Finally took a stand!

So all of you know how my Dr. gives those teeny tiny fills. I have been threatening to go somewhere else for awhile now and today I finally made an appt near New Orleans. I have had 4 fills and have a total of 1.8cc in my band. I have restriction in the morning, but by night it is gone. I am gonna see the fill Dr. that Trina uses.

My appt is next Friday.

So all of you know how my Dr. gives those teeny tiny fills. I have been threatening to go somewhere else for awhile now and today I finally made an appt near New Orleans. I have had 4 fills and have a total of 1.8cc in my band. I have restriction in the morning, but by night it is gone. I am gonna see the fill Dr. that Trina uses.

My appt is next Friday.

Good for you Kim!!! Sounds like my long distressful story! I had a very conservative fill doctor as well. I've had 8 fills, and NO restriction! I was banded over a year ago, and had only lost 35 pounds, and most of that was during the post-op diet! I had totally GIVEN UP. I thought the band was just NOT gonna work for me!

Well, last week I went to TN. (where I am from originally) I had my cousin to give me a fill. She is a registered nurse, has a band, and has been trained to do fills. She even does her own. Well, she gave me a GOOD fill. Now, I know what everyone has been talking about! It actually makes sense to me now!! I'm losing again!!!! It's WONDERFUL. So, my advice to ANYONE who is stuck with a doctor who BARELY gives you a fill....FIND another doctor!!! Don't mess around with it. Get it right, and get on with it!!! If you have to drive a little further....it's worth it in the long run!

Good Luck Kim!

Donna

Good for you Kim... I was about to PM you his information but good thing I read this thread first because looks like you dont need it anymore... I am sorry I havent got it to you sooner but they are blocking all of the websites at work and I cant get on at work anymore <_< So i have to wait until I get home and post now... SUCKS!

So are you just not going to go to Dr. Avara anymore? If you do, is he going to say anything about you getting fills somewhere else?

Hi Kim, Good for you.

I've got to say that you have lost 60 lbs in less than six months and I think that is a good pace. It would be even better if you didn't have to be hungry and get the right fill.

I am thinking that I might be dealing with a similar (small fill doctor), I have two fills and 1.5 CC

Let us know how you make out?

Stop the presses! Change of plans! LOL

I talked to Trina earlier and she said her Dr. only gives a big fill the 1st time and then he gives teeny ones. I am gonna go with another girl that has a band to Baton Rouge, LA. They fill your band until you can "fill it squeeze around your stomach" and then they make sure you can keep water down. They will then refill or unfill you within 2 weeks if you need it. I am gonna cancel the one in Kenner and go this route.

Thanks girlbarb~I know I have done very well, but I have also worked my ass off (literally) to get where I am. It would be so nice to get a fill that will really work for me to control my portions. ;)

I feel bad to tell you this because of the small fills you've been getting, but I got my first fill last Saturday at OCC and I got 2.2 cc. Now, I'm not feeling anything yet, but I'm sure it will come.

Good luck in your search for a decent fill, you deserve it!!!

Guest CaraMBA09

why are doctors in the US such control freaks?!

I was told by a lap band doctor up here that I had to "gain 20 more lbs to qualify" I was like: "are you kidding? I have to gain to lose? Do you know how stupid you sound?"

Kim, do you not have a fill center location near you?

The closest one is in Georgia. It is a 6-7 hr drive for me. :huh:

Dang, Kim... it would be cheaper for you to fly back and forth than to drive! I wish you were coming while I will be in Baton Rouge visiting my mom around the 10th. My brother's divorce court date is the 12th. Any day after that I could meet up with you.

My appt is next Friday.

Good for you. I hope that you get the results that you are looking for. I would be frustrated with the little fills too. Do you ever wonder if some docs do small fills so that you have to come back many more times and this means more money for them? I do worry about this. Some docs trying to rack up the money with fills.

Jessica

Like you, I exercise my butt off. Also I don't have restriction, i have 1.2 on my first fill and was told that they usually do 2 on the first fill. So when I went for my second fill, I expected .8, she only gave me .3 and said that I would have great restriction. I don't. I have to fight from overeating all the time. I wonder if I insist on a bigger fill if they will give me one... I go back on the 3rd of September. Kim, I hope you get the fill you want, let us know.

They should, sit down with them and have a frank discussion. I've always worked hand in hand with the person giving my fills. But also on the safe side, check their unfill policy, I have seen someone too tight and they were at a point that it was pretty scary looking.

Many doctors may be afraid of filling you too tight and causing a flip. My weight loss center worked with me and had discussions with me long enough that we got to the point were it was a great team effort.

Good luck!