Questions for the veterans, et al.

1) Exercise or just being active. I love to road bike, mtn bike, surf, kayak and hike. How soon after the banding were you able to kick your exercise routine into high gear?

2) I know banding is a tool to help us gain control and some sort of normalcy in our lives. Is anyone seeing a nutritionist or a psychologist trying keep you from falling back into the old habits?

3) What did you wear after your surgery? I have a couple of sun dresses and yoga pants.

4) Is there a link to a list of foods that I should have after the surgery on this site?

5) Water intake while working out. Is anyone having problems with this?

6) Did anyone just go for baby food during the mushy food stage?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks,

Donna

1. You can do walking right after surgery, but anything with abs has to wait 3 months. I walk 2 miles a day and that is how I get my exercise.

2. My fill Dr. has a nutritionist talk to me when I go for my fills. I have alot of willpower so I really know I will never revert back to eating like I did. I still slip sometimes, but when I do I work harder the next day.

3. I wore loose clothing. Alot of the women here take a sports bra with them too.

4. Michelle posted the post-op diet around here somewhere. It is simple..just liquids for 21 days and then on to solids.

5. I drink tons of water daily. It doesn't bother me.

6. There is no mushy food stage. Mushies are a no-no. You stay on liquids and then straight to solids.

I hope these helped some!

I walked a mile on the treadmill at the hotel lucerna 24hrs after banding and had no issues, I was also told that I could do any exercise that used my abs (kickboxing, aerobics, pilates) but no moves that resembles a stomach crunch for 3 months... lol I got so out of the habit of doing crunches that I am 5 months out and have only done them a few times (need to get back in the habit of that so I can loose this pooch)

I have been walking since day one, biking since 3 weeks out as well as working out on the eliptical and hiking etc. I started abs yesterday which was my 3 month bandaversary!!! That is the timeline that I was given at OCC but check with your Dr. for his or her guidelines.

1) Exercise or just being active. I love to road bike, mtn bike, surf, kayak and hike. How soon after the banding were you able to kick your exercise routine into high gear?

2) I know banding is a tool to help us gain control and some sort of normalcy in our lives. Is anyone seeing a nutritionist or a psychologist trying keep you from falling back into the old habits?

3) What did you wear after your surgery? I have a couple of sun dresses and yoga pants.

4) Is there a link to a list of foods that I should have after the surgery on this site?

5) Water intake while working out. Is anyone having problems with this?

6) Did anyone just go for baby food during the mushy food stage?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks,

Donna

1. For me I didn't get back to my "normal" workout routine until after the 1st month. I walked every day while I was healing, but I didn't do the elliptical machine at all, or weights (still not on those) or swim. I just started swimming again this week and it is wonderful and I am back to running / walking and elliptical every day as well.

2. I see a nutritionalist every month. I was not banded at the OCC, so it was a requirement in the clinic where I had my surgery. I am thankful for the nutritionist both pre and post op because I learned a lot about my triggers as well as how to deal with food emotionally. I used to use it as a drug and now I just use it for fuel. Plus, the nutrtionist is great about offering help after the surgery with regards to what are the best choices eating wise. I struggled the first 2 weeks with getting enough calories in and I remember calling her and she basically gave me another complete list of things to buy that would help me through that difficult period. My energy went up after speaking with her and I was thankful for having that support.

3. Sun Dress.

4. I am not sure.

5. I did initially only because I used to drink a lot, like over 100 ounces daily. Immediately after surgery I dropped considerably with my water intake. Now, I am back up to my 100 ounces daily, but I really have to plan for it knowing you really shouldn't drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after a meal. My nutritionist has me on 1200 calories a day split between 3 meals and 3 snacks. It is a full time job some days getting the food / water in. I am on a good schedule now and it is working. I feel strong and the weight is steadily coming off. I think the 3 meals / 3 snacks a day is good because my metabolism doesn't shut down..

6. My nutritionist recommended it but I just couldn't bring myself to do the baby food. I ended up putting everything in the food processer. It was easier for me. I would boil a chicken breast and then put it in the processer with a little chicken broth and pulse till it was crumbly. I would then add a little non fat mayo just enough to moisten and a little more broth. I lived on that a lot those first couple of weeks.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

I walked a mile on the treadmill at the hotel lucerna 24hrs after banding and had no issues, I was also told that I could do any exercise that used my abs (kickboxing, aerobics, pilates) but no moves that resembles a stomach crunch for 3 months... lol I got so out of the habit of doing crunches that I am 5 months out and have only done them a few times (need to get back in the habit of that so I can loose this pooch)

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get some ab work in now that I am approaching the three month mark. the hours on the treadmill took my thighs down, now to get to that mid-section and the all important stretching.

It's another thing to do, but only we can do it. And we are worth it!