Slow Weight loss solution???

Okay in light of all the angry posts on here I know I am really sticking my neck out but here goes. Yes I admit it I am a cheater. I am no good at low calorie diets and never have been. I know my band is a tool but at present I don't have enough restriction to do much good (1cc in a 4cc band). I finally went to low carb. Yes I know it's another diet but I had to get the sugar out of my system. Since I am in my 50's I lose slow to begin with but my weight had started to go up and I was very discouraged. I love hearing the success stories on here but sometimes I wonder if I am the only one that can't seem to get it right so yes it is a comfort to know I'm not alone. Anyway on the up side I lost 2.5 pounds in less than a week by banishing the carbs in my diet. Hallelujah! Yes I know alot of it is water but I couldn't seem to lose before plus my cravings have stopped (and I am PMS'ing). It occurred to me that Dr. Miranda had more or less encouraged a low carb diet in the first place as those with restriction often seem to say that by the time they eat their veggies and protein there is no room for carbs so I figured, what the heck why not give it a try. For those of you that are struggling like me it might be worth a try. Of course it helps if you have an MD that is supportive of that (mine is) as you should be monitored. I am doing the Atkins 20 carb a day induction plan at the moment. Feel free to email me privately if you like, it will remain private!

Hugs to all of you,

Cheryl

I think it is okay for us to admit when we have done wrong. The most important thing is you are on the right track now and there is no sense in looking back at the past..on to the future!! It sounds like you have found something that is really working for you. I am proud of you!!

P.S I only have 1.8 cc in my band so I don't have much restriction either. It sure makes it tougher.

Thanks Kim, sometimes I feel kind of invisible on this board. It really helps to get some feedback!

Cheryl

Cheryl, I think that whatever works for you is great. If someone else doesn't agree that doesn't matter. It works for you, and that's what counts. I am sorry that you have felt invisible. I know it is frustrating when someone tells you to do it a certain way and then the weight will just fall off. Not always the case, right? I believe that as long as you keep trying, one day you will find the right combination that works for you to lose the weight you need. I hope that this low carb choice works for you and you will begin to see the results you are looking for. Also, can you get another fill to help the restriction? Keep us updated on your progress.

Jessica

I'll be honest, if someone needs to try something different to succeed I think that’s great. When much of the strong opinions come out about cheating, I come out honest and hard *(So do others) when someone starts failing within the first 21 days. Since this is when the newbies can actually put their health at risk. (When they are suppose to be on liquids and jump on solids) That’s when you get the tough love from Lisa. Otherwise do what works for you.

I hope for your success!

Best,

Lisa

Hi Jessica,

I am getting another fill soon. I was really late getting the first one because of my son's wedding in July. My first fill was at around 10 weeks. The doctor suggested I wait for 2 to 4 weeks so I am going to call today to see if they can get me in in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheryl

Painter,

I actually asked about this issue quite some time ago. Not because I am having slow weightloss (but when is it ever fast enough??) but because I think what you are doing is a GREAT idea.

I also think that going to weight watchers or some other group to get additional motivation and support would be a great idea for people that are not losing weight on their own.

Like we always say, the band is a tool, not a magic wand that magically removes calories as food passes through it into our stomach. Let's face it. We still have to DIET and EXERCISE. The band just makes the dieting easier!

Hi Painter,

I have joined Wieght Watchers with my dad and sister for the accountability of wieghing in every week. I never felt that I ate so much I needed to count the points though. And I do like the support and food ideas I get from the meetings. At first I was losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Then for about 6 weeks I gained and lost and gained and lost. I was so frustrated. Then I realized I was eating as much as my sister who does not have a band. OMG!!

I get my fills done here in Las Vegas, so I scheduled another fill and spoke with the doctor here. His suggestion was to try to stay at 1000 calories a day or under, cut carbs, and excercise. The first week (also with my fill, I'm at 2.6 cc) I lost 5.6 pounds. The second week, I lost 2.6 pounds. Thursday will be the 3rd week, so I am hoping that I loose another 2 pounds or so. I feel much more motivated.

I have lost 40 pounds since my surgery in Feb. I started at 226 and am down to 186. I am constantly thinking that I should have lost more by now, But my husband reminds me that even though I could be losing wieght faster, I am losing it at a rate that is comfortable for me. I would do better if I excercised more, but I have a very demanding job, 3 kids and very lttle time. My mom just bought me a treadmill for my Bday So hopefully that will make it easier to work in the excercise. I take it a day at a time, and since the fill, I actually don't feel hungry hardly ever, so that helps :)

I think everyone has to find what works for them, whatever that is. There is a lot of great advice, support, and ideas here as well.

Slow wieght loss, is still wieght loss. Good Luck and I hope the carb cutting works for you as well.

Christi

I have been successful in the past with low carb. over the past 3 or 4 years, I just had 0 will power to do it. I think once I hit my 21 day post-op, I am going to attempt 20 carbs a day. At least until I get my first fill...... I am so worried about those 3 weeks without band help.....

And I am starving now.................... I would love a big ole piece of protein!!!

Best of luck with the low carbs.

I always used the ketosis strips to see if I was hitting the mark.

Hi Cheryl,

You're not alone, I will be 55 this November. Since I follow Dr Miranda's food plan, I automaticaly fall into a low carb diet and make sure I get enough protein too. I eat spinage everyday. I also get some carbs from eating berries and yogurt.

For some reason, I don't crave bread anymore, or cereal. I drink my coffee black, and then it's plan water or with some added lemon.

Because of our age I think that exercise is even more important to get the weigh off.

See, honey, you are not alone.

By the way...I love the RED gloves and hat...very cool

I low carb it too...nothing wrong with it. Good luck to you!

Blessings to All,

Okay in light of all the angry posts on here I know I am really sticking my neck out but here goes. Yes I admit it I am a cheater. I am no good at low calorie diets and never have been. I know my band is a tool but at present I don't have enough restriction to do much good (1cc in a 4cc band). I finally went to low carb. Yes I know it's another diet but I had to get the sugar out of my system. Since I am in my 50's I lose slow to begin with but my weight had started to go up and I was very discouraged. I love hearing the success stories on here but sometimes I wonder if I am the only one that can't seem to get it right so yes it is a comfort to know I'm not alone. Anyway on the up side I lost 2.5 pounds in less than a week by banishing the carbs in my diet. Hallelujah! Yes I know alot of it is water but I couldn't seem to lose before plus my cravings have stopped (and I am PMS'ing). It occurred to me that Dr. Miranda had more or less encouraged a low carb diet in the first place as those with restriction often seem to say that by the time they eat their veggies and protein there is no room for carbs so I figured, what the heck why not give it a try. For those of you that are struggling like me it might be worth a try. Of course it helps if you have an MD that is supportive of that (mine is) as you should be monitored. I am doing the Atkins 20 carb a day induction plan at the moment. Feel free to email me privately if you like, it will remain private!

Hugs to all of you,

Cheryl

Thanks Kim, sometimes I feel kind of invisible on this board. It really helps to get some feedback!

Cheryl

Good for you, you already know how I feel about the subject! You are doing wonderful. Just hang in there and take it day by day, that is all we can do!!

Hi Painter,

I have joined Wieght Watchers with my dad and sister for the accountability of wieghing in every week. I never felt that I ate so much I needed to count the points though. And I do like the support and food ideas I get from the meetings. At first I was losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Then for about 6 weeks I gained and lost and gained and lost. I was so frustrated. Then I realized I was eating as much as my sister who does not have a band. OMG!!

I get my fills done here in Las Vegas, so I scheduled another fill and spoke with the doctor here. His suggestion was to try to stay at 1000 calories a day or under, cut carbs, and excercise. The first week (also with my fill, I'm at 2.6 cc) I lost 5.6 pounds. The second week, I lost 2.6 pounds. Thursday will be the 3rd week, so I am hoping that I loose another 2 pounds or so. I feel much more motivated.

I have lost 40 pounds since my surgery in Feb. I started at 226 and am down to 186. I am constantly thinking that I should have lost more by now, But my husband reminds me that even though I could be losing wieght faster, I am losing it at a rate that is comfortable for me. I would do better if I excercised more, but I have a very demanding job, 3 kids and very lttle time. My mom just bought me a treadmill for my Bday So hopefully that will make it easier to work in the excercise. I take it a day at a time, and since the fill, I actually don't feel hungry hardly ever, so that helps :)

I think everyone has to find what works for them, whatever that is. There is a lot of great advice, support, and ideas here as well.

Slow wieght loss, is still wieght loss. Good Luck and I hope the carb cutting works for you as well.

Christi

Christi ~ Good job, you are doing GREAT!! Keep up the good work.

Hi Painter -

I have been on the low carb since I got banded. I stay with the 1st stage of the South Beach Diet. I am in my early 50's so I know what you mean. Weight does not come off very easy. I have pumped up my excersises now. I walk 3-4 miles every other day and do arobics everyday except Sunday. I just know that this will take some time to loose the weight, so am just enjoying the ride. I feel so much better these days then I did a year ago. I say whatever we can do to help our band work for us, go for it.

Bobbi

I am so sorry you have felt invisible! You are definately not alone, though. Frankly, there is nothing in any of the band literature that says you cannot use a weight loss program with the band, as long as you follow the band basics, too. Since you can easily meet these basics with the low carb diet, go for it. Weight Watchers, any of them... whatever keeps you on-track.

Basically, Dr. Miranda's plan is low carb. After each fill, I find I can eat less and less, (of course... that is the point...) and I have had trouble getting past the protein portion several times. I basically never get to the carb portion, and usually don't get the fruit, either. That just leaves protein and veggies.

You are definitely not alone!

I know I havent been on the forum as much as i used to...but i pop in once a week or so to see whats going on. I really liked this post for a few reasons...I have been stuck in a rut for about 2 months now. I should be almost to 60 lbs lost around the end of the month (at the pace i was going) but now im struggling to get past 42-45...its driving me crazy.

It doesnt help that I have the worst sweet tooth EVER and that I have had a "relapse" if you will! When i get home I want to snack on something, then i want dinner, and of course i need something sweet afterwards.

I see that you mentioned that you dont have any cravings anymore, and also that youve lost weight. I think this was just the post to get me back into the game. I love the high I get when i lose a pound or 2 in a week. Its so refreshing...i have lost sight of that latley. I think i am going to def. cut way back on the carbs- bc, yes, usually there isnt any room for them anyway. maybe if i can go a week without any sugars I will be on my way to -50! thanks for sharing your new plan. Whatever works! :D