DR O. Info posted by Lori!

Guest CaraMBA09

Guest CaraMBA09

I read on the forum that patients need many fills

Well usually you will find that some patients stay on the forums looking for answers they like. Our average number of fills on females is 2-3 and on males is 1-2, in a lifetime. Some folks get 5 but usually something also happened. Patients may have recieved two fills then suddenly they needed a band deflation and then started all over again by the time they reach their adecquate restriction level they are up to five fills. Makes sense? Patients that tend to overrely on the band also get more fills, thinking that restriction will compensate for the inability follow the simple guidelines. Some patients sadly started eating solids before their 21 day liquid phase and have stretched out their pouch permanently. These patients will never reach their weightloss goal unless they get corrective surgery.

Fills performed under fluoroscopy are precise.

Yes they are for many reasons. Even though we are dealing with something as dynamic as the everchanging human body we can get to an aproximation of your ideal restriction in less fills. This means tht the fill performed will be more or less precise at the date performed. You may lose this restriction as your experiment further weightloss, you learn how to chew, select better foods, eat slower etc. We can also see other changes that will let us know if you band is too tight (surely this will cause a complication in weeks) also if it is too loose and you won’t lose any weight. Sometimes it will tell us if the patient is not being sincere with us.

This is great info for all of us newbies starting out!

Cara

Thats what I'm talking about, Dr. Ortiz told me 3 important things must be followed. 1 no solids in the first 21 days, 2 wait as long as you can for that first flouro fill and get it at the OCC, 3 food choice and make you're mouth a food processor chew chew chew.

Guest CaraMBA09

I read in the Doctors Corner of the blog that he says 6-8 weeks...not anytime before

AND he recommends going to OCC for the first one

anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thats what I'm talking about, Dr. Ortiz told me 3 important things must be followed. 1 no solids in the first 21 days, 2 wait as long as you can for that first flouro fill and get it at the OCC, 3 food choice and make you're mouth a food processor chew chew chew.

Why is it so important to wait as long as possible for first fill?