pre-op weight loss

im curious to know what does pre-op weight loss really mean, i gues what I'm trying to say is that are you required to loss weight on our own before you go into surgery?? I'm schduled for the 29th of this month and I've only gone down about 3lbs since I had my initial consultation. That's because I'm killing myself, because i refuse to just let myself go because my surgery is coming up....any advice is appreciated :D

First of all mari02... :lb9:

Pre-op weight loss that is required by the OCC is 5% of your actual weight. If you are being banded somewhere else though I don't know the answers. Dr. Miranda, the nutritionist will recommend a diet for you or perhaps the consultant told you about it. they say to start it 2 weeks before surgery but I always encourage people to start it as early as possible so as not to have so much pressure to lose so much in 2 weeks. Anyway it's usually 2 slim-fast type drinkg, and a lean cuisine for dinner. It depends also on how much you have to lose,the recommendations are based on this somewhat I think. How much do you have to lose? If it's even only 10# I urge you to start making eating changes now to help aid your weight loss efforts down the road. Hope this helps.

First of all mari02... :lb9:

Pre-op weight loss that is required by the OCC is 5% of your actual weight. If you are being banded somewhere else though I don't know the answers. Dr. Miranda, the nutritionist will recommend a diet for you or perhaps the consultant told you about it. they say to start it 2 weeks before surgery but I always encourage people to start it as early as possible so as not to have so much pressure to lose so much in 2 weeks. Anyway it's usually 2 slim-fast type drinkg, and a lean cuisine for dinner. It depends also on how much you have to lose,the recommendations are based on this somewhat I think. How much do you have to lose? If it's even only 10# I urge you to start making eating changes now to help aid your weight loss efforts down the road. Hope this helps.

I'm being banded in NJ by an incredible group. They are actually one of the top Lap band surgeons here on the east coast.... www.lap-bandassociates.com. Everything happend very quick, I even scheduled my surgery at the first consultation vists. I'm so grateful to god that my insurance is covering the procedure. My highest weight was 258. I'm now down to 231, but that came with extreme struggle. My weight was and still is a complete disaster to me. I even refuse to take pictures because I look gigantic. That's when I said, look into this. When I had my first visit, I was 235, but I'm taking diet pills because i cannot do it on my own, but with great struggle, I've learned to eat better, and change the way I view food. I know with my new way of eating plus my lap-band, success is waiting for me.

Well good for you...you've gotten in very quickly to a US facility. Most places you have like 6 months to a year to get your surgery and many, many hoops to jump through. I am surprised they are not having you see a nutritionist. Perhaps they will and should if they are one of the top facilities. Great success to you. You are more than welcome here but just to let you know so that if things sound different than your Dr's orders most of the people on this forum were banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, the world's leading lapband surgeon that the company who makes the lapbands trained. Most of us also were self-pay so great that your insurance is going to pay for it. Keep in touch.

I'm taking diet pills because i cannot do it on my own

You need to tell them you are taking diet pills. They have caused complications in surgery. Somebody else told their surgeon they were taking diet pills and they had to reschedule it to get the diet pills out of their system.

He actually knows about them and said to stop taking them because I dont need them anymore....and it's a waste of money, I have my instruction sheet here and it says to stop coumadin 5 days before surgery and stop aspirin, advil, motrin two weeks before surgery. I'm going to take your advice and stop them all together.........I pray I dont ballon the weight back before my surgery :)

He actually knows about them and said to stop taking them because I dont need them anymore....and it's a waste of money, I have my instruction sheet here and it says to stop coumadin 5 days before surgery and stop aspirin, advil, motrin two weeks before surgery. I'm going to take your advice and stop them all together.........I pray I dont ballon the weight back before my surgery :)

Good plan! You can do it!!!! Just take it one day at a time. Try to have a plan for when you do get hungry and can't eat.... it's hard, but plan a craft, game, or walk so when it hits you'll know what to do. :)