Made it through!! Have a question, though

I had my surgery last Friday, August 8 and am thrilled to say that I made it through with flying colors! The experience is everything that all of you lapbanders said it would be. I do have some pain, but nothing I can't deal with. I'm having some trouble with the gas in and around my back and ribcage, but I guess that will disappear in time. I do have a question for you experienced ones: Can drinking too much (broth, coffee, watered-down juice, ect) at one sitting make the lap band slip? My stomach keeps growling and I've been downing a lot of liquids. I'm a little worried since Dr. Ortiz now doesn't stitch the lap band in place anymore. I want to give this the best possible chance to be successful.

thanks for all your support!! :wub:

I have not had the surgery yet, and so I can't answer your question, but I was wondering if Dr. Ortiz told you why he does not stitch the lap band in place anymore?

He said that it made little difference, that the way he put it in kept the band in place, without the stitching (at least that's what I remember).

I can answer for sure that you can do no harm with liquids as long as you stick to the clears as recommended and then introduce the drinkable yogurt and then full liquids at 7 days. Drink as much broth, juices, popsicles, special K protein water, gatorade as you like. I bought benefiber which totally dissolves in liquids so you have no clue it's there and added a teaspoon or 2 to whatever I drank and had no probs with bowel issues.

Congrats on a successful surgery and I hope you recovery goes well.

Congrats on a successful sugery. You are supposed to be able to drink all the liquids you want.

That sucks that he is not stitching them anymore. :huh:

Hi there,

I'm not sure where you heard that Dr. Ortiz doesn't stitch the band in place anymore, but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Here's a link to a youtube video he just uploaded last week - in which he does indeed stitch the band in place and talks about how that is a necessary step.

So don't worry too much about a band slip - and drink all you need.

He said that it made little difference, that the way he put it in kept the band in place, without the stitching (at least that's what I remember).

Were you sleeping when he told you that !!!LOL !!! :P I took my neice and sister in-law in and also actually witnessed a Surgery for the taping of the Oprah Show and he did stich.

I want mine stitched in place!

Cara,

I just have to say that if Cassie saw your Avatar she would be kissing your Avatar all over. LOL

Hi there,

I'm not sure where you heard that Dr. Ortiz doesn't stitch the band in place anymore, but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Here's a link to a youtube video he just uploaded last week - in which he does indeed stitch the band in place and talks about how that is a necessary step.

So don't worry too much about a band slip - and drink all you need.

Well, Dr. Ortiz told me this himself just before I went in for the surgery.....I think I'll e-mail the clinic....I'm starting to worry.

I watched that video link on youtube where he did a surgery back on July30th and stitched it in place. But....he does state in that video that the band is not held in place by those stitches after the first about 6 weeks I think is what he said. He states that after that first 6 weeks, that band is held in place by the healing process and healing into place. He stated that long term, those few stitches do not hold it in place, but patient compliance to bandster rules is what ultimately holds it in place. So I would think, that if he did recently stop stitching, theres not much to worry about anyway. The stitches only help the first 6 weeks anyway. What I took from what he said is that relying on your stitches is a false sense of security. You can still have band slippage if not careful. Interested to hear what he says about this when I actually go on August 29th for my surgery.

Jessica