drinking causing restriction?!?!

hey all. i'm now about about 1 month banded and not had my first fill yet. i am restricting myself and seem to feel full on about 1/3 amount i used to eat - don't know though that i actually am feeling any actual restriction except....

the other night i realized that i was feeling very dehydrated and i'm having a bugger of a time getting in my water because of that one hour before / one hour after food rule. by the time i can have water, i'm starting to get hungry again (because of my small portions) and i have time to squeeze in maybe 1 glass of water before i start counting down another hour to eat. anyway... had some water. didn't chug it but also didn't wait for each and every sip to "drain" before the next. i started feeling nauseous suddenly and instantly knew it had to be related to the water and the speed that i drank. again i tell you i definitely did not chug it! the feeling and the taste in my mouth brought on a familiarity and i realized i had been through this about a week before and thought it was my crushed vitamin. it's happened once in between also. total of 3 times now.

can water cause this nausea?? is it because my pouch fills faster than it can drain? sipping slowly, i just can't manage to get in enough liquids before i have to quit in order to time out my meals.

advise?

also, i am the kind that if i go for more than 2 1/2 - 3 hrs between eating, i get the shakes and very faint feeling. so i really don't have a huge window of opportunity here.

You can defiantly drink faster than the water can drain from your pouch. Slow down and you'll be fine. Also, where did you hear that you can't drink 1 hour before eating? I've never heard that rule and it means that there's a significant chunk of the day you cannot drink when you need to be getting fluids as much as possible. On an empty stomach fluids will not take long to move through your stomach. Take a bottle of water and hold it upside down and let it drain out to see what I mean.

Not drinking for an hour after eating is important though as it will move the food through your pouch faster than it would be otherwise.

You can defiantly drink faster than the water can drain from your pouch. Slow down and you'll be fine. Also, where did you hear that you can't drink 1 hour before eating? I've never heard that rule and it means that there's a significant chunk of the day you cannot drink when you need to be getting fluids as much as possible. On an empty stomach fluids will not take long to move through your stomach. Take a bottle of water and hold it upside down and let it drain out to see what I mean.

Not drinking for an hour after eating is important though as it will move the food through your pouch faster than it would be otherwise.

the one hour before and after was from dr. ortiz - straight from the horses mouth?!

There has always been a debate about drinking BEFORE eating. Dr. Miranda at my pre-op told me to drink as much as I wanted up until the moment I start eating.....

And I do. Sometimes cold liquids tighten you up while hot ones can loosen you up. My guess is that is why they sometimes say not to drink before, in case it affects your fill/how much you can eat at that moment. If I couldn't or didn't drink for 1 hour before I wouldn't be able to get enough water either. Maybe email her and see what she says?

I was also told not to drink an hour before meals, although it never made much sense to me! LOL

i definitely don't get it because it stands to reason that once the liquid has drained from your pouch, it will be long gone before food can mix with it. i know that many bariatric docs say no liquid with food because it dilutes the acidic digestive juices and your body has a harder time processing the food. maybe that's why?

I remember being told the same thing by Dr. Miranda.

Since being banded I have read other information. The not drinking before is off base. You just don't want to drink after you eat because it will flush the food faster into the stomach. You don't get the full feeling for very long if you do this.

My fill doctor called it "Flushing" she compared it to a clog in a toilet. You know if you keep pouring water on the clog it eventually goes down. She said patients that "Flush" typically have poor results with the band.

Dr O usually says to stop drinking 15 minutes before eating, not an hour. Warm drinks will relax the stoma and allow more food to go through, while iced drinks will close up the stoma so you can't eat. However, he has gone on to say in one of his videos, I think, that the before eating rule isn't really that important.

If you are feeling weak and shaky a couple hours after eating, it sounds like your blood sugar is dropping too low. If you are eating something high in carbs, that will happen. Increase your protein and decrease your carb intake, and the weak and shaky feelings should stop.

Hey, I just thought of something. If cold drinks make your band tighten, then those people who are having trouble with restriction, couldn't they just drink ice water before a meal to help with this? I am not banded yet, so I am just wondering since I know that the period of time comes when you don't have a fill yet and also don't have restriction. Would drinking ice water through out the day help us get through the "bandster hell" everyone talks about?

Jessica

I also heard from someone at the OCC, I can't remember who, 15 minutes before you start eating.

In the book I read (Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band) the author, Dr. Robert Sewell, says stop drinking 15 minutes before eating and then nothing to drink for 2 hours after eating. Does anyone have Dr. O's book to see if he says anything in it about when and when not to drink liquids. I'm really curious because out of the entire Lap Band experience this is the one and only thing I have so much trouble with - not drinking during meals.