure if you are going to burp or pb (yes you can pb just water or any liquid). after the burp i knew it was still too bubbly ---- the soda sat there for another 30 mins and then i was able to slowly sip if over the next hour... that was my breakfast.

Daniel,

once you get used to having no soda... which you really should not drink it at all for the first 6 months, you will find that you dont crave it like before and it just doesnt taste as good - maybe because you cant drink fast or something. i was one of those people that when i ate fast food or anything i always had a large soda with me... now i get a free water or nothing at all... i have found i cant drink if i want to with a meal because i will pb. its much easier for me to drink all liquids an hour before or after eating and i have learned to not even try at anyother time.

kim

Kim and Kimmy - not to start a confrontation, or anything but I was told by the American doctors absolutely no carbonation ever again. That is not a made-up statement by so-called experts. That came from several doctors here in the states and their nutritionalists at the bariatric centers. It can very easily stretch the pouch or cause slippage. Just because it hasn't happened to you Kim, doesn't mean it doesn't happen at all.

When I got to the OCC I specifically asked Dr, Miranda about this because of the differences between what the Mexicans say an what the Americas say. Dr. Miranda told me that yes, they also always said NO carbonation ever again, but that they found when they said never to people, that they automatically went out and did it anyway. But when they used the 6 month time frame, they found that people tended to stay away from it all together which is the preferred method. That is why they say 6 months now instead of never.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong for you, but I do take exception to the remark about so-called experts making false statements.

LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get mad!!

It sounds like all your questions were answered, but I wanted to give you a huge WELCOME! :D

Wow. Thank you all for such incredibly fast responses...and all relevant, too! I truly appreciate all the positive support I'm getting, nudging me in the right direction. I was afraid of the answers regarding soda. Let it be known now...

{standing} My name is Daniel, and I'm a carbonation addict.

I drink on average between 4 and 6 cans of soda each day (mostly diet). I love the feeling of the cold fizziness on my throat. But if that's one of the habits I need to kick, I think the results will be worthwhile.

As far as the spicy foods answer, I'm very happy.

jal.jpg

Thanks again for the help.

Don't worry. I used to drink at least 10 (but usually more than that) diet cokes a day. Believe it or not, once you through the first few weeks, you really don't miss it. I feel so much better with out it. My joints no longer hurt. I feel so much better that I am not even going back to it after my 6 months is up!!!

I'm also a prospective lapband patient. My mom was banded at OCC a few months ago and has had such phenomenal results, she is encouraging me to do this for myself, too.

I have been very reluctant to admit that I need something other than sheer will power to conquer a lifetime of bad eating habits, but gaging my mom's results, the band keeps you honest because "cheating" can be extremely uncomfortable.

Good luck with your decision and your health issues.

Dana